Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just for comparisons sake, so everyones on the same page when making their "on paper" comparisons ..

The Fazua Ride 60 gives 350w max to the rider - though does have it's 12 Second boost option to give 450w and comes with a larger battery than the SL/TQ bikes.

An Orbea Rise with the de-tuned EP8 RS (heavier/larger motor than the others mentioned here) comes with default settings of 350w max to the rider. (though can be unlocked to 500w)

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I’m thinking and kind of hoping that the Levo sl sales pitch will be it’s quieter. Like many others I enjoyed the SLs power and thought the battery lasted well. However it’s noise was horrendous, hopefully we get to see it next month or sooner. Would love just a clear shot to see what we’re working with, post 4# and the other shots give a good idea, however post 4 seems to make it look super chunky around the motor.

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
I had a LSL was very happy about it except 2 things :

1) the motor noise, not only too noisy but an irritating high pitch noise
2) Old Geo overall and lack of head tube angle adjustability when you wanted to switch from light trail usage to more heavy mountain usage with steeper and more rough trails (When summer riding in the Alps for example).

Other than that I liked the bike very much ! Motor feel was good !

I sold mine back in Sept thinking at the time that the new version would be released last October...Waiting since then...using my Epic EVO ;-)

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
The weird fact is that the SL motor has been tested to actually be quieter than the EP8RS! However, lots of people hate the whine it makes. I guess the pitch of that whine is very displeasing to the human ear. Personally, I don’t really care. I wasn’t impressed with the performance of the new motor in the Fuel EXE. The fact that it was quiet wasn’t enough. The only other upside of that motor was that it was very torque rich at a low cadence but it didn’t have much peak power. My hope is that the new Specialized SL motor is that it’s just a hair stronger than the old one….closer to the EP8RS.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
The SL motor uses a proprietary crank standard that is failure prone with no aftermarket options, correct?

What kind of real world weights have people gotten with their existing SL?

Just trying to learn about the platform. Thanks

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
The SL motor uses a proprietary crank standard that is failure prone with no aftermarket options, correct?

I demoed an SL Expert model stock out of the box in Nov.20 and it weighed 40.56lbs on my Feedback scale with a Fox 36 Elite, DPX2 and Oneup alloy pedals. Size L.

This was the first Ebike I've ever ridden and I was grinning on the climbs that I was very familiar with, but the motor whine was on another level. At the time I was unfamiliar if the noise was typical/ normal for all Ebikes or not, but I was a bit embarrassed as I passed other riders and was switching the motor off.

cjc.emtb

Oct 13, 2020
Puerto Rico

Praxis Cranks, 3 years with my LSL and not a single problem. The failure prone you mentioned is new to me.

My Alum one in size Large is under 40 pounds.

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
My LSL, s-works version, tubeless, foam grips with pedals was 17.5kg size XL and IMO the motor had enough power and battery was lasting Long enough even with my 95kgs (ready to ride). I had some rides 40km with 900m+ elevation without extender.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I had my Levo SL (size XL) at 17.2kg’s… with full AXS, Lyric Ultimate, Superdeluxe Ultimate, Magura MT7’s and Michelin Wild tyres.

I did spend a small fortune doing it though - HT ME03T pedals, XX1 group set, S-Works Phenom saddle, Enve bars / stem etc.

I’m more like 17.7kg now as some of the super lightweight bits broke, and I replaced them with slightly heavier bits for durability!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

What is the failure the cranks are prone to?

cjc.emtb

Oct 13, 2020
Puerto Rico
I had my Levo SL (size XL) at 17.2kg’s… with full AXS, Lyric Ultimate, Superdeluxe Ultimate, Magura MT7’s and Michelin Wild tyres.

I did spend a small fortune doing it though - HT ME03T pedals, XX1 group set, S-Works Phenom saddle, Enve bars / stem etc.

I’m more like 17.7kg now as some of the super lightweight bits broke, and I replaced them with slightly heavier bits for durability!
I’m in the same boat but with 2~ pounds difference because of the alloy frame.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
BB but the carbon cranks have been known to fail catastrophically.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Just for comparisons sake, so everyones on the same page when making their "on paper" comparisons ..

The Fazua Ride 60 gives 350w max to the rider - though does have it's 12 Second boost option to give 450w and comes with a larger battery than the SL/TQ bikes.

An Orbea Rise with the de-tuned EP8 RS (heavier/larger motor than the others mentioned here) comes with default settings of 350w max to the rider. (though can be unlocked to 500w)
One more: Specialized specifies the Levo motor as 250 W nominal (continuous), probably for several reasons. One may be to meet different European regulations for maximum continuous power; one may be because the motor housing can only shed that much heat in continuous running. I have not see the nominal ratings for Fazua and EP8 but if they sell in numerous countries they probably have to meet the 250 W regulation.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Pretty certain I'm going to swap my deposit from the Relay to the new SL.
Dependent on if Spesh updated the geo and the motor noise.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
The weird fact is that the SL motor has been tested to actually be quieter than the EP8RS! However, lots of people hate the whine it makes. I guess the pitch of that whine is very displeasing to the human ear. Personally, I don’t really care. I wasn’t impressed with the performance of the new motor in the Fuel EXE. The fact that it was quiet wasn’t enough. The only other upside of that motor was that it was very torque rich at a low cadence but it didn’t have much peak power. My hope is that the new Specialized SL motor is that it’s just a hair stronger than the old one….closer to the EP8RS.
The Pitch being very high might also explain why some mind it less than others. I am in my 30s, have excellent hearing and it is very painful when I am in high 80s RPM on some steep climb in summer, esp. in deep forest. In those conditions the whine gets deafening. It's very tolerable in other conditions though, so rest of the time is ok.

At least that is my theory why the most content people with SL whine seems to be middle-aged guys from UK ;- ).
I would definitely pay to swap the engine for one with lower pitch, I would even sacrifice further performance.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
If the sound is an issue then I’d recommend the Trek Fuel EXE. The EXE is dead silent. The EXE 9.8 XT is an incredible value. It’s about the the same price as the new SL Carbon Comp but comes with XT drivetrain/brakes, carbon cranks, carbon bars, and carbon wheels. All that being said I think the new SL is going be a better riding bike….it’s a lot like a Levo now.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I’ve gone between the exe and the new SL (on which one to get)

I got a very good local spesh dealer, and the trek is still quite heavy it seems. I also see a lot of people don’t get very good range out the trek. Think it’s best to wait and see how the sl is in real life before deciding.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
If the sound is an issue then I’d recommend the Trek Fuel EXE. The EXE is dead silent. The EXE 9.8 XT is an incredible value. It’s about the the same price as the new SL Carbon Comp but comes with XT drivetrain/brakes, carbon cranks, carbon bars, and carbon wheels. All that being said I think the new SL is going be a better riding bike….it’s a lot like a Levo now.
The Exe isn't an AM/ Enduro bike however.

gimmick_82

Oct 6, 2019
Vienna

Size L with 170mm Lyrik, Float X, FW Assegai with tire insert, RW Minion DHF with tire Insert, tubeless, newmen sl EG 30 wheelset, one up 180mm dropper, enve bar, newmen stem, protective film everywhere, xpedo spry pedals = 18,2kg

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
@Rob Rides EMTB is in Portugal :) and here is his story :) I think launch is very very very soon :)

View attachment 111541 View attachment 111542 View attachment 111543 View attachment 111544
Was last week in Sintra :D If I had known I would have ridden Sintra this weekend instead of in Lisbon :) It would have been fun seeing them and getting a selfie with the man!
On a side note, ordered a Pole Voima RACE package for the next few years! Full Fat for the win! I waited too long for the SL's and rumors and with my riding and (fun)racing that was the right way to go!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles