Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

Cramman

Oct 22, 2022
South Shields
What bottle cage/bottle are people running? I like the fabric cageless bottle but I think it'll only fit the little one, just wondering if anyone has a better option

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
I can see earlier in this thread there was some passing comments about whether it would be possible to fit a 29" wheel on the rear, but nothing definitive.

I wouldn't mind upping the front travel a bit, but doing so will only make the (already pretty slack) head angle even slacker, so was thinking I could balance this up by trying a 29 in the rear. There looks like there's a fair bit of room, but has anyone actually tried it?

Cramman

Oct 22, 2022
South Shields
I can see earlier in this thread there was some passing comments about whether it would be possible to fit a 29" wheel on the rear, but nothing definitive.

I wouldn't mind upping the front travel a bit, but doing so will only make the (already pretty slack) head angle even slacker, so was thinking I could balance this up by trying a 29 in the rear. There looks like there's a fair bit of room, but has anyone actually tried it?

That article details the changes you are talking about, 10mm longer on the front and 29 on the back, plus many other nice upgrades.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
That article details the changes you are talking about, 10mm longer on the front and 29 on the back, plus many other nice upgrades.
Thanks. Surprised I hadn't come across that one - yes, it look exactly like the sort of changed I want to make.

And on another note, has anyone else had any issues with the SLX brakes? Only a few rides in and have had the lever come back to the bar on both brakes. They pumped back up OK, but it just happened rolling off from a stop - ie not after a long downhill, not overheating etc. Just coming to a standstill after a climb, setting off and finding no brakes. I'll give them a bleed, but seems odd on a new bike.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Air in the lines. Probably trapped at the caliper behind the piston. Put a cup on top with fluid, tube on the caliper and open the caliper and use a piston spreader tool to push the pistons all the way in to push any trapped air out.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Just a little heads up for any UK owners on here. Have a new custom wheelset on the way. I was going to keep the originals and maybe use them in winter, but then realised I can't be arsed switching over, so if anyone wants a spare set of the stock wheels, make me an offer.
They'll be going in the sales page eventually.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Video from a quick ride the other day.
I've also been thinking of changing out my air spring in my Yari from a 160mm to a 180mm and putting a 27.5 wheel on the front. The extra 20mm travel height will be offset by a reduction of 20mm in ground to axle height, so everything should stay the same with the geo. I know I'll lose some roll over ability but the extra 20mm of travel could be good to have with a lighter front wheel. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

SamirRifai

Nov 15, 2021
Lima
It’s been a while, tomorrow I’ll go to my local trail after a few months (around 7).

Just finished setting up a new suspension to my E1: Zeb Ultimate 170mm, looks great, hope it feel awesome.

8FF85B14-1ECE-4795-8586-D321E9B08CD7.jpeg

0B7850B5-8CA4-4C01-AB2F-6F00FBC9E41E.jpeg

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Video from a quick ride the other day.
I've also been thinking of changing out my air spring in my Yari from a 160mm to a 180mm and putting a 27.5 wheel on the front. The extra 20mm travel height will be offset by a reduction of 20mm in ground to axle height, so everything should stay the same with the geo. I know I'll lose some roll over ability but the extra 20mm of travel could be good to have with a lighter front wheel. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I've seen someone go full 29er, not anyone go the other way, as you say the longer travel should mean you aren't messing with the geo. Let us know how it rides. Just ordered a new wheelset for mine, did briefly consider full 29er but stuck with mullet as I love how it rides and didn't want to mess with it with an expensive wheelset I might not like.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
It’s been a while, tomorrow I’ll go to my local trail after a few months (around 7).

Just finished setting up a new suspension to my E1: Zeb Ultimate 170mm, looks great, hope it feel awesome.

View attachment 108668

View attachment 108667
The Zeb looks great. So 10mm extra travel? If you are coming off 35's to those Zeb 38's you'll feel a huge difference, great upgrade.

SamirRifai

Nov 15, 2021
Lima
The Zeb looks great. So 10mm extra travel? If you are coming off 35's to those Zeb 38's you'll feel a huge difference, great upgrade.
Yep ditched the 35. Went to my local trail today, I felt so rusty. Never the less, instantly felt a massive improvement with the new fork.

toby2222

Mar 13, 2023
UK
What bottle cage/bottle are people running? I like the fabric cageless bottle but I think it'll only fit the little one, just wondering if anyone has a better option
I'm using a fidlock 450ml bottle with holder, fit is perfect on a Large.

toby2222

Mar 13, 2023
UK
New to EMTB and have an E1, I noticed a rattle when costing down rough ground, after some investigation and making sure everything was tight, I've narrowed it down to somewhere around the motor, when the bike is stationary you can put pressure on and off by hand on the pedals and hear a rattle, is this normal or should I take it back to the shop and get them to investigate?

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Pull your cable tight feom under the battery. Its a 2 handed job. Pull from the headtube outside the bike and feed it from under the battery. Probably the dropper cable.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Update on rattle, tried Pete-e1's suggestion and no luck. This is a video of the rattle.
I will check my E1 tonight.
How many kms are on the motor?
I thought I had a motor issue in December and Shimano said it was a worn "wave washer" which is common and an easy fix for them. It turns out my chain was just REALLY worn and not the wave washer at all.
Got to ask the obvious things....

Are your cranks tight on the bottom bracket spindle? Any sideways movement of the crank arms?

Is the clutch for the derailleur open or closed?

Are the three 6mm motor bolts tight in the frame?

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
I checked my motor. It moves freely when back pedalling. when cranking forward and backward like you were, I don't have anything like you have happening. It's probably time to contact your dealer/bike shop or Shimano.

toby2222

Mar 13, 2023
UK
I will check my E1 tonight.
How many kms are on the motor?
I thought I had a motor issue in December and Shimano said it was a worn "wave washer" which is common and an easy fix for them. It turns out my chain was just REALLY worn and not the wave washer at all.
Got to ask the obvious things....

Are your cranks tight on the bottom bracket spindle? Any sideways movement of the crank arms?

Is the clutch for the derailleur open or closed?

Are the three 6mm motor bolts tight in the frame?
So after a load of research it seems its a standard rattle on the ep8 motors and some of the m7000/m8000. Shimano know all about it and says its fine and nothing to worry about basically!

toby2222

Mar 13, 2023
UK
I checked my motor. It moves freely when back pedalling. when cranking forward and backward like you were, I don't have anything like you have happening. It's probably time to contact your dealer/bike shop or Shimano.
From what I've read I am unlikely to get anywhere with the shop as shimano say its nothing to worry about.
What I can't understand or find out is what it actually is making the noise and why do some have it and others not.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
If you have a strange noise coming from your bike, then it needs to be fixed by the shop/dealer. It comes down to your consumer rights. Products not working as expected, not of a quality you'd expect for the price, fit for their intended purpose etc.
The fact its nothing to worry about according to Shimano means nothing. If you have a bike that makes a noise that other bikes do not make, there is a problem. The bike wasn't intended to make that noise. If you like, I can take a video of my bike not making the noise that you can use to show them how your bike should sound.

What country are you in?

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
So after a load of research it seems its a standard rattle on the ep8 motors and some of the m7000/m8000. Shimano know all about it and says its fine and nothing to worry about basically!
I'm too late then! Was changing my wheels today and tested the cranks and same noise as yours, yet it's never bothered me when riding in fact didn't know it was there, something to do with the motor clutch? Anyway I'm assuming that that is the infamous EP8 rattle when going down rough trails?

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Right, this needs bigging up, big style. Bought this from someone who had the same problem as me with the shock wearing a hole in his water bottle so he designed and 3D printed this so's you can fit a 625ml bottle to the medium frame with loads of clearance. For £20 it's brilliant, fitted today. He even included free a really nift gadget so you can lube your chain by pedalling the drive train backwards. Top notch!

Here is the link...https://www.cyclesolvers.co.uk/

IMG20230316212312.jpg IMG20230316212202.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles