Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

Baron Rouge

Jul 5, 2022
Scotland
Turns out you guys were right about the tubes rubbing, so thanks for that. Off they come and into the hip pack.

647C44F7-C4E5-4FC9-93D7-9BB2E73F4AD7.jpeg

Baron Rouge

Jul 5, 2022
Scotland
On the bright side, the bit of seat post I’ve had to extend means my first aid kit can stay. Means I can still grab and go for local rides without bothering with the hip pack

3AB938CA-8E18-46B8-9C41-C339A3B34F34.jpeg

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
I wouldn't :eek: It has one of the steepest sta out there. People who ride it have never mentioned that, that I'm aware of. Perhaps their grins make them harder to understand? :ROFLMAO: Personally I'd prefer a steeper hta. It looks like those trends of ever increasing hta and handlebar length are starting to correct now. This bike is still on my shortlist though, for obvious reasons

Size-specific HA is an idea I've been bouncing around. Need higher handlebar height to go with the steep STA, and so many people are running spacers beyond what's recommended by suspension fork makers. Steeper HTA in bigger sizes will help this, and also tame the extra long WB, as well as address weight up front and perk up the steering. Diminishes the urge for tall people to downsize.

================

These guys seem to have some interesting mods.

s822579343573069732_p5_i16_w4032.jpeg

s822579343573069732_p8_i1_w4032.jpeg

^ Maybe combine this fender with a Mudhugger 29er rear?

They also have a little do-dad that makes it so the crankarm can backpedal without freewheeling, for lubing up chains or whatever.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
many people are running spacers beyond what's recommended by suspension fork makers
yeah, I don't understand that trend of manufacturers keeping bars low. It wouldn't affect geo to have a taller head tube. It would also make for a stiffer front end; a stronger front end too if you don't need to use many, or no spacers. I don't think hta needs to change with sizing, just the head tube length. This trend coincides with ever lower after-market handlebars too.

SamirRifai

Nov 15, 2021
Lima
Anyone had disc rotors and/or brakes upgrades?

I just installed the Magura MT Trail Sport brakes on my E1 and kept the default Shimano disc rotors (both 203mm). Haven’t tried the bike yet.

I was wondering how to match new disc rotors?

Got confused at Shimano’s website looking for components for the E7000; found several options for only rear disc rotor with speed sensor magnet included but cannot find a match for the front disc rotor without the speed sensor.

I wanted to get the Magura’s disc rotors, but not sure if the default speed sensor cable in the E1 will work with Magura’s MDR-P Center Lock disc rotor speed sensor magnet.

Any idea on how to move forward on Magura’s disc rotors or Shimano ones?

Thanks!

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Anyone had disc rotors and/or brakes upgrades?

I just installed the Magura MT Trail Sport brakes on my E1 and kept the default Shimano disc rotors (both 203mm). Haven’t tried the bike yet.

I was wondering how to match new disc rotors?

Got confused at Shimano’s website looking for components for the E7000; found several options for only rear disc rotor with speed sensor magnet included but cannot find a match for the front disc rotor without the speed sensor.

I wanted to get the Magura’s disc rotors, but not sure if the default speed sensor cable in the E1 will work with Magura’s MDR-P Center Lock disc rotor speed sensor magnet.

Any idea on how to move forward on Magura’s disc rotors or Shimano ones?

Thanks!

Afraid I can't help you in your rotor question, but was wondering why you changed the brakes? The E2 came with SLX 4 pots which tbh are amazing stoppers - what does the E1 come with?

Good luck and I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

SamirRifai

Nov 15, 2021
Lima
Afraid I can't help you in your rotor question, but was wondering why you changed the brakes? The E2 came with SLX 4 pots which tbh are amazing stoppers - what does the E1 come with?

Good luck and I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

Thanks @Pezzar, I had the Magura MT Sport on my old Specialized Enduro bike and they are fairly new, so no cost at all. I'm almost certain they are better than E1 stock ones: Shimano MT420. Hope I'm not wrong, waiting for the weekend to test them.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Thanks @Pezzar, I had the Magura MT Sport on my old Specialized Enduro bike and they are fairly new, so no cost at all. I'm almost certain they are better than E1 stock ones: Shimano MT420. Hope I'm not wrong, waiting for the weekend to test them.

Fair play - would I be right in thinking they are Shimanos' budget 2 pot brakes? if so I'm 100% sure the Maguras will be better - when you are talking a 25kg bike plus a rider, 2 pots just aren't going to cut it.

joeincardiff

May 8, 2022
Le Diff
They're the budget four pots. So same pads as saint/zee/xt. I swapped my levers for the new XT ones and left the calipers in place. Seems ok. Would prefer zee calipers but not yet ready to deal with the associated faff.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
They're the budget four pots. So same pads as saint/zee/xt. I swapped my levers for the new XT ones and left the calipers in place. Seems ok. Would prefer zee calipers but not yet ready to deal with the associated faff.

Aah cheers - being 4 pot then they 'should' be powerful enough. Marin have been really careful to use quality components on the E1 and E2 so I would have been surprised if they were 2 pots.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Do you not get tyre buzz on the tube back there?

Also - for those who've changed the rear caliper on the e1 - worth it? Changed the levers and brakes feel good but wondering if there's a win to changing the caliper too...
Just get some taller mounts for existing calipers to run 220mm. Cheap 220mm rotors are easy to find. Thats my next change out. I have some XT levers to replace the stock ones to make them feel a bit better. The levers with the 220mm rotors will give me less sore arms.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Family/work life means I am on limited time to ride. Bought some AZUR 1K 1000 lumen lights and went for a night ride. 2 lights on the handlebars and one on the helmet. The beam isn't super wide but it does the job on a budget for sure. Used some cable ties for the bar lights to make them a more secure.

Even managed to send a few jumps I haven't done during the day yet.

SamirRifai

Nov 15, 2021
Lima
Ok got the Magura’s tested and they work amazing. Even having 2 pots rear + 4 pots front, still feels better than Shimano’s budget 4 pots rear + front.

Next I’ll be upgrading front rotor to 220, I’ll kee rear with 203 (I’ve read somewhere 220 at the rear gives problems).

I also got a Wolf Tooth dropper lever, which feels much nicer.

7D2A3C8C-4EB2-48A7-98B6-F03654865ACE.jpeg

01D49877-6F2A-401D-8C61-BF163EA35182.jpeg

All brake levers, shifter and dropper lever are mounted with a single clamp on each side, cockpit looks much cleaner.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Didn't realise how hard they are to get hold of still tbh.
They've been out of stock for ages. I was on an email alert - they've just come back in. I think this one has a different fork though? I thought they had some version of the zeb fork previously?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Just had an email from Brink Cycles to say the E2s are coming into stock soon.

Not affiliated with them, I emailed a few months ago ref stock of the E2 and they've come back today saying they're being distributed to dealers as of tomorrow (UK).

I realise this thread is basically an owners thread so stock notifications might not be helpful but it might help someone.

If I hadn't bought an Orbea Rise a few weeks back, I'd have bought one. It looks like a beast of a bike. Even if it is overkill for 90% of my riding lol

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Just had an email from Brink Cycles to say the E2s are coming into stock soon.

Not affiliated with them, I emailed a few months ago ref stock of the E2 and they've come back today saying they're being distributed to dealers as of tomorrow (UK).

I realise this thread is basically an owners thread so stock notifications might not be helpful but it might help someone.

If I hadn't bought an Orbea Rise a few weeks back, I'd have bought one. It looks like a beast of a bike. Even if it is overkill for 90% of my riding lol

An Orbea Rise was my other bike of choice. I agonised over it, worried about the weight of the Marin - in the end my mind was made up due to my age. A Rise would have been great for a year or two but probably at 60 a full fat made the better sense, as I don't want to be spending another 6 grand in 12 months in the current financial climate. As it happens I am over the moon with my E2 and I needn't have worried.

Majikow

Aug 25, 2022
San Diego, CA
Anyone have an XL frame that they found a good bottle cage / water bottle to fit? I have an E2 XL, and would like to get a bottle on there but didn't want to start the trial and error process if someone else already found a solution. Like would a Lezyne side loader cage work?

Switch

Aug 14, 2022
Australia
0.jpg

Been following this thread for a while so thought I may as well join the conversation. Here is my 2022 Alpine Trail E1 with a few mods.
Got rid of the fork like most as the Gold 35 are pretty average and picked up the Lyriks used for a good price but may need to increase the rise on my bars as the steerer was cut a bit shorter than I would have liked.
This was the first ride trying a 450lb spring and I feel like I am halfway in between but will give it some more time.
Just changed to a 200mm Fox transfer dropper which fits the large frame slammed. A 200mm dropper really should have come as standard on the large frame.
The gold brakes were the only ones in stock at the time for a reasonable price so don't judge the bling too harshly, kept the stock rotors and despite needing the shop to route the cable around the motor after I lost the end of it, they were pretty much plug and play.

Overall loving the bike and being more confident to join rides that I would have avoided on an acoustic bike due to fitness.

Frame – Marin Alpine Trail E1 – Large
System and Battery – Shimano STEPS E7000 and 504wh battery
Rear shock – RockShox Super Deluxe Coil R, 450lb spring
Front shock/fork – Rockshox Lyrik Select 170mm
Handlebars – Chromag Fubars OSX 35, 25mm rise
Stem – Chromag HiFi V2 35mm
Grips – Oury lockon
Saddle – Chromag Trailmaster DT
Seatpost – Fox Transfer 200mm
Dropper Remote – Wolftooth light action
Brake – Formula Cura 4
Cranks – Marin 165mm
Chainguide -Marin 38T (thinking of changing to a 36T)
Pedals – Spank Spike
Rear derailleur - Deore
Rear shifter -Deore
Cassette – Deore 10-speed 11-46T
Wheels – Marin stock
Tyres – Front, Maxxis Assegai 29x2.5, Rear Maxxis Minion DHR II 27.5x2.8

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Anyone have an XL frame that they found a good bottle cage / water bottle to fit? I have an E2 XL, and would like to get a bottle on there but didn't want to start the trial and error process if someone else already found a solution. Like would a Lezyne side loader cage work?
I've given up on the bottle holder, even after reworking one to fit, it looks rubbish and crammed in. Been riding with a Uswe hydration pack or an Osprey hip bag.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
View attachment 97121
Been following this thread for a while so thought I may as well join the conversation. Here is my 2022 Alpine Trail E1 with a few mods.
Got rid of the fork like most as the Gold 35 are pretty average and picked up the Lyriks used for a good price but may need to increase the rise on my bars as the steerer was cut a bit shorter than I would have liked.
This was the first ride trying a 450lb spring and I feel like I am halfway in between but will give it some more time.
Just changed to a 200mm Fox transfer dropper which fits the large frame slammed. A 200mm dropper really should have come as standard on the large frame.
The gold brakes were the only ones in stock at the time for a reasonable price so don't judge the bling too harshly, kept the stock rotors and despite needing the shop to route the cable around the motor after I lost the end of it, they were pretty much plug and play.

Overall loving the bike and being more confident to join rides that I would have avoided on an acoustic bike due to fitness.

Frame – Marin Alpine Trail E1 – Large
System and Battery – Shimano STEPS E7000 and 504wh battery
Rear shock – RockShox Super Deluxe Coil R, 450lb spring
Front shock/fork – Rockshox Lyrik Select 170mm
Handlebars – Chromag Fubars OSX 35, 25mm rise
Stem – Chromag HiFi V2 35mm
Grips – Oury lockon
Saddle – Chromag Trailmaster DT
Seatpost – Fox Transfer 200mm
Dropper Remote – Wolftooth light action
Brake – Formula Cura 4
Cranks – Marin 165mm
Chainguide -Marin 38T (thinking of changing to a 36T)
Pedals – Spank Spike
Rear derailleur - Deore
Rear shifter -Deore
Cassette – Deore 10-speed 11-46T
Wheels – Marin stock
Tyres – Front, Maxxis Assegai 29x2.5, Rear Maxxis Minion DHR II 27.5x2.8

Very, very nice. Got the E2 but if I'd have had the choice I'd have had it in the red. Great looking bikes, really look like they mean business (and they do). Probably the most capable and bullet proof bike I've owned.
800 miles in and bloody love mine.

Baron Rouge

Jul 5, 2022
Scotland
I've given up on the bottle holder, even after reworking one to fit, it looks rubbish and crammed in. Been riding with a Uswe hydration pack or an Osprey hip bag.

I’ve got a 590ml Fidlock on my size L with a bit of judicious shimming with a brake spacer, works really well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles