Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
I am almost certain to pull the trigger on the new SL, can someone PM me a good dealer that typically has pricing flexibility and is willing to ship?
IMO, it is best to buy from a LOCAL BIKE SHOP that is near to you, then to shop price only! Too many bad stories about service after the sale from the BIG guys... find a dealer that you trust, and buy from him. The few hundred that you save from buying from the cheapest guy will haunt you later...

Ace

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I am almost certain to pull the trigger on the new SL, can someone PM me a good dealer that typically has pricing flexibility and is willing to ship?
Put your $$ into a 1 year CD, it will probably cash out before the new SL is available. ;)

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I told my Specialized dealer that I hope that the new motor is going to be a 60 Nm, but he thinks it's going to be only 40 Nm - 50 Nm. But is going from 35 Nm to 50 Nm a big enough difference to want to buy the new Levo SL?

I am still amazed by the great motor on my Specialized Vado SL that has the same 1.1 Mahle motor, and how clean and effective the integration with the handlebar remote and top tube display is, even after 2 years.

Given my experience, I would have definitely been interested in the new SL even if the power was only 40-50nm and there is still some noise.

When I bought my Trek Fuel EXe, I didn’t really care that it was 50 nm versus 35 nm. I saw the real world tests did not show a big difference between these two motors.

What I liked was that it was “mid-powered”, lightweight, had the latest geometry, and I also loved the way it looked.

It also had, from a value perspective, better specs for the price than the outgoing Levo SL where I live (Canada).

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
Got the opportunity to have a sneak on a picture of the new Levo SL. As pointed out already here, no side support for the damper unit, modern Geo. Battery stays the same 320Wh, as it seems the Mahle Engine gets bumped up to 48nm torque by software as I was told. Levo Comp around 7000 Euros.

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
Got the opportunity to have a sneak on a picture of the new Levo SL. As pointed out already here, no side support for the damper unit, modern Geo. Battery stays the same 320Wh, as it seems the Mahle Engine gets bumped up to 48nm torque by software as I was told. Levo Comp around 7000 Euros.
...if you wouldn't mind e mailing me the pictures and info you had...

Ace

Last edited by a moderator:

c0stunga

Apr 12, 2023
Germany
I never should have searched the web for a Levo SL successor...
I was about to get a Levo SL alloy but these rumours sound so sweet that I have to stay strong 😬
Would be awesome if Mahles new version of the engine is really going to fit in current Levo SL models.

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
Thanks I saw these pictures from this thread but difficult to judge if it is a mullet setup, also the bikes on the picture might be prototypes with different parts/config than final customer products…
Anyway we should know soon now 😁

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
So lets start some guessing on what may or may not be launched next week or whenever it is.

Here’s mine :-

SJ Evo Geo frame
Mahle motor
50nm motor
400wh battery
180wh extender
Saw it today. You’re almost spot on except that it has the same battery and the old extenders work. They come as a mullet but are 29er compatible. They’re also expensive and only the comp will be available in a few weeks. Other models coming later. At least you’re getting the power and exact geo that you predicted. I’ve probably said a little too much.

Last edited:

Gaba83

Dec 14, 2022
Switzerland
.. for me too, if you wouldn't mind e mailing me the pictures and info you had :)
Gabriele

h3ld

Aug 30, 2020
Heidelberg
So the only hardware update is the geo? 🤔
If it’s the same motor just with updated software all existing motors could be updated as well without exchanging anything…

Losiak

May 26, 2022
Szczecin
So the only hardware update is the geo? 🤔
If it’s the same motor just with updated software all existing motors could be updated as well without exchanging anything…
Yes from what I know only big changes are GEO :/ Motor looks the same so I doubt it will be something new, it will be called 1.2 from 1.1 , battery the same.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Apparently, from the latest customer feedback survey, Spesh discovered than SL riders like to put more effort in than FF riders and like to use their Muscles more. They'd also like to ride with their Full Fat buddies more, but feel rejected sometimes.

This is why there's been such a delay as there's been quite a radical re-design !

The bike now takes the full size/full fat 700wh battery !

The Mahle motor has been completely re-worked and is now silent. However, it no longer produces any assistance (Great news SL Fans !) Instead, there's a tiny generator which charges the battery.

Ideally, you'll now ride with your new Full Fat buddy and swap batteries when theirs is flat giving Full Fat riders and SL riders almost unlimited range on their rides when they team up.

Mission Control will have an extra function page added called "Find an SL Buddy". Spesh hope that with this release, every FF rider will soon want an SL buddy.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Saw it today. You’re almost spot on except that it has the same battery and the old extenders work. They come as a mullet but are 29er compatible. They’re also expensive and only the comp will be available in a few weeks. Other models coming later. At least you’re getting the power and exact geo that you predicted. I’ve probably said a little too much.
Any frame only options?

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I’ll have to ask about frame only options. I also heard that although the motor is an updated version of the old one, it is not backwards compatible. Something about the bottom of the motor/motor plate being different.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ll have to ask about frame only options. I also heard that although the motor is an updated version of the old one, it is not backwards compatible. Something about the bottom of the motor/motor plate being different.
My LBS had the ‘new’ model in their system back on November, and it was then removed a couple of days later.
At that point, the options were Frame only, Comp and S-Works. It was about £7500 for frame only if I remember correctly.

For me, it depends on the noise of the motor whether I’d upgrade or not. My original Levo SL Expert has had everything swapped except the wheels, and is a much better bike than the factory spec (IMO anyway!).
Depending on what they offer spec wise, I’d maybe take a frame only and reuse a lot of my existing parts.

Will see what the costs are and options when it’s eventually announced!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I also heard that although the motor is an updated version of the old one, it is not backwards compatible.
Angry Looney Tunes GIF

TQmotorguy

Apr 8, 2023
California
I agree with your sentiments! How hard could it be to design the new motor to fit the current frame, or make a mounting bracket they allows it? More profits with new bike sale than new motor sale, I guess. Unless the new motor is a step up from the TQ I don’t think that strategy is going to work out.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
At this point there are no rumors. I read all the info myself. I have a comp ordered already. I think MSRP is 8k which is less than the old carbon comp and it’s equipped much better. That being said, my Fuel EXE 9.8 was the same price and came equipped all XT with carbon bars, cranks, and wheels. The Trek is a better deal but I got tired of them dragging their feet on things like releasing an extender battery. The TQ motor is dead silent but I found it to be pretty soft for 50nm. I’m expecting the Mahle 1.2 to be punchier. I’m not a purist, I need a little help but not as much as my levos offer.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
At this point there are no rumors. I read all the info myself. I have a comp ordered already. I think MSRP is 8k which is less than the old carbon comp and it’s equipped much better. That being said, my Fuel EXE 9.8 was the same price and came equipped all XT with carbon bars, cranks, and wheels. The Trek is a better deal but I got tired of them dragging their feet on things like releasing an extender battery. The TQ motor is dead silent but I found it to be pretty soft for 50nm. I’m expecting the Mahle 1.2 to be punchier. I’m not a purist, I need a little help but not as much as my levos offer.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts if / when your bike arrives.

If the new sl motor matches the trek, especially that initial punch and the noise, then I'd be spending some $ - hopefully putting the new motor into my existing levo sl rather than having to start again with a new bike.

I've stopped holding my breath, though - Sept 22 was the last promise my lbs made....and I came VERY close to buying a trek exe last week ( just for the noise, I'm otherwise loving my lsl )

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
I was told a few days ago that the new Levo SL was pretty much ready in January 2022. They've been sitting on it for over a year now, for the reasons already mentioned in this thread.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles