merida eone sixty 800 confusion

Topgrin

Nov 1, 2018
KESWICK
Hi folks,

New to the forum trying to understand the maze that appears to be eMtb. Can someone perhaps explain the difference between the following?

And perhaps where this fits in with the two?

This will be my first full suspension bike and first ebike, I currently ride the Whyte 905, as an old school BMX boy (now an old man) I still like to think throwing a bike around is everything and I guess I'm looking to do that with a full suspension e bike. Thanks in anticipation.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
At a basic level, ignoring components, they are both Enduro bikes, but the Merida is at the Trail Enduro end of the spectrum and the Vitus as the DH Enduro end.

The Vitus is a longer travel and slacker bike with a lower BB, meaning its geometry is very much geared towards descending, something it is incredibly good at - its also very good at going up, but its weak spot would be tight and twisty single track, where it might not feel as nimble as a bike with shorter geometry, and you will have to put more effort into riding it.

The Merida is also very good at descending and ascending, but the Vitus would have the edge if you are going to be railing it down steep/dh stuff, but would be overkill for just cruising around. I haven't ridden the Merida but it has a very good rep, and might edge out the Vitus on tighter stuff. Both fine for flinging yourself off jumps.

Overall probably not much in it, depends as much on your riding style and geometry preferences.

The Vitus is better value for money in terms of the kit you get, but none of them is going to let you down.

The other bike worth considering if looking at these is one of the Commencal Meta Powers or the Canyon, which both runs the shimano drivetrain

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
The two Merida links are the same bike. It's the eOne Sixty 800 and at that price it's a steal. Can't comment on the Vitus but I've got the Merida and it's mint!

Topgrin

Nov 1, 2018
KESWICK
At a basic level, ignoring components, they are both Enduro bikes, but the Merida is at the Trail Enduro end of the spectrum and the Vitus as the DH Enduro end.

The Vitus is a longer travel and slacker bike with a lower BB, meaning its geometry is very much geared towards descending, something it is incredibly good at - its also very good at going up, but its weak spot would be tight and twisty single track, where it might not feel as nimble as a bike with shorter geometry, and you will have to put more effort into riding it.

The Merida is also very good at descending and ascending, but the Vitus would have the edge if you are going to be railing it down steep/dh stuff, but would be overkill for just cruising around. I haven't ridden the Merida but it has a very good rep, and might edge out the Vitus on tighter stuff. Both fine for flinging yourself off jumps.

Overall probably not much in it, depends as much on your riding style and geometry preferences.

The Vitus is better value for money in terms of the kit you get, but none of them is going to let you down.

The other bike worth considering if looking at these is one of the Commencal Meta Powers or the Canyon, which both runs the shimano drivetrain

Thank you ever so much I now understand so many of the terms I have been reading. Down hill is my main interest so it does sound like the Vitus makes more sense but those Canyons are nice to look at .... I will take more time to digest their options, I mean one with a 29" wheel on the front and a 27.5" on the back - whats that all about?!
I love my Whyte 905 I suspect that would be described as slack then as it was so easy to handle DH. Thanks!

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Thank you ever so much I now understand so many of the terms I have been reading. Down hill is my main interest so it does sound like the Vitus makes more sense but those Canyons are nice to look at .... I will take more time to digest their options, I mean one with a 29" wheel on the front and a 27.5" on the back - whats that all about?!
Pretty simple really, they are going for max grip on the back for climbing whilst avoiding the slightly floaty, indirect feel that can come with a plus tyre on the front. Since the rolling diameters of a 29er 2.35” and a 27.5+ are very similar this combo is becoming more popular on ebikes

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
I'm sure the Vitus is every bit a riot to ride as the eOne Sixty but just be aware they will be like be like rocking horse shit to get hold of. Good luck!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Vitus comes with 2.5 tyres, so not plus, which makes a big difference to the directness of the handling.

Without getting a full DH EMTB, which is a very heavily compromised bike for everything but DH, i personally think the Vitus is probably the best descending EMTB out there, and this is as much to do with the suspension kinematics and spec as the geometry.

But i am biased :cool:

Topgrin

Nov 1, 2018
KESWICK
The Vitus comes with 2.5 tyres, so not plus, which makes a big difference to the directness of the handling.

Without getting a full DH EMTB, which is a very heavily compromised bike for everything but DH, i personally think the Vitus is probably the best descending EMTB out there, and this is as much to do with the suspension kinematics and spec as the geometry.

But i am biased :cool:

Right on mate thanks, I am leaning towards the Vitus and would probably have made the purchase if it was available but that is going to be a long wait until 31st of Dec ... and then will they have enough? Have you tried the 29" front 27.5" combo on any bike? It has really got me curious. As I mention downhill is my priority what does that combo mean for DH?

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The guy that developed the new Intense Tazer said they intended their new emtb to have 27+ front+rear. But during testing they tried a 29 up front and decided to go with 27+ rear and 29 front.. They prefered the steering precision and found it hooked up great in turns. I haven't tested much my self, but after a few rides with 29x2,3 up front I'm warming to the idea.

Topgrin

Nov 1, 2018
KESWICK
The guy that developed the new Intense Tazer said they intended their new emtb to have 27+ front+rear. But during testing they tried a 29 up front and decided to go with 27+ rear and 29 front.. They prefered the steering precision and found it hooked up great in turns. I haven't tested much my self, but after a few rides with 29x2,3 up front I'm warming to the idea.
thanks mate, i am really close to getting the canyon spectral on 7 had it in my cart last night just hesitated as was not sure if needed the charger as offered as an extra but confirmed today that does come with charger and that is a second they offer - thanks again!

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I've done a few rides on a Merida eOne-Sixty with a 29er up front lately and I'm starting to like it. But there are conditions where I prefer Plus front and rear.

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
I'm really getting to grips with plus tyres. How they hold up in sloppy Yorkshire off piste conditions I'm still to test but so far, so good. Running 20/22 pressures (80kg rider) and it rides really, really well although thinking of sticking a Vittoria Airliner in the back just as a precaution. I wouldn't entertain the thought of sticking a 29er on the front. Horses for courses but I'm predominantly riding steep, technical descents so I don't believe a larger front would enhance the fun factor for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles