Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Hi everyone, I got the E1 a few months ago in Peru. Just put around 600km on it and already feeling the coil and suspension bottoming out in my local trail jumps.

Any recommendations without breaking the bank?

On the other hand, my rear derailleur is jumping gears like crazy and the main bolt keeps getting loose. Can I fit an XT derailleur and cassette? Any other options for upgrade? View attachment 80584
Is it stil lthe stock 300lb spring? It's way too soft. I have tried a 400lb, 450lb and 500lb spring on mine. Settled with the 400lb for a while but still getting some bottom outs so just put a 450lb back on to see how that feels again.

Lose the 2.8 rear tyre too. It floats over everything with poor grip once it wears down a bit. I went for a Schwalbe Big Betty Super Gravity 2.4. Still yet to ride it but looks way better shape for traction and feel.

Gears skipping is probably a bent derailleur hanger. Mine was super bent and I have a derailluer hanger tool and straightened it out and it was fine again. The "B tensions" screw may need adjusting as well. Any bike shop can fix the gears in 10 minutes so no need to spend money on new derailleur until the current one dies.

I swapped the Forks out to Fox 36's Performance 170mm from my Scott Ransom and it made a HUGE difference to the bike. The Gold 35's are rubbish. My plan is to get some 170mm Zeb forks for the E1 and put the Fox back on the Scott Ransom.

I've got about 530km on mine.

SamirRifai

Nov 15, 2021
Lima
Is it stil lthe stock 300lb spring? It's way too soft. I have tried a 400lb, 450lb and 500lb spring on mine. Settled with the 400lb for a while but still getting some bottom outs so just put a 450lb back on to see how that feels again.

Lose the 2.8 rear tyre too. It floats over everything with poor grip once it wears down a bit. I went for a Schwalbe Big Betty Super Gravity 2.4. Still yet to ride it but looks way better shape for traction and feel.

Gears skipping is probably a bent derailleur hanger. Mine was super bent and I have a derailluer hanger tool and straightened it out and it was fine again. The "B tensions" screw may need adjusting as well. Any bike shop can fix the gears in 10 minutes so no need to spend money on new derailleur until the current one dies.

I swapped the Forks out to Fox 36's Performance 170mm from my Scott Ransom and it made a HUGE difference to the bike. The Gold 35's are rubbish. My plan is to get some 170mm Zeb forks for the E1 and put the Fox back on the Scott Ransom.

I've got about 530km on mine.

Thanks Pete.

I got the L size with 400lb coil, which I bottom a few time jumps; you can check my TT account were I post videos in my local trails: TikTok de Samir Rifai (@samirrifaia) | Mira los últimos videos de Samir Rifai en TikTok

Excellent tip on the rear tire, actually both of them float... I'll change them soon; but was wondering if 2.4 or 2.5 (I'll keep the mullet setup).

About the derailleur you might be on spot, I had a couple of crashes and have not checked if it's bent.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Thanks Pete.

I got the L size with 400lb coil, which I bottom a few time jumps; you can check my TT account were I post videos in my local trails: TikTok de Samir Rifai (@samirrifaia) | Mira los últimos videos de Samir Rifai en TikTok

Excellent tip on the rear tire, actually both of them float... I'll change them soon; but was wondering if 2.4 or 2.5 (I'll keep the mullet setup).

About the derailleur you might be on spot, I had a couple of crashes and have not checked if it's bent.

My springweight calculator says I need about a 375lb spring. Even with the 400lb (I'm about 80-82kg fully kitted up) I still bottomed out on big hits. It was stable for jumping too, not too poppy. I do have my rebound quite slow to keep the rear end predictable in the air so I don't get bucked. I'm back to a 450lb spring now, reduced rebound speed by 1 click to counteract the extra spring weight. You will always bottom out on any coil.
Try a bigger spring on the rear or get a progressive spring so its more progressive towards the end of the travel.

The front tyres are actually Ok. I've had Assegais for a while and they are super grippy.

The Rockshox Gold 35's are the problem with front grip. Once you push hard and fast they can't handle it. They bounce you down rough stuff. I did put the maximum 2 tokens in and dropped pressure which helped a bit. Once I swapped to the Fox 36's the whole bike improved.

I've got Cushcore in the rear, haven't been bothered to put it in the front yet but I run about 21 or 22psi in the front and about 23-24psi in the read.

SamirRifai

Nov 15, 2021
Lima
My springweight calculator says I need about a 375lb spring. Even with the 400lb (I'm about 80-82kg fully kitted up) I still bottomed out on big hits. It was stable for jumping too, not too poppy. I do have my rebound quite slow to keep the rear end predictable in the air so I don't get bucked. I'm back to a 450lb spring now, reduced rebound speed by 1 click to counteract the extra spring weight. You will always bottom out on any coil.
Try a bigger spring on the rear or get a progressive spring so its more progressive towards the end of the travel.

The front tyres are actually Ok. I've had Assegais for a while and they are super grippy.

The Rockshox Gold 35's are the problem with front grip. Once you push hard and fast they can't handle it. They bounce you down rough stuff. I did put the maximum 2 tokens in and dropped pressure which helped a bit. Once I swapped to the Fox 36's the whole bike improved.

I've got Cushcore in the rear, haven't been bothered to put it in the front yet but I run m.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Good to know about all coils bottoming out, maybe I'll go to 450 also and give it a try.

About the suspension, I'll start with the 2 tokens and work my way up to change it in the mid future. You are right in stating that when pushing hard on the Rockshox Gold 35 it starts rattling everywhere.

I'm 1.77cm and about 85kg fully fitted.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Thanks for all the feedback.

Good to know about all coils bottoming out, maybe I'll go to 450 also and give it a try.

About the suspension, I'll start with the 2 tokens and work my way up to change it in the mid future. You are right in stating that when pushing hard on the Rockshox Gold 35 it starts rattling everywhere.

I'm 1.77cm and about 85kg fully fitted.

Im 175cm so not much difference with us. A friend upgraded his Focus Sam2 to an older cane creek double barrel from an air shock and said its amazing. Its a high end shock with LSC and HSC and doesnt bottom out as easy. We've got a basic shock in comparison. I think i even bottomed out when i tried the 500lb spring but it was too harsh and lacked grip.

I cant say enough how much difference to the ride the better forks made to the bike. Even some used Yari would transform it.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
First ride back today after a month off to recover from niggling injuries, lots of rain, work and overcoming a bad chest infection (3 PCR's and a RAT all negative for covid).

Easing back into it. New Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 Super Gravity rear tyre feels incredible. So much grip and stability. It doesn't roll around or float like the 2.8. Cheapest upgrade you can make to your bike. A Schwalbe MAgic Mary will be replacing the Assegai on the front when I get the chance.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Rode a place called Kentlyn again. Heavy rain this weekend but it copes fine with the wet weather. Did some long boring XC loop that has 1 or 2 decent things to hit on the way through and hit the big jump line so ticked off a few boxes.

Deep.5

Dec 22, 2021
Marin County
Has anyone switched out the dropper on an e1/2?
I think i read something online about it being tricky.
My first e1 got stolen so I should be getting another soon. The one thing I didn’t like about the bike was the too short dropper that didn’t work well. I ordered a bigger dropper already.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Ive removed mine when it wasnt working great. Its straight forward. You may have to pull the csble housing through the battery compartment for enough slack to extract the post from the frame and then you simply unhook the cable end from the dropper activation hook.
Has anyone switched out the dropper on an e1/2?
I think i read something online about it being tricky.
My first e1 got stolen so I should be getting another soon. The one thing I didn’t like about the bike was the too short dropper that didn’t work well. I ordered a bigger dropper already.
Removed

Deep.5

Dec 22, 2021
Marin County
Ive removed mine when it wasnt working great. Its straight forward. You may have to pull the csble housing through the battery compartment for enough slack to extract the post from the frame and then you simply unhook the cable end from the dropper activation hook.

Removed
I swapped a Pnw 200mm dropper for the stock one. It was a bit tricky because of the motor but became more difficult when I accidentally pulled the housing out of the seat post arg!
It took another set of hands to get it back on.
Got the bike all set up right and broke my collarbone ! Should have allowed myself more time to get used the ebike ….

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Hows everyone getting on with their bikes?
After cancelling my order back in september having bought a megawatt in stock, I’ve just ordered an E2 for my next bike (I tend to change ebikes every year to 18 months due to depreciation rates and warranty). So this time I don’t care if it comes in 6 months or 12 months as I have my megawatt to keep me going. The megawatt is great, but I would still prefer the e2 for geometry so hopefully its next up....

walterfury

Sep 16, 2021
Llanberis
Hows everyone getting on with their bikes?
After cancelling my order back in september having bought a megawatt in stock, I’ve just ordered an E2 for my next bike (I tend to change ebikes every year to 18 months due to depreciation rates and warranty). So this time I don’t care if it comes in 6 months or 12 months as I have my megawatt to keep me going. The megawatt is great, but I would still prefer the e2 for geometry so hopefully its next up....
I have a large E2 for sale. It's only done 200 miles and I bought it from a well known bike shop so the purchase receipt is included in the sale. I fitted a 180mm dropper and Super Gravity tyres. I would take £5000.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
I have a large E2 for sale. It's only done 200 miles and I bought it from a well known bike shop so the purchase receipt is included in the sale. I fitted a 180mm dropper and Super Gravity tyres. I would take £5000.
Where are you in UK?
You can get them for £5150 with a full warranty so I’d be interested if the price was a bit more realistic....

walterfury

Sep 16, 2021
Llanberis
Where are you in UK?
You can get them for £5150 with a full warranty so I’d be interested if the price was a bit more realistic....
Can you get in touch via Pinkbike so we can discuss privately? I have the same user name or you can find the bike in the ebike classified ads on Pinkbike.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm interested in getting an e2. Here in Aust. they only have online sales through one company, so I can't test ride. Can any owners give some feedback on their size (height) and what size bike they have, and if it suits them. I ask this because the reach is pretty long on these. According to the size guide I should go a large, but that has a way longer reach than what I have ridden before. I'm 5'11" (180cm).

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Finally made my mind up and ordered a medium Alpine E2. Coming with a 400lb spring and set up tubeless and on the new Vee tyres as there is a shortage of the Maxxis. Ordered from the nice people at Dean Forest Cycles. My first ebike and I can't wait.

Last edited:

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Finally made my mind up and ordered a medium Alpine E2. Coming with a 400lb spring and set up tubeless and on the new Vee tyres as there is a shortage of the Maxxis. Ordered from the nice people at Dean Forest Cycles. My first ebike and I can't wait.
This is where my order is too. Have they given you an eta? I was told end of April. So based on my experience last year it should be with me in September/October ;-)

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
This is where my order is too. Have they given you an eta? I was told end of April. So based on my experience last year it should be with me in September/October ;-)
Coincidence! they've sent me a picture of the bike being built up (there is a chip on the head tube which they've had to touch up :( ) hence they've agreed to set it up tubeless, free delivery and a free fitted 400lb spring. They are saying next week depending on courier

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
And here it is. Vee tyres rather than specced though.

IMG20220501115405.jpg

IMG20220501115112.jpg

IMG20220501115140.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I think it's an awesome choice - it really is a unique bike re the geo. Can you let us know how the sizing (reach) feels? Also your height?

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Went to pick up my E2 large yesterday, and it felt small for its size. My transition scout is also 485mm reach and this feels much bigger. I sat on an XL E1 demo bike (didn’t know they had demos!) and felt much better. So the wait continues for an XL sometime in the summer/autumn.

so in short, they come up a little smaller than the geo suggests in my opinion

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Went to pick up my E2 large yesterday, and it felt small for its size. My transition scout is also 485mm reach and this feels much bigger. I sat on an XL E1 demo bike (didn’t know they had demos!) and felt much better. So the wait continues for an XL sometime in the summer/autumn.

so in short, they come up a little smaller than the geo suggests in my opinion

One of the reviews I saw the tester had a large and two other female testers of 5'7" and 5'8" could also ride it ok.
Me personally I'm a titch at 5'9" and my medium feels spot on. I don't like feeling too stretched out on a bike but still like my weight slightly forward, this is perfect for me. Bars with grips measure 800mm. Hopefully get it out on the trails today, had a bloody chest infection which is maddening timing.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
How are you finding Alex at Dean Forest Rich? He has been great to deal with for me. Must have been frustrating to find the large not right for you. How long you got to wait for an XL?

yea really good. I felt bad that I reserved a large and then didn’t buy it, but they will sell it very quickly I’m sure. They were cool with me swapping to XL and have put my name down on one in the next batch.
They have a very good reputation locally, so I think they will def look after you if anything goes wrong.

hope you get out in yours soon! Amazing looking bikes!

they also said they have had zero warranty issues with the frame. Just one EP8 issue.

so if anyone is after a Large E2, Dean Forest Cycles have one in stock!!!

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
That won't be around long - they are like hens teeth to get hold of. I almost bought off Winstanley bikes as they do 0% interest and were supposed to have stock in by the 29th - still no stock, so Alex does well to get any in at all. it was also important to me that I got the bike ASAP as I had to sell my others to fund it - hence no bike.

Edit - I'm also not surprised about zero frame issues. The frame is truly a thing of beauty - never seen such neat welds and paint and the thing is put together really, really well. It looks and feels (I know, only up and down the road and off a few kerbs :) ) utterly bombproof.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
So I'm slowly getting used to the bike, started to feel a little flow for the first time yesterday - one thing I will say though, the bottle cage holder is deffo an afterthought. I've had to dremmel out the slots on the cage so I can move it further up the frame as the shock was hitting the bottom edge of the bottle and caused it to leak! new bike - new bottle. Even then, now the bottle is wedged up as high as I can get it the clearance is minimal - looks like it's back to the Camelbak. 😁

Edit: should have said the bottle was a 620ml camelback podium dirt.

Last edited:

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
A little more...so I fecked up, been getting a few pedals strikes where I shouldn't, looks like I specced the wrong coil rating ( newb to ebikes AND coil shocks). Sooo while I'm waiting for the 450 I've been mostly keeping off the real chundery stuff and sticking to singletrack/XC stuff.

Observations...the bike does NOT ride anywhere near as heavy as it's standing weight, in fact it is surprisingly nimble.
Brakes...bloody marvelous power and feel. I'm a Hope fan boy but these new SLX 4 pots are staying, can't justify changing them at all.

Tyres... I was initially gutted that they couldn't ship it with the advertised Assegai and HRII and it came with Vee tyre companies new gravity tyres. Well I needn't have worried, the bike is so stable on the downs and I haven't felt the front wanting to let go once so far, on a mix of dry gravely berms and wet rooty corners, excellent.

Battery/range...don't know if it's the sticky, heavy and draggy Vees? but boost mode eats that first bar fast! Luckily for me I'm trying to keep it real by being in eco as much as I can.

Fox 38's... admittedly only 6 rides in, but still not got them how I want them, getting a lot of handlebar buzz in the hands so need to look at pressure and settings again. They feel like they will take you through/over anything though.
That's about it, if anyone is thinking of going Marin, hope that helps a bit.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
A little more...so I fecked up, been getting a few pedals strikes where I shouldn't, looks like I specced the wrong coil rating ( newb to ebikes AND coil shocks). Sooo while I'm waiting for the 450 I've been mostly keeping off the real chundery stuff and sticking to singletrack/XC stuff.

Observations...the bike does NOT ride anywhere near as heavy as it's standing weight, in fact it is surprisingly nimble.
Brakes...bloody marvelous power and feel. I'm a Hope fan boy but these new SLX 4 pots are staying, can't justify changing them at all.

Tyres... I was initially gutted that they couldn't ship it with the advertised Assegai and HRII and it came with Vee tyre companies new gravity tyres. Well I needn't have worried, the bike is so stable on the downs and I haven't felt the front wanting to let go once so far, on a mix of dry gravely berms and wet rooty corners, excellent.

Battery/range...don't know if it's the sticky, heavy and draggy Vees? but boost mode eats that first bar fast! Luckily for me I'm trying to keep it real by being in eco as much as I can.

Fox 38's... admittedly only 6 rides in, but still not got them how I want them, getting a lot of handlebar buzz in the hands so need to look at pressure and settings again. They feel like they will take you through/over anything though.
That's about it, if anyone is thinking of going Marin, hope that helps a bit.

I’ve really struggled with my fox 38s on my megawatt. I was advised to run little sag, around 15%, I’m used to running 20-25% and this weirdly helped. Removed all spacer tokens too. No HSC and about 6 clicks of LSC. Then rebound just trial and error. I’ve got them as good as I can, but still don’t like them as much as the zebs on my normal bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles