Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Very, very nice. Got the E2 but if I'd have had the choice I'd have had it in the red. Great looking bikes, really look like they mean business (and they do). Probably the most capable and bullet proof bike I've owned.
800 miles in and bloody love mine.
I've had nothing but issues with my E1.

- Crank arms falling off
- Battery degradation
- Bent rotors from new
- Battery falling out of the frame (frame had to be shipped back to be repaired which was done quickly and without any hassle). Battery has physical damage from where it has fallen out and struck the ground.
- Pivot bolts rounding out with correct torque applied (cheap alloy torx heads).
- Bent crank arm....but that was my fault

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
I've had nothing but issues with my E1.

- Crank arms falling off
- Battery degradation
- Bent rotors from new
- Battery falling out of the frame (frame had to be shipped back to be repaired which was done quickly and without any hassle). Battery has physical damage from where it has fallen out and struck the ground.
- Pivot bolts rounding out with correct torque applied (cheap alloy torx heads).
- Bent crank arm....but that was my fault

Wow - you do ride that bike hard! 😁

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Put a new set of cheap Shimano cranks on to keep it running. Pedal is still a bit bent but not too noticeable. I can live with it for now.

Got some more laps in at Helltrack.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
I've decided to sell the E1 and get a Canyon Torque:ON 7 when my size comes into stock.
E1 rides great. I just want a full 27.5 with loads more travel.

Quick blast down the local mountain yesterday. Still a bit wet in places.

Mar 10, 2022
United Kingdom
I've decided to sell the E1 and get a Canyon Torque:ON 7 when my size comes into stock.
E1 rides great. I just want a full 27.5 with loads more travel.

Quick blast down the local mountain yesterday. Still a bit wet in places.

I was thinking of getting a canyon torque on my self I am just worried about the seat angle that every review seems to complain about and the super low BB.
Just found a good deal on MARIN ALPINE TRAIL E2 so I am kind of on the fence right now.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
I was thinking of getting a canyon torque on my self I am just worried about the seat angle that every review seems to complain about and the super low BB.
Just found a good deal on MARIN ALPINE TRAIL E2 so I am kind of on the fence right now.

The specs on the E2 for what you pay is very hard to beat, though tbf the Canyon is a great price too. I like the Canyon, but having rode the E2 now for about 1,000 miles, I made the right choice, such a beast of a bike.
Plus, I have the added security of buying from a local bike shop if there were any issues, I've bought online only before and never again.

Last edited:

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
The seat angle and lower BB doesn't really bother me. I live next to a mountain and the climb up is on a normal road. It's 95% downhill then. The small amount of climbing I would have to do on local trails doesn't worry me. I suck at climbing either way. I come from a BMX background so climbing is no fun for me. If I have to get off and walk/push for a few minutes, that's more enjoyable for me than doing a sloppy climb and having to get off and walk/push anyway.
The E1 hasn't sold yet anyway. Not much love for them in the used market it seems so will keep riding it for the time being.

Getting some 220mm rotors for it soon and maybe change the Yari to a Zeb fork if I find some at the right price.

Majikow

Aug 25, 2022
San Diego, CA
Has anyone has the bump stops (to protect the frame from the fork) come off? One of mine came off my E2 after transporting in a pickup truck and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of glue to use?

Otherwise I’ve had the bike for a couple of months now and love this thing. Such a blast to ride. No major issues so far knock on wood. Eats up rear tires which I guess is to be expected.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Has anyone has the bump stops (to protect the frame from the fork) come off? One of mine came off my E2 after transporting in a pickup truck and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of glue to use?

Otherwise I’ve had the bike for a couple of months now and love this thing. Such a blast to ride. No major issues so far knock on wood. Eats up rear tires which I guess is to be expected.

Sorry hasn't happened to me (yet) I'd be tempted to use gorilla double sided sticky tape? Not gonna do the paintwork any favours if you take it off but whose gonna see it?
As for the bike yeah, gets through RR tyres but I agree, what a machine 💚

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Sorry hasn't happened to me (yet) I'd be tempted to use gorilla double sided sticky tape? Not gonna do the paintwork any favours if you take it off but whose gonna see it?
As for the bike yeah, gets through RR tyres but I agree, what a machine 💚
I literally replaced mine yesterday. Mine moved/came off a a long time ago and Bikeonline sent me out some mastic tape (industrial double sided tape) to stick them back on until they had replacement bump stops in stock, which they sent out to me.

Before yesterday I had Duct tape wrapped around the downtube to keep them in place. The original adhesive got ripped off the bump stops.
I cleaned all the adhesive from the frame and the back of the bump stop, cut and placed the mastic tape on the back of the old bump stop and put it back on the bike and put the retaining screw in place.
The replacement bump stops they sent me have the double sided tape pre cut to the right size/shape on them. I'll keep them for late if these ones happen to split or tear off.

I've been thinking of wrapping an old tube around them to offer a bit more protection as well. Not had time to do it though.

314929532_817983996083940_5474994829587885471_n.jpg 310326331_540453611391197_1827345119181879149_n.jpg

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
First time out in about a month last night. Got some new lights, Cleanskin 1800's, which are better than my old lights, Azur 1000's and made a huge difference.

While pedalling up the mountain last night, I could feel a clicking in my drivetrain. I suspected the clutch was open on the derailleur and closed it. The noise still persisted. I checked the crank arms and the left arm was a tiny bit loose I thought but hard to tell in the dark on the side of the mountain. I didn't have a 10mm allen key for the pre tension bolt but nipped the pinch bolts up. The noise/feeling was still there. This morning I checked the cranks, tightened everything up and it seems the spindle has movement in the motor, so possibly a bearing has failed.
Anybody else had this issue with their E7000?

I must have gotten a lemon bike with all the issues I've had with it.

Last edited:

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
So my troublesome E1 now has a new issue.

The last ride I had I noticed movement/noise in the cranks. On further inspection, the spindle running through the motor has lateral/left and right movement in it. A friend who owns a bike shop and is an authorised Shimano repair agent said he has never seen anything like it.

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
So my troublesome E1 now has a new issue.

The last ride I had I noticed movement/noise in the cranks. On further inspection, the spindle running through the motor has lateral/left and right movement in it. A friend who owns a bike shop and is an authorised Shimano repair agent said he has never seen anything like it.

I thought they all do that. I checked 5 different shimano motors new and old, they had that little bit of play.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
This is new movement and definitely shouldn't be there. I can really feel it in the cranks where I couldn't feel it in the past.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Bike is scheduled for drop off today to my LBS who is an authorised Shimano repair agent. The online store I bought the bike from saw the video and didn't hesitate for it to be warranty repaired.

How long it takes with parts/repair, I don't know yet. Hopefully not too long. The noise/movement has definitely gotten worse since I first noticed it.

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
I got a new motor, ep8., in mine last week. There is no side to side play. My motor was super loud, so warranty fix. Pretty painless, took a couple of days. 2300 k and it was done. Bike was 12 months old.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
I got a new motor, ep8., in mine last week. There is no side to side play. My motor was super loud, so warranty fix. Pretty painless, took a couple of days. 2300 k and it was done. Bike was 12 months old.
Did you have the E1 or E2. the EP8 would be a great upgrade if that happened tbh.

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
I have the Norco Range VLT, I was just commenting on the axle play. As I said before I thought all the shimano motors had it. I was on the deposit paid waiting list for the e2, but realized it was not going to happen, so got my deposit back and bought the Range last October 2021 when I found one.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Picked up my new E2 yesterday. I'm 82kg kitted up - what's the general consensus so far on shock spring rate? The 450 that came with it is probably a bit stiff for me, but I'd be interested to know what other people have found works best for them (and what their 'ready to ride' weight is as well).

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Picked up my new E2 yesterday. I'm 82kg kitted up - what's the general consensus so far on shock spring rate? The 450 that came with it is probably a bit stiff for me, but I'd be interested to know what other people have found works best for them (and what their 'ready to ride' weight is as well).
I'm about the same weight fully loaded, maybe a bit more. My bike came with a 300lb spring and was way too soft. I got a 400 and it was good. I tried a 450lb and I was bounced around. It felt great on bigger hits, drops, gaps and hucks but everything else it wasn't great. So I'm back using the 400lb.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles