Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Better picture of the bottle cage adaptor.

16794043360278997970825752437898.jpg 16794043901123828226431728198237.jpg

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Well while I'm on, the bike is almost 1 year old now, haven't once regretted getting it, slowly making it my own with the blue additions (have the oneup components V3 remote dropper lever coming tomorrow, which with the blue thumb pad will look nice).
For now though...loving it...

IMG20230321124201.jpg IMG20230321124208.jpg

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Those blue additions look really good! Did you add the DT Swiss rims? What front and rear hubs did you get? Do you like the rims and hubs?
Just got back from the second ride on them - and yes, had them hand built to this spec. The Pro5 hubs just roll forever - I ride the same trails all the time, mostly and I'm finding I'm pedalling much less on the flats and certainly on anything that's even slightly 'down'. It now holds its speed so much better.
Also it feels 'poppier' so it leaves the ground more easily due to the lighter, stiffer rims.

I think I've probably made just about the best upgrade I could have. I didn't think the stock wheelset was too bad, but now having had a couple of rides on the DT swiss and Pro5s'...wow - WHAT a difference.

toby2222

Mar 13, 2023
UK
Has anyone changed there brakes to sram on there E1? If so, what did you do with the shifter as its mounted to the shimano lever, I know there is matchmaker style brackets, I'm just wondering what other people have used.

Cramman

Oct 22, 2022
South Shields
Can people post what weight coil they are running and their weight please?

At 95kg with kit I think the 450lbs spring is a little soft. Can't decide on 500 or 550 so wondering id others have already done some trial and error.

Scottro7

Mar 27, 2023
United States

At 95kg with kit I think the 450lbs spring is a little soft. Can't decide on 500 or 550 so wondering id others have already done some trial and error.
I am around 195 lbs fully geared up and the stock spring is really nice for me. I ride heavy chunk, downhill, and lots of jumps.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022

93/4 kg here, 450lb is perfect for me. Did have pedal strikes on the E13 165mm cranks, but none since I went to 160mm XT cranks and 5mm thinner Hope F20 pedals. I love the feel of the 450.
If you are unsure, have you thought of getting a Sprindex? Perfect for working out the best rating for you.

Cramman

Oct 22, 2022
South Shields
93/4 kg here, 450lb is perfect for me. Did have pedal strikes on the E13 165mm cranks, but none since I went to 160mm XT cranks and 5mm thinner Hope F20 pedals. I love the feel of the 450.
If you are unsure, have you thought of getting a Sprindex? Perfect for working out the best rating for you.

I tried the Springdex on my old bike and what it said was 600 was very different to cane creek so a little put off

At a similar weight to you I find myself using all the travel all the time.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
I tried the Springdex on my old bike and what it said was 600 was very different to cane creek so a little put off

At a similar weight to you I find myself using all the travel all the time.
I'm glad I didn't try it then! 600 seems way off, though I was thinking of having one and keeping it on permanently just for the versatility of it, you know those days when you have a local ride with nothing but you and a water bottle or days away when you have the kitchen sink on your back! 😁

450 is perfect for me, with the correct sag so far I haven't bottomed out once and use 90% at least of the travel most rides.

I took all of the volume spacers out of the 38s too.

WantAnEMTB

Nov 13, 2021
Germany

I agree with the previous posts. I weigh around 95kg. The 450lbs spring is a little bit soft. Due to the low bottom bracket height I tend to ride with less sag on the rear. Didn't feel any bottom out or coil block. The spring offers much compression in comparison to the travel of the shock. You can apply some preload without risking coil block. I bought a 500lbs spring for trial but didn't find the time to install it.

Cheers, TJ

Fabdad

Sep 1, 2020
West Mids, UK
Here’s a few pics of my bike, had a couple of weeks, loving it so far. Added the small rear guard and bottle cage adapter which has worked out ok but I’ve added a couple of pieces of sticky backed Velcro cos there’s not a lot of room for the bottle and I was concerned that if any mud should get between the bottle and the frame it might end up rubbing through the paint plus it should stop any rattling. Think I’ll be looking to replace the 350lb spring cos I’m getting too much sag and have had more pedal strikes than I’ve had for ages. I’m about 83kg geared up and even with 5 or 6 turns of preload I’m getting more sag than I’d like so thinking a 400lb spring would be an improvement. I’ve ordered a 32mm socket to be able to see how many spacers are in the fork and have a play with the setup. Forks feel ok but not as supple as the Lyriks on my regular bike. Oh, another thing the dropper lever is a bit flexy so might replace that at some stage.

Scottro7

Mar 27, 2023
United States
My Marin E2 came stock with a Marin branded rear hub. Anybody know who makes those for Marin? Or if they are made by Marin? Any thoughts on rear hub changes / improvements or on how the Marin hub performs over time?

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
My Marin E2 came stock with a Marin branded rear hub. Anybody know who makes those for Marin? Or if they are made by Marin? Any thoughts on rear hub changes / improvements or on how the Marin hub performs over time?
I've had a new wheelset for the bike DT Swiss hybrid rims on pro 5 hubs. The difference is night and day, to the extent I've even noticed the battery draining less quickly. Also running rimpacts and maxxis instead of the Vees. Nothing wrong with the stock wheelset but obviously it's fairly heavy and doesn't roll as well.

toby2222

Mar 13, 2023
UK
I’d like to know this also 👍
Just been into my local bike shop and they couldn't answer but they had an E2 in medium and I had a look, took a pic. Mine is a large and the distance between the head tube and battery cover is longer than the E2 so I think it's a no, looks like the E2 battery is longer.

IMG_20230505_141602.jpg

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Does anyone know if I would be able to use the battery from an E2 in an E1?
Not a chance. The E1 takes the BTE-8035 and the E2 takes the BTE-8036. the BTE-8036 is a physically longer battery.

There is a battery, the BTE-8035L which is a 504wh battery thats just longer, to match the dimensions of the 8036, which Marin SHOULD have used in the E1 so you could easily upgrade the battery.

They didn't do this and the E1 is machined specifically for the 8035. This makes no sense as they need to have a separate manufacturing process for identical frames. You can see the battery on the E2 sits closer to the headtube than on the E1.
I looked into bottle cage range extender batteries for my E1 but the medium frame won't fit them. The piggy back on the shock gets in the way. Maybe a large or XL it would fit.

Looking online now....the 2023 E1 comes with the EP6 battery and BT8036 battery which solves some of the shortcomings of the original E1.

The E1 battery is the biggest reason I just bought a used Specialized Kenevo Turbo. I loved the E1, just not not the range I wanted from a bike. The 60nm motor was ok, I could live with that if I had more range.

The Kenevo from a feel, quality and ride is in a different league to the Marin. I still have the E1 as a 2nd bike, to go on rides with the wife on chill fire trails

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles