Marin Alpine Trail E1/2 thread

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
Sorry, yes i did.
I'm 99% certain a 29 inch rear wouldn't fit.
Thanks for the reply. I thought with that huge 2.8 rear tire some one might try a narrower 29er in there.
I always see these bikes that say they are 29 or 27.5plus compatible .Its a bit confusing. I have not tried a mullet setup before, looking forward to it.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
E2s headed for UK have beed delayed again, no surprise. Apparently the container ship has been diverted elsewhere and they will transport them by road from there, so we’re looking at end of sept now....

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Went for my first ride on the E1 the other day at my local trails. Took some getting used to different power modes but did about 900m climbing, covered 25km and got home with 3 bars of battery remaining with a mix of eco, trail and boost.

Bike is really nimble on the trail considering the weight of it. Turns well, handles the chunky stuff no bother and jumps pretty well.

The 300lb stock spring is way too light for me (80kg).

jsfuller

Aug 30, 2021
Hobart
Hey guys. I'm about to pull the trigger on an E1, I'm normally on a medium but theres only stock for size small and large here in Australia. I would normally wait for new stock or look for another bike but considering the crazy low stock on all bikes I don't want to miss out. I'm trying to decide if I can make a large work or go with the small. I'm a bit over 5' 8/174cm, my current bike is a meta am 29 medium which has a reach of 445mm and fits pretty good. The small E1 has the same reach. I feel like I could go with a slighly longer reach but I'm thinking the large with 485mm might be to big for me. I am going to get a reach offset headset but that only gives me 5mm reach adjustment either way. Right now I think the small with the headset would give me 450mm reach although marin suggest a small only upto 168cm but thinking i can probably ignore that. Curious if anyone here has a small or has an opinion on how the large fits? Thanks!

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Hey guys. I'm about to pull the trigger on an E1, I'm normally on a medium but theres only stock for size small and large here in Australia. I would normally wait for new stock or look for another bike but considering the crazy low stock on all bikes I don't want to miss out. I'm trying to decide if I can make a large work or go with the small. I'm a bit over 5' 8/174cm, my current bike is a meta am 29 medium which has a reach of 445mm and fits pretty good. The small E1 has the same reach. I feel like I could go with a slighly longer reach but I'm thinking the large with 485mm might be to big for me. I am going to get a reach offset headset but that only gives me 5mm reach adjustment either way. Right now I think the small with the headset would give me 450mm reach although marin suggest a small only upto 168cm but thinking i can probably ignore that. Curious if anyone here has a small or has an opinion on how the large fits? Thanks!

Dude, I literally bought the last E1 they had in stock in Australia in a medium (see video above for its first ride). I've got a Scott Ransom 920 medium 29er as my regular bike (440mm reach). They feel different but I had no problems sending the E1. It turns really well, pops pretty well (only noticed the weight on a small jump once when I popped too late).

I'm 175 and ride mediums. Had a Reign 2 before the Scott and a Merida 140 medium before that.

I'm firmly a medium in the E1. I have shorter than normal arms according to their size guide. Where are you located? I'm Wollongong so if you are in my LGA, you can try it for size.

The spring weight on the medium is way too light at 300lb. I plan on getting a 400lb progressive spring. Front rotor arrived bent and front wheel out of true. Bike gets a lot of chain slap noise when riding. More annoying than anything.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
The new wheels turned up yesterday so while "working" from home i fitted the XT cassette, disc rotors, tubeless valve, Maxxis Minions DHR2's on both ends and went out for a 43km test ride. The difference in weight is quite noticeable, it feels more nimble in the tight stuff which is what i wanted.
I've got 611km on this thing now and its lots of fun to ride. The Fox Float X2 has livened the bike up, it's really playful and likes to pop off small trail features now, instead of just plowing over them.
XTR brakes will be turning up in the next few days and the next upgrade ill make is kashima fork stanchions.
I have to say the biggest let down about the bike is the EP8 motor. To be able to do a 45km ride i have to tune it down to the same power and torque output as an E8000 motor. If i ride it in more powerful settings it chews the battery real quick.
On my Bosch bikes i can do the same 45km ride all in emtb mode and still have 20% battery left. So i won't be rushing out to buy another EP8 powered bike. If there was a Bosch motor and battery in this thing it would be an absolute weapon!

LrnYRXrqSrqoPmsbn+8B+w.jpg

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
The new wheels turned up yesterday so while "working" from home i fitted the XT cassette, disc rotors, tubeless valve, Maxxis Minions DHR2's on both ends and went out for a 43km test ride. The difference in weight is quite noticeable, it feels more nimble in the tight stuff which is what i wanted.
I've got 611km on this thing now and its lots of fun to ride. The Fox Float X2 has livened the bike up, it's really playful and likes to pop off small trail features now, instead of just plowing over them.
XTR brakes will be turning up in the next few days and the next upgrade ill make is kashima fork stanchions.
I have to say the biggest let down about the bike is the EP8 motor. To be able to do a 45km ride i have to tune it down to the same power and torque output as an E8000 motor. If i ride it in more powerful settings it chews the battery real quick.
On my Bosch bikes i can do the same 45km ride all in emtb mode and still have 20% battery left. So i won't be rushing out to buy another EP8 powered bike. If there was a Bosch motor and battery in this thing it would be an absolute weapon!

View attachment 70216

Thats really good news that an air can livens up the suspension - I had hoped that would be the soluntion to some of the negaitve review comments. Possibly a progressive spring for the coil would do the same. I think this is inherent of the suspension design as I found it difficult to hop a standard alpine trail bike I demoed.

rear dhr2 - did you stick to 2.8 or move down to 2.6? I’m hoping moving down to 2.6 won’t affect the seat angle too much as 2.8 is awful for UK terrain for a rear tire.

shame about the ep8. I’m coming from a focus jam2 with bosh gen4 and a 630 battery.

good to hear you’re generally enjoying it!

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Thats really good news that an air can livens up the suspension - I had hoped that would be the soluntion to some of the negaitve review comments. Possibly a progressive spring for the coil would do the same. I think this is inherent of the suspension design as I found it difficult to hop a standard alpine trail bike I demoed.

rear dhr2 - did you stick to 2.8 or move down to 2.6? I’m hoping moving down to 2.6 won’t affect the seat angle too much as 2.8 is awful for UK terrain for a rear tire.

shame about the ep8. I’m coming from a focus jam2 with bosh gen4 and a 630 battery.

good to hear you’re generally enjoying it!

I'm not sure if a progressive spring would liven it up that much, having high speed rebound and compression adjustment has really helped it i think. As well as dropping a bit of weight. I went down to a 2.6 rear a 2.8 is just too much tyre.
Hope there's no more delays and you get out on your bike soon and tear up the trails.

jsfuller

Aug 30, 2021
Hobart
Dude, I literally bought the last E1 they had in stock in Australia in a medium (see video above for its first ride). I've got a Scott Ransom 920 medium 29er as my regular bike (440mm reach). They feel different but I had no problems sending the E1. It turns really well, pops pretty well (only noticed the weight on a small jump once when I popped too late).

I'm 175 and ride mediums. Had a Reign 2 before the Scott and a Merida 140 medium before that.

I'm firmly a medium in the E1. I have shorter than normal arms according to their size guide. Where are you located? I'm Wollongong so if you are in my LGA, you can try it for size.

The spring weight on the medium is way too light at 300lb. I plan on getting a 400lb progressive spring. Front rotor arrived bent and front wheel out of true. Bike gets a lot of chain slap noise when riding. More annoying than anything.
Thanks mate, I ordered an E1 in small at the start of the week, should be here next week. Appreciate the offer but I'm in Tassie. I did however borrow a mates Kona process X medium with mullet setup for the day that is nearly identical in geo numbers. The 99 spokes website is super handy for that. It did feel larger than I'm used to which made the decision not to go with the large easy, I could make the medium work for sure but looking at the numbers on the small I'm pretty confident It will be fine. The bottom bracket to grips distance or RAD should be pretty close to what I have now.

That's interesting about the chain slap noise. One of the big things that I liked about the rob rides review was that he said it was super quiet, does it need more rubber?

I've ordered a 400lb spring, and a set of code rsc brakes. Trying to find a set of zebs, or fox 38 but geeez I didn't realize how hard it was to get parts at the moment, was lucky to snap up the brakes I think. The only zebs I can find in 29" are the low end rebound only ones in 180mm and I managed to find a 160 air shaft also, might have to go with that for now.

How do you find the 35? I'm sure its fine but can't see myself sticking with it long term so thinking I'm better to bite the bullet now and try get a new fork while there's at least some stock kicking around and I can offload it as new.

As this is my first emtb I told myself I would see how it goes and decide if I keep my non e bike meta as well or should I just get rid of it. After seeing what some people are selling there bikes for second hand I think I'll just put it up for sale.

jsfuller

Aug 30, 2021
Hobart

View attachment 70216
Looks awesome mate. How does the E2 compare to the Rail? The rail was the other option I was looking at. Trying to find one in stock is another problem though.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia
Looks awesome mate. How does the E2 compare to the Rail? The rail was the other option I was looking at. Trying to find one in stock is another problem though.
Thanks mate, The Rail for outright speed, torque/power, battery life and range leaves the E2 for dead. The E2 i feel corners slightly better, which i'm putting down to the mullet setup. The E2 is better going downhill and i like the Fox 38's better than the Zeb's on the Rail.
The E2 is quieter and a really nice bike to ride but it just doesn't have the thrill factor that the Rail does due to the EP8's lack of power. Plus i have to ride the E2 in Eco to get the same range that the Rail gets in emtb mode. For how i like to ride the Rail is my favourite out of the two.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Thanks mate, I ordered an E1 in small at the start of the week, should be here next week. Appreciate the offer but I'm in Tassie. I did however borrow a mates Kona process X medium with mullet setup for the day that is nearly identical in geo numbers. The 99 spokes website is super handy for that. It did feel larger than I'm used to which made the decision not to go with the large easy, I could make the medium work for sure but looking at the numbers on the small I'm pretty confident It will be fine. The bottom bracket to grips distance or RAD should be pretty close to what I have now.

That's interesting about the chain slap noise. One of the big things that I liked about the rob rides review was that he said it was super quiet, does it need more rubber?

I've ordered a 400lb spring, and a set of code rsc brakes. Trying to find a set of zebs, or fox 38 but geeez I didn't realize how hard it was to get parts at the moment, was lucky to snap up the brakes I think. The only zebs I can find in 29" are the low end rebound only ones in 180mm and I managed to find a 160 air shaft also, might have to go with that for now.

How do you find the 35? I'm sure its fine but can't see myself sticking with it long term so thinking I'm better to bite the bullet now and try get a new fork while there's at least some stock kicking around and I can offload it as new.

As this is my first emtb I told myself I would see how it goes and decide if I keep my non e bike meta as well or should I just get rid of it. After seeing what some people are selling there bikes for second hand I think I'll just put it up for sale.

It's my first emtb too. Only riding mtb a year but BMXer for over 20 years before. The 35's are fine. I've got fox 36's on my Scott Ransom and I don't really notice a huge difference. Trails around my way and steep, tech, rocky, chunky.

I put a borrowed 450 spring in and its too stiff. I still bottomed it out without trying too hard so I'm thinking an air shock being more progressive could work better? I'm going to put on a 400lb progressive spring for more ramp up at the end of stroke to help with bottom outs.

The noise from the slapping is the chain moving around more than anything, in mid to heavy gears when there is more slack I think. I initially thoughtI had the clutch open on the derailleur but it was closed. It doesn't bother me too much.

The reach is longer than my Scott but the E1 is surprisingly easy to bunnyhop over things despite its weight. The bike is actually trickable on jumps/flyouts. I even managed to fold a bit of a table top and get my knee over the top tube because its so low, something I've struggled with on other mtb and end up looking bow legged and ugly as sin.

Pete mtb table.png

Whippet

Sep 6, 2021
Sydney, Australia

G'day pete-E1, just wondering on your impressions of the overall build/in-house components quality (aside from the bent rotor and front wheel - probably a freight issue?). I've had my eyes on the E2, but am doubting myself with the whole 'on-line' purchase. Recent price rise too puts it into a similar affordability bracket to more 'reputable' brands that I can buy from LBS. Don't see too many of these in the flesh, so when I saw your video I had to ask....

You probably haven't had too many maintenance issues yet, but I guess you'll just go to your LBS in future? Do bicyclesonline offer any maintenance support or is it just the sale?

Thanks in advance.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
G'day pete-E1, just wondering on your impressions of the overall build/in-house components quality (aside from the bent rotor and front wheel - probably a freight issue?). I've had my eyes on the E2, but am doubting myself with the whole 'on-line' purchase. Recent price rise too puts it into a similar affordability bracket to more 'reputable' brands that I can buy from LBS. Don't see too many of these in the flesh, so when I saw your video I had to ask....

You probably haven't had too many maintenance issues yet, but I guess you'll just go to your LBS in future? Do bicyclesonline offer any maintenance support or is it just the sale?

Thanks in advance.

I used to work at a bike shop in London 11 or 12 years ago that sold Marin and spoke to the UK reps while I was there. They were one of the first, if not the first company to start using hydroforming and triple butted tubing on their bikes for larger weld/join areas to keep the frames strong and light, so I was pretty aware of the brand before I purchased.

One gripe is the dropper needs to be unweighted before you can engage it to lower it. Took a small time to get used to it but can cause you to pull the left lever when takign your weight off trying to push the dropper.

In the heavier gearing, there is some chain slap noise/feeling but my local trails are steep, tech, fast, chunky so I expect that.

It can feel like the headset is loose/knocking but it's not. It's the extra weight of the bike on the forks and stiction, so when I lift the front wheel to roll the bike on the back wheel getting it in and out of the garage, its the forks extending when unloaded. I was running them at 83psi (Rockshox recommended 93psi for my weight) and it was more noticeable. I'm running at about 90psi now and its less noticeable. It's just the weight of the bike on the forks.

Stem and bars do their job ok. No creeking or movement from them. plenty of steerer tube to cut if you want to. I haven't touched it yet.

The seat actually has some padding and isn't uncomfortable.

The rims look really nice. A nice round domed type profile and super wide.

The E2 price rise has pushed it into other territory for other options alright. The E1 for me, at AU$6999 couldn't be beaten for value with geo that I liked.

In fairness to Bicycles online, when I contacted them about the rotor issue and told them I needed to bleed them at my LBS, the did offer a refund if I had an itemised invoice. I do all my own work either at home, or at my LBS who is owned/run by a friend and use his tools/kit. The bleed wasn't an issue for me. The rotor....I still can't get straight yet. They did send me a link on how to try fix it (which I already know how to fix), but accepted no responsibility, which is fair enough on their behalf. They said if it continues to be a problem to contact them. What they could offer, I'm not sure. A new rotor? Refund for part and labour by LBS? I'm not too fussed by the rotor. It's more annoying than a problem and isn't a Marin problem.

Obviously there is no free first service being online but it is what it is with current stock levels and availability. I liked the E1 on paper and it rides pretty well. I do most of my own maintenance anyway so bar a shock rebuild or full fork service (probably nearly as expensive as a new set of Gold 35's, so just pay extra for new forks), I'll do all my own work on it.

Took it to the local pump track today, hit a few small jumps there and felt good. Was able to jump/hop/tuck the bike BMX style, got the rear wheel buzzing my butt and nosediving into the landings smooth.

241356502_382254856821300_6359294106674384463_n.jpg

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
cool to see how well you can throw your bike around! seems like the weight is quite manageable for you.
i ordered an E2 in late Dec and still waiting. i'm hoping for an October delivery, but i'm not holding my breath anymore. maybe this year, maybe next year, it's one of those mysteries for the ages.

it will be my first eeb and i couldn't be more stoked. getting to the top of the trail network here is a bitch and my fitness and time constraints make it a rare occasion to get to the best trails anymore. lots of trails here are just so miserable to climb, unless you live for the pain cave, i sure don't so this bike is going to unlock a whole lotta fun when it comes.

the only changes planned from stock is a higher rise bar, different grips, a 210mm dropper post and a Maxxgrip DD Shorty front tire and a Big Betty rear with Rimpact inserts. it's likely to be winter riding conditions and this set up will be ready for the slip and slide. of course it might not get here till next summer the way it's going....

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
cool to see how well you can throw your bike around! seems like the weight is quite manageable for you.
i ordered an E2 in late Dec and still waiting. i'm hoping for an October delivery, but i'm not holding my breath anymore. maybe this year, maybe next year, it's one of those mysteries for the ages.

it will be my first eeb and i couldn't be more stoked. getting to the top of the trail network here is a bitch and my fitness and time constraints make it a rare occasion to get to the best trails anymore. lots of trails here are just so miserable to climb, unless you live for the pain cave, i sure don't so this bike is going to unlock a whole lotta fun when it comes.

the only changes planned from stock is a higher rise bar, different grips, a 210mm dropper post and a Maxxgrip DD Shorty front tire and a Big Betty rear with Rimpact inserts. it's likely to be winter riding conditions and this set up will be ready for the slip and slide. of course it might not get here till next summer the way it's going....

You really only notice the weight when you are wheeling the bike while walking. Once you are riding, the bike seems super planted. Loads of grip with the stock tyres and the extra weight low down digs in on berms and feels really confident to ride. It changes direction really well too.

My local trails are literally the mountain next to me. I live in a hilly area so even the pedal to the bottom of the mountain, 2.5km away is a complete slog for me. I've never done it until I got the ebike. Then the mountain itself, I've never pedalled to the top. I just don't have the legs for it but did it on my first ride from home in 25 minutes with over 450m of climbing, hit some trails, climbed out, went down the mountain on my usual trails and home again in under 2 hours. On Saturday I did a 4 hour, 37km ride with over 1100m of climbing, mostly using boost on medium level and got home with 1 bar of battery and 8km of range left on Boost, but realistically more range.

Your range is dynamic. If you are in boost on a big hill pushing it, it drops to reflect how much range you will have at that current work rate/conditions. When the terrain levels out and it's not working hard, it recalculates your range and changes to reflect that.

Consistently Boost give you 50% range of Eco & Trail give your 75% of Eco.
So from a fresh battery, Eco will give you a theoretical 100km, Trail 75km and Boost 50km.

I've downloaded an app called STunlocker which can connect to the motor and give you more info on your assist levels, as in % of assist for each mode. For example, Low boost is 141%, mid boost is 191% and max Boost is 250%. You can change these % in the app too. If you choose, you can buy the premium licence to unlock other features, one of which is to change the regional setting, which I will do in the near future. I will change it toUSA to increase the max assist speed from 25kmh to 32kmh. You hit 25kmh very quickly and having that extra 7kmh would make it a bit better for when you feel you can go up a gear on a climb, but you are already at 23kmh and going up a gear would mean you go past the 25kmh and lose assistance.

Snip20210908_6.png

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada

I am waiting for the E2 also. Called the LBS I ordered my bike from today in North Van and he said the bikes are at the warehouse in Nanaimo. I'm not sure if this is total Bullcookies or not, because I would not have clue where Marin Canada headquarters are. I will tolerate this a wee bit longer but the new Norco Range VLT has showed up here, and it looks good.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk

I am waiting for the E2 also. Called the LBS I ordered my bike from today in North Van and he said the bikes are at the warehouse in Nanaimo. I'm not sure if this is total Bullcookies or not, because I would not have clue where Marin Canada headquarters are. I will tolerate this a wee bit longer but the new Norco Range VLT has showed up here, and it looks good.

Yea I’m the same, been told end of September now. But I can get a similar spec Nukeproof Megawatt for a similar price in like, 3 days, so this is their last chance. Part of me thinks just go with the megawatt because spare parts will be a lot easier to get if something goes wrong. If the marin need warranty I could be without an ebike for 6 months based on their previous performance.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
Yea I’m the same, been told end of September now. But I can get a similar spec Nukeproof Megawatt for a similar price in like, 3 days, so this is their last chance. Part of me thinks just go with the megawatt because spare parts will be a lot easier to get if something goes wrong. If the marin need warranty I could be without an ebike for 6 months based on their previous performance.
I purely got the Marin because it was good value, actually in stock here in Australia and the spec/geo seemed ok. I'm not too fussy about what I ride and pretty adaptable.

If I had to wait 6 months for a warranty repair....I'd be seeking a refund under Australias consumer laws.

Jagtaguar

Aug 28, 2021
Australia
Hi Guys, I've got an E1 on the way in a medium. The online store I bought it from said the medium comes with a 350lb spring but Marins website says 300lb spring. I queried this with the online store and they quietly changed their website to screenshot it to match the Marin website to say 300lb spring....but other shops and reviews online say 350lb while some blindly quote the Marin wesbite.....

So can anybody with a medium size here tell me what weight spring the bike comes with please?

Thanks.
That’ll be the 500w hour before wheels probably a 625w hour will almost always be 24kg (350) set up especially running coil etc. you’ll mainly notice the weight when loading/unloading and when trying to carry speed about 25kmh on a flat or slight up hill into jumps.
EBikes feel incredible 35-50kmh - they feel so solid and well planted and really open up.

warranty and legislation aside - if your riding on private land a boost chip letting you double the assist is incredible. A lot of them allow you to hold the 1st 2 stock profiles, then switch to the 2nd boosted 2 profiles but telling the limiter your travelling at 1/2 the speed. This means you can accelerate uphill into some step ups and really match the jump performance of an analog bike but still return the bike to a public safe setting

Jagtaguar

Aug 28, 2021
Australia
Thanks for the reply. I thought with that huge 2.8 rear tire some one might try a narrower 29er in there.
I always see these bikes that say they are 29 or 27.5plus compatible .Its a bit confusing. I have not tried a mullet setup before, looking forward to it.
I changed my trek rail 9 to a mullet and would never go back. Mullet on an eeebs feels great and let’s you get the heavy back end more playful without exhausting yourself w big rider input. Makes those tighter turns more enjoyable too

jsfuller

Aug 30, 2021
Hobart
I got my E1 on Tuesday. The bikes certainly don't come packaged as nicely as other online brands such as yt and commencal but still no damage, ever so light bend in front rotor. Paintwork on the front of the headtube is pretty poor, nothing that worries me to much but i know some people it would. Took it for its first ride, did 5 full runs of my local trails, would normally only do 1 or 2, its pretty steep but I ws trying to stay in trail for the most part and was still only 20kms? The battery died just before the top of the last climb even though it said 5 klms range left in boost. I thought it would drop me back to eco first but it just gave out instantly.

What should the factory shimano settings be for eco mode? Eco to me felt barely any different than riding my normal pedal bike so fairly useless which is why I rode in trail and boost most of the time. I got the St unlocker app last night and it said eco was running at 19% assistance and 30nm??? Is that right? Seems to be only just enough to get past the motor drag, I bumped it upto 50% but have yet to ride it. Surely thats not the normal eco setting? I would rather ride my non e bike than slug around in that setting. I did get boost cutting in and out a few times, i read that is a problem with the e7000 on some other forums.

Super happy with how the bike descends however, the rear end is like butter with the coil and the extra weight. It certainly holds speed easier and can overjump things quite easy, take a little bit to get used to but overall pretty stoked for my first emtb, just need to figure out how to make the battery last longer. I think having a more usable eco setting will be a good start. I will probably look to buy a second battery to keep in the car also.

pete-E1

Aug 23, 2021
Australia
I got my E1 on Tuesday. The bikes certainly don't come packaged as nicely as other online brands such as yt and commencal but still no damage, ever so light bend in front rotor. Paintwork on the front of the headtube is pretty poor, nothing that worries me to much but i know some people it would. Took it for its first ride, did 5 full runs of my local trails, would normally only do 1 or 2, its pretty steep but I ws trying to stay in trail for the most part and was still only 20kms? The battery died just before the top of the last climb even though it said 5 klms range left in boost. I thought it would drop me back to eco first but it just gave out instantly.

What should the factory shimano settings be for eco mode? Eco to me felt barely any different than riding my normal pedal bike so fairly useless which is why I rode in trail and boost most of the time. I got the St unlocker app last night and it said eco was running at 19% assistance and 30nm??? Is that right? Seems to be only just enough to get past the motor drag, I bumped it upto 50% but have yet to ride it. Surely thats not the normal eco setting? I would rather ride my non e bike than slug around in that setting. I did get boost cutting in and out a few times, i read that is a problem with the e7000 on some other forums.

Super happy with how the bike descends however, the rear end is like butter with the coil and the extra weight. It certainly holds speed easier and can overjump things quite easy, take a little bit to get used to but overall pretty stoked for my first emtb, just need to figure out how to make the battery last longer. I think having a more usable eco setting will be a good start. I will probably look to buy a second battery to keep in the car also.

I use the Shimano app to set Eco to max, Trail to low and Boost to medium and checked the numbers in ST Unlocker for some info.
High Eco and Low Trail don't feel any different at lower speeds but the more your cadence increases, the more power trail will give you.

I've tried low boost for climbing my local mountain and its just not quite enough for how steep it is so left it in medium boost which is more than enough for anything for me.

I use a mix of trail and eco for climbing and boost if I really need it. Choosing the right gear to keep your cadence between 70-90rpm helps with the battery life too and still a work out. If I drop from boost to trail I usually have to come down a gear or two for the lesser assistance.

I've not really noticed Boost cutting in and out, if you stop pedalling for a moment the assistance dies and once you engage again it comes back so maybe thats what you felt? I think its more pronounced because you're usually using boost on the steeper bits and the bikedoesn't carry much momentum making it more noticeable.

Last weekend did nearly 36km, loads of climbing, over 100m and got home with 8km boost left because its hilly towards my house.

The battery will always leave enough juice for the computer/odometer/lights to run.

I rode some nearby trails on the other side of the mountain today that I'd ridden once before a few months back. I was barely able to do 2 climbs on my regular bike but did 3 bigger climbs today covering about 14km up and down. Using a mix of trail mostly and some boost on the steeper fire trails on the way up and trail on the way down (very steep trails so minimal assist on the way down) and still had 4 bars of battery left and about 44km left on trail mode.

Hit a few new features for me, getting towed in by a friend who lives right by these trails. The bike jumps well. Bit of a back wheel dip on this one just in case I came up short. Super capable bike. It was the shortest travel bike in our group today. I've got a 450lb spring on it at the minute at it feels ok, might need to up it to 500lb though for my trails.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC

holy crap, that would be wildly exciting news, and i wonder if it applies to me. i think the guys at the LBS might let me know though. maybe not. it's true that Marin HQ is in Nanaimo. i've been there. it's merely a big storage locker in a warehouse district. a white door amongst many white doors. they have 1 employee.

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
holy crap, that would be wildly exciting news, and i wonder if it applies to me. i think the guys at the LBS might let me know though. maybe not. it's true that Marin HQ is in Nanaimo. i've been there. it's merely a big storage locker in a warehouse district. a white door amongst many white doors. they have 1 employee.
That does not inspire confidence in the brand lol.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
well you can't really project anything about the brand or bikes based on Cdn distribution. they are a medium sized brand at best and we're a micro market. i don't think many manufacturers even have a distribution center in Canada. if your E2 was in Naniamo you'd probably know it or have it by now. have you heard anything else?

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
well you can't really project anything about the brand or bikes based on Cdn distribution. they are a medium sized brand at best and we're a micro market. i don't think many manufacturers even have a distribution center in Canada. if your E2 was in Naniamo you'd probably know it or have it by now. have you heard anything else?
Yes, you are probably right about the Cdn distributor thing. I talked with my shop yesterday, they only received half their order:( So I keep waiting or change plans.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
as i suspected. my LBS is quite direct with me. we want you to have the bike, but we don't know, Marin doesn't know and we just don't ask anymore because it's a waste of time. when we know for certain we'll tell you. they have said that a couple of times (recall, i ordered it before xmas) but i had to ask again. but i won't ask again!

Jim-D

Dec 3, 2020
South Wales
Same story here. Pre-ordered the E2 last November, told it would arrive by Spring... given up calling the LBS for updates now as its always another month away. I'll just keep my eye on this thread to see if anyone else in the UK has received theirs! Still not a lot available with similar geometry at a decent price, so I'll hold on a bit longer.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
for me it's both price and everything else. lots of bikes look great, but it's not just value, this is the bike i want all around and happens to be a brand sold by my preferred LBS. i hate dealing with other shops, once you found the right one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles