Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

Oct 9, 2020
LA
I'm losing my patience waiting for this bike. Been waiting for over 8 months If only there was something comparable (price, geo, components, mullet, alu) available in the USA. Nukeproof Megawatt isnt available here.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
I just rolled back my firmware today to 4.5 from 4.7.2 on the motor unit and rolled back my E-tube app to an earlier version. I then used E-tune 3rd party app to change my region to USA and instantly increase my assist speed to 32kmh. It has a whole host of other options to change power, wheel diameter to increase top speed etc.....but I just wanted to do the minimum and increase my max assist speed with the regional change.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:

Rayburn13

Sep 19, 2021
VANCOUVER, B
p4pb21326609.jpg

Received it last week and have put 130km on it, added cushcore front and rear, and swapped the dropper post. The bike is an absolute blast, climbs everything I've tried on the north shore on all 3 local mountains without any issue, stuff I could only hike a bike was now easily rideable. Descends amazing, the suspension feels so smooth and the corner grip is insane. Having not ridden any other motor brands besides the older shimano and the ep8 this one feels very natural to me, just keep the cadence up and in the correct gear and it has a really smooth feel (with my etube tune).
Thought id change out the 2.8 rear but it actually feels great, locks in on the climbs, and has great braking feel. Overall the bike is amazing and now I have made my old analog bike obsolete cause this thing does everything so much better... more laps per hour...

Rayburn13

Sep 19, 2021
VANCOUVER, B
Ordered in May, it's actually pretty nimble on the jank now that I'm used to how slack it is, the short rear end is is really nice on the tighter trails.. the weight actually makes the armored trails feel smoother than my old bike, super easy to find flow on anything cause it only takes a few pedals to hit trail speed.. more laps per hour, only took my 10 mins to get from the parking lot to expresso on fromme and 18min to get to 7th lol coulda gone faster if I pushed but I just wanted to cruise

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
what bike do you normally ride on the NS? i had some misgivings about just how slack it is on paper but my regular bike is 64 and everything i've read says the mass of these bikes makes them benefit from slacker than average when it gets steep or fast. i'm on the Island and ordered about 3 weeks after the bikes were launched, just before last xmas. i only know of 2 E1's around, didn't think there were any E2's in Canada at all.

Rayburn13

Sep 19, 2021
VANCOUVER, B
I was riding a giant Regin with 170mm fork and 160 coil.. I actually find the eeb easier to maneuver around it's slack but that snappy rear end makes up for it.. my shop has an xl left and a medium I got the large...

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Well I was promised 23rd September would be very last delay.
That came and went.
I’ve cancelled my order and bought an instock megawatt. Couldn’t be happier. At least I know if I need to warranty the frame It won’t take 10 months to be sorted out.
Enjoy your Marin’s guys, over and out.

Zamzoo

Jun 18, 2020
UK
I've picked my E2 up today from a UK shop. It was delivered to them yesterday FYI. All built up and ready to go for a bash before sunset. Can't wait

That’s good, first UK one in this thread I think?

I had a call 2 weeks ago to say that my mates was coming in imminently(medium), but my Large would be another 4 weeks. I am their first in line for a Large, they just didn’t get any!

suits me, just broke my foot ?

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
Well I was promised 23rd September would be very last delay.
That came and went.
I’ve cancelled my order and bought an instock megawatt. Couldn’t be happier. At least I know if I need to warranty the frame It won’t take 10 months to be sorted out.
Enjoy your Marin’s guys, over and out.

I cancelled my order as well and got my deposit back. I bought a in stock Norco Range VLT. I had the same thoughts as you about any warranty issues. To bad, looks like such a nice bike. The one from Peru in the pics above looks awesome!

kikeracy

Jan 19, 2021
Lima, Perú
did yours come with those Magura brakes? what grips are you running? glad some of you guys are taking delivery, there's very few in the wild. Marin is having a real hard time bringing these to market.
No, Magura MT7 in replace of SLX 4piston and Raceface Getta grips, also change the seat SQlab Ergowave active and the chainring 38 out 34 in

danrodcr

Jan 9, 2020
Virginia USA
Alpine E1 for kids? Hi All, I am considering to buy a Marin Alpine Trail E1 for my 12 yr old son.. He is 150cm (4'11") tall and weights 101lbs (45kgs). Any experience with small riders riding this bike? Thanks.

Alteredshape

Feb 14, 2021
Rochdale
I had the same issue with them.. They literally lied to me via twitter confirming another lie the U.K rep had told my LBS about the delivery date..it didn't inspire me going fwd for customer service with Marin.

I did stick it out and my E2 arrived last week in September and it's been mega so far..worth the wait for sure just hoping I only have to deal with my LBS if anything goes wrong with it.

Alteredshape

Feb 14, 2021
Rochdale
My medium E2 arrived 24 Sept (UK) after a 12 month order and various delays including Marin confirming a lie on twitter.. Luckily I had another analogue bike I've been riding (Norco Fluid FS 219er) So far I can honestly say it's been worth the wait.. The up hills are now a challenge in the north of England rather than just a pure slog.. The downhills are ridiculously fun and with me being in the weight cat for the stock coil, it pops off the smallest of things and is plush off all the big and small bumps. Love the low slung seat post frame design as it matches my height and riding style. You can hear the EP8 clack on the motor but you can also tune it out as most of the time I'm personally turning my legs over on flats and up hills and on the downs I'm more concerned about staying up right lol. I have tubeless set up to reduce some weight but I don't feel the bike is overly heavy on the trails, as the Geo and mullet set up is looking so far to be the perfect fit for me.

Did a range test ride and used mainly eco and managed 40 miles with 4000ft of climbing, I did use trail and boost a little but still had 2 bars left when I got home.. I think using the gearing(12 speed) and giving yourself a little more work to do can work wonders for the range and also conditions(as you all will know in the UK) will affect range! During this range test ride I did put the display in cadence rather than mph as I wanted to keep within the motors peak performance range.. I think this is a great thing to do so you can see how the motor is working best for you within the gear ranges.

So far though I cant fault the bike and the only thing I will be changing out will be the Assagai front for winter UK mud conditions.. Will keep my eye on this forum for any good reviews or issues being brought up..

Enjoy your Ebikes peoples... Safe riding🙏🤙

Jim-D

Dec 3, 2020
South Wales
Question for anyone else with a Medium E2... I bought a side access Zee bottle cage, thinking that it would allow a medium sized bottle as it does on my enduro bike, but even my smallest (620ml) bottle won't fit into the cage without hitting the toptube. It only just clears the coil at the back too, so no room to slide it back on a mount. Anyone had any bottle success? This is my only gripe about the bike, everything else is ace :)

Alteredshape

Feb 14, 2021
Rochdale
Question for anyone else with a Medium E2... I bought a side access Zee bottle cage, thinking that it would allow a medium sized bottle as it does on my enduro bike, but even my smallest (620ml) bottle won't fit into the cage without hitting the toptube. It only just clears the coil at the back too, so no room to slide it back on a mount. Anyone had any bottle success? This is my only gripe about the bike, everything else is ace :)
I've just had another look at mine and you wont be fitting a small volume drinks bottle without shock clearance.. That would be a neg point for me but not a deal breaker. They should've mounted the fittings on the top tube as that would give you the shock clearance with a small bottle for those short rides.. I'm looking at getting a hip bag with bottle holder for those powah hours though ;)

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
I’ve clocked up over 1000 km on the mighty Marin today. This bike is rock solid and so reliable, I’ve not had one issue, sure I’ve upgraded it and made some changes but that’s no different to what anyone else does to their bike.
If you are waiting on an E1 or E2, or are sceptical about warranty being online only. I don’t think you have much to worry about these bikes are awesome! And worth the wait. I’m a very happy Marin owner.

EA7D69D3-3F13-45F2-9BE8-EA4C219820C3.jpeg

76A677E9-8018-4181-ACE6-026971B2B96C.jpeg

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I’ve clocked up over 1000 km on the mighty Marin today. This bike is rock solid and so reliable, I’ve not had one issue, sure I’ve upgraded it and made some changes but that’s no different to what anyone else does to their bike.
If you are waiting on an E1 or E2, or are sceptical about warranty being online only. I don’t think you have much to worry about these bikes are awesome! And worth the wait. I’m a very happy Marin owner.

View attachment 73338

View attachment 73339
are you still down on the ep8 motor? there was one of these briefly available that i missed and was kicking myself but the way you were talking about the motor earlier in the thread i was almost happy i missed it.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
are you still down on the ep8 motor? there was one of these briefly available that i missed and was kicking myself but the way you were talking about the motor earlier in the thread i was almost happy i missed it.
Still not a fan of the EP8. Everything else about the bike is fantastic.
I wouldn’t be upset about missing out on an EP8 powered bike 😜

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
what is it about the EP8 that you don't like? i have no comparisons other than what i read about eebs, and by almost all accounts, it's a fantastic motor with a couple of minor issues. kinda like the other motors. unless everyone has been duped.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
what is it about the EP8 that you don't like? i have no comparisons other than what i read about eebs, and by almost all accounts, it's a fantastic motor with a couple of minor issues. kinda like the other motors. unless everyone has been duped.
I think it's not that the EP8 is a "bad" motor ..

It's more if you've ridden something like a Brose or a Gen4 Bosch, you feel like you get more assistance when you need it AND more range.

If you only ride the Shimano, you wouldn't know any different and you'll be happy.

Equally, depending where and how you ride, you might not even notice any difference in the general scheme of things. So it will not be something which relates the same to everyone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles