Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

roanschuurman

May 14, 2023
Australia
Just bought the E2 and then read about the issue with the e13 cranks. Is that still an issue? Someone told me that it was because of a bad batch and that this has been solved. Not sure if that was the case.
I read the instructions on the e13 website on how to check and fix the cranks but couldn’t find an definitive answer what now the cause was. Thx

Flip Flop

Jun 6, 2022
UK
IMG_2621.jpeg

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Just bought the E2 and then read about the issue with the e13 cranks. Is that still an issue? Someone told me that it was because of a bad batch and that this has been solved. Not sure if that was the case.
I read the instructions on the e13 website on how to check and fix the cranks but couldn’t find an definitive answer what now the cause was. Thx
It is solved they say, but I contacted Marin anyway and they supplied me with XT cranks free, as Shimano only recommend their own cranks with the EP8 motor.

roanschuurman

May 14, 2023
Australia
I just got my 2022 Marin E2, great machine!
Just wondering, I got it with the Sunrace mz casette and when shift it makes a lot of noice. Shift is fast but hard, if that makes sense. Anyone else have the same experience. Also it come with a deore rotor on the front while I thought the brake system was full slx. For the rest a beast!!

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Shame you didn't get the E2, it's a brilliant bike.
At the time, the E1 was the only thing in my price range that was in stock. I've had a great time on it. My local mountain next to me is a 500m climb, so my battery would be below 60% on a single climb and it was no fun trying to manage the battery all the time.

Deep.5

Dec 22, 2021
Marin County
I just got my 2022 Marin E2, great machine!
Just wondering, I got it with the Sunrace mz casette and when shift it makes a lot of noice. Shift is fast but hard, if that makes sense. Anyone else have the same experience. Also it come with a deore rotor on the front while I thought the brake system was full slx. For the rest a beast!!
Yeah I noticed that also- theres a big Klunk when you shift.
Has anyone put a bashguard on?
I have a Oneup bashguard I could use bit I guess the e13 chainring is 38 tooth so the oneup bash isn’t compatible.
I smashed the chainring on a rock and broke a tooth so I’m going to replace it and hoping to prevent a repeat.
This is a fun bike and i get a bit carried away smashing down stuff.
Definitely recommend it.

Deep.5

Dec 22, 2021
Marin County
Also- what kind of tire pressures are you running ?
I’m usually running lower pressures like 18/20
Sometimes lower since I don’t go that fast and conditions are loose and getting dry.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Has anyone put a bashguard on?
I came back to this thread to find out the same thing. Have caught my chainring a few times now, so would be a good idea to protect it if I can. Would be interested to know if anyone has found one that will fit.

I also think that the fact that it's a 38 tooth makes it a bit more vulnerable. Not sure that it really needs to be that big. Has anyone tried a smaller chainring? Any downsides?

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Does anyone know where the e2 serial/frame number is located and how many characters it is? Start with an "F"?
It's just behind the motor. Where the rear triangle meets the frame/bottom bracket area if I remember right. It's a bit of a pain to see/read.

My E1 starts with an MD, for Medium sizing I imagine.

Last edited:

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
My E2 has the Sunrace cassette (I've also seen the specs showing SLX) which has the five(?) largest sprockets in a one-piece unit, but the remaining smaller ones go on individually.

Problem is that there's a lot of movement on the spines (rotational, not side to side) so whilst the one gear I'm using might be quiet (because it has the chain on it), the rest of the cassette is rattling around making a right old racket. Anyone else had this? Is this a hub or cassette issue? I would have thought the sprockets should be relatively snug on the splines, but they move a few mm back and forth. Have had a look at the driver and the splines don't seem particularly worn. Bike has done 500km.

Thoughts?

toby2222

Mar 13, 2023
UK
I'm after some rider input on rear tyres, I need to change my maxxis assegai and want to go for something a bit sturdier. What are you guys running?

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
I put on a schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 in. Super gravity casing on the rear. Its fantastic. I never want to run a Maxxis on my bike again i found it to be that good. I also run cushcore.

I have an assegai DH casing on the rear on another bike, with cushcore and that feels ok too.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
I'm after some rider input on rear tyres, I need to change my maxxis assegai and want to go for something a bit sturdier. What are you guys running?
What casing is on the existing Assegai that you find too 'unsturdy'? I gave up on Exo and Exo+ years ago as I was constantly getting sidewall punctures (even with a cushcore), but have found the DD and DH casings to be much more robust. I'm currently running a DD Assegai and will be replacing it with the same when it wears out.

toby2222

Mar 13, 2023
UK
What casing is on the existing Assegai that you find too 'unsturdy'? I gave up on Exo and Exo+ years ago as I was constantly getting sidewall punctures (even with a cushcore), but have found the DD and DH casings to be much more robust. I'm currently running a DD Assegai and will be replacing it with the same when it wears out.
It's an exo+, I looked into the DD and they only go up to 2.50, I've just ordered a Schwalbe Eddy Current super gravity after talking to a couple of other ebikers yesterday. I used to run Schwalbe so I'll see how I get on this time round.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
I looked into the DD and they only go up to 2.50
Fair enough - 2.50 is wide enough for me. I had 2.8s on my previous bike and eventually got rid of them as they were just too vague. I gave the Vee Rubber 2.8s a try on this bike, but again didn't like them.

If you happen to be passing Sydney any time soon, you can have my lightly used 2.8 Vee's if you want them!

roanschuurman

May 14, 2023
Australia
My E2 has the Sunrace cassette (I've also seen the specs showing SLX) which has the five(?) largest sprockets in a one-piece unit, but the remaining smaller ones go on individually.

Problem is that there's a lot of movement on the spines (rotational, not side to side) so whilst the one gear I'm using might be quiet (because it has the chain on it), the rest of the cassette is rattling around making a right old racket. Anyone else had this? Is this a hub or cassette issue? I would have thought the sprockets should be relatively snug on the splines, but they move a few mm back and forth. Have had a look at the driver and the splines don't seem particularly worn. Bike has done 500km.

Thoughts?
I got sunrace and had issues with shifting from day one. I have read in other forums unrelated to Marin e2 people had issues with the Sunrace XT combo not shifting properly between 4 and 5. SLX is what it should be, the put sunrace on it due to stock issues apparently. My bike goes back for warranty check and will ask for SLX. Thing with the sunrace is that it got Marin hubs which are not microspline so you cannot change to SLX or XT without changing hub. Tbh it is a bit annoying that they say it is XT/SLX drivetrain and only put a XT derailleur on it.. That is how they keep cost low

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
I got sunrace and had issues with shifting from day one. I have read in other forums unrelated to Marin e2 people had issues with the Sunrace XT combo not shifting properly between 4 and 5. SLX is what it should be, the put sunrace on it due to stock issues apparently. My bike goes back for warranty check and will ask for SLX. Thing with the sunrace is that it got Marin hubs which are not microspline so you cannot change to SLX or XT without changing hub. Tbh it is a bit annoying that they say it is XT/SLX drivetrain and only put a XT derailleur on it.. That is how they keep cost low
Not gonna lie, I wouldn't have accepted the bike like that, as the specs (including cassette and hubs) was a big part of why I went for an E2. It's scandalous that in order to get it back to 'as advertised' you'd have to change the rims as well. I'd be asking Marin to pay for that - I was pissed off that mine came with Vee tyres and not the Maxxis as specced, but at least the shop set it up tubeless for me to compensate!

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Not gonna lie, I wouldn't have accepted the bike like that,
I suppose it depends when you bought it - I got mine about 8 months ago and at that time the supply issues from Covid were still a big issue. Mine came with Vee Rubber instead of Maxxis, plus the Sunrace cassette and a 50mm stem instead of 35mm - but it was a choice of the Marin, or not a lot else (I'm in Aus - we're pretty much last on the list of where bikes get sent).

I got the cassette issue sorted by using a bit of wire to take up the slack between the cassette and the splines - and I'm pretty pleased with the rest of the bike, so I'm happy to cut them a bit of slack re the few bits they had to change with the specs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles