Levo Gen 2 ***>Levo Motor Noise - Whirring Sound???

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Hi all, as I’ve begun to push my Levo a bit more, I’ve also begun to notice some noise either from the motor or BB bearings. The bike has less than 400 miles and I note when I am pedaling fast I get what sort of sounds like a lightweight grinding accompanied by a creaking sound coming from the crank area. I thought it was the chain sort of “whiring” b/c I was pedaling crazy fast, yet I don’t hear the sound the same when the bike is turned off when pedaling.

I recently changed out the front chain ring from 32 to 36 and I’m hearing and feeling more noise in the area. I also note when I hand pedal backwards there’s one small area where if feels as if the there’s a sort of “scuff” in the rotation. Anyone else experiencing this type of issue when pedaling backwards?

My LBS reports little to no issues with my generation of motor. I’ve not ever washed the bike with water and certainly not with a power washer.

What steps can I take to isolate the noise? I’m concerned the motor is beginning to fail.

Thank you all and be well,
Mark

Last edited:

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Hi all, I found a bit more info on my issue from another source - see the quote below that gives a good reppresentation of what I am also experiencing. I am was curious as to how to go about informing my LBS of my issue. That is, the "whirring" sound I am hearing from the motor seems to be increasing - yet isn't present at every pedal stroke just yet. I don't want to get into a sort of power struggle with my local shop if I hear something and they don't. In addition, I am concerned about waiting too much longer before involving my LBS, as I note the older the bike becomes, the less percentage of assistance Specialized offers toward the repair.

I would love to hear from others who have had out of warranty repairs and how things were handled.

"Over the course of a mile it would whir 10-15 times, sounded like something coming from the gearbox - like in a gear that was spinning at about 1/4 the speed of the pedal cadence. Looking at the motor schematics I see that there are several gears in there that could be causing that. Over the course of a month, the whirring increased in frequency to occurring on EVERY PEDAL stroke. If the battery was unplugged or the motor was off, no sound would occur. If the bike wasn't under a load, the sound is minimal. But under heavy load it's super noisy."

Thanks so much and be well.
Mark

fali

Feb 4, 2022
Sant Celoni
Hi all, as I’ve begun to push my Levo a bit more, I’ve also begun to notice some noise either from the motor or BB bearings. The bike has less than 400 miles and I note when I am pedaling fast I get what sort of sounds like a lightweight grinding accompanied by a creaking sound coming from the crank area. I thought it was the chain sort of “whiring” b/c I was pedaling crazy fast, yet I don’t hear the sound the same when the bike is turned off when pedaling.

I recently changed out the front chain ring from 32 to 36 and I’m hearing and feeling more noise in the area. I also note when I hand pedal backwards there’s one small area where if feels as if the there’s a sort of “scuff” in the rotation. Anyone else experiencing this type of issue when pedaling backwards?

My LBS reports little to no issues with my generation of motor. I’ve not ever washed the bike with water and certainly not with a power washer.

What steps can I take to isolate the noise? I’m concerned the motor is beginning to fail.

Thank you all and be well,
Mark
Envia el motor ha cambiar cojinetes ,si hace ruido al girar las bielas hacia atras es sinonimo de cojinetes en mal estado

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Hi all, I found a bit more info on my issue from another source - see the quote below that gives a good reppresentation of what I am also experiencing. I am was curious as to how to go about informing my LBS of my issue. That is, the "whirring" sound I am hearing from the motor seems to be increasing - yet isn't present at every pedal stroke just yet. I don't want to get into a sort of power struggle with my local shop if I hear something and they don't. In addition, I am concerned about waiting too much longer before involving my LBS, as I note the older the bike becomes, the less percentage of assistance Specialized offers toward the repair.

I would love to hear from others who have had out of warranty repairs and how things were handled.

"Over the course of a mile it would whir 10-15 times, sounded like something coming from the gearbox - like in a gear that was spinning at about 1/4 the speed of the pedal cadence. Looking at the motor schematics I see that there are several gears in there that could be causing that. Over the course of a month, the whirring increased in frequency to occurring on EVERY PEDAL stroke. If the battery was unplugged or the motor was off, no sound would occur. If the bike wasn't under a load, the sound is minimal. But under heavy load it's super noisy."

Thanks so much and be well.
Mark
Check that new chainring first to eliminate the possibility of a bent ring or flawed tooth. Remove and re-install with proper torque.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles