Let's get the best e-bike for Downhill

Dave976

Apr 3, 2022
Buckinghamshire
Hi,

I come from the Alps and I hate to pedal up to the top in UK... Usually, I do just something like 10 rides and I go home, which is quite annoying...

So I want to move to an e-Bike for the following reasons:
1. Avoid the pain back on the hill
2. The bike is heavier, I just love it, it gives me more stability
3. I can ride for longer when I go on long MTB trails, not bad for some side fun
4. I can wear all the protections of this planet, and I can still make it for an entire day of riding, the second day to the recovery room in hospital though :D

My primary use will be Downhill, so I wonder if the double fork models are so much better than the standard enduro fork.

I identified a few bikes:
- Giant Trance X X E+ Pro 2 2021 Trance X E+ Pro 29 2 (2021) | Giant Bicycles UK (4400 pounds, but probably I'd go for a Giant Reign around 6500 pounds)
- Whyte: E-180 S (6000 pounds, this seems to be much better)
- Husqvarna Extreme Cross 10 2021 - Extreme Cross 10 2021 (impossible to get in UK)
- Fantic Fantic E-Bike - Downhill - Integra XXF 2.0 720Wh Race (I don't know much about this e-bike, but I found it there and it seems that it could be available somewhere in UK)

The main discriminant is the fork, so, do I need to push my self to find a double fork model or I could be just fine with an enduro bike?
I'd like to have the max safety when it comes to landing, so I think that the DH model is the way...

I also need an e-bike where I can remove the battery quickly every time I need to charge it.

The Giant and Whyte are available, but Husqvarna and any other model similar to that are impossible to find in UK...
Probably Fantic is available somewhere, but then it always depends from the size etc.

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I dont own these bikes but might be worth looking at.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I dont own these bikes but might be worth looking at.

If the primary objective is "downhill" I would recommend the Whyte E180.......preferably the RS rather than the S. Fox Factory 38 and Float X2 take care of the ride and Code RSC the stopping. Its 27.5 if that is what you prefer. DT Swiss hybrid wheelset/ Assegai tyres ..DD on the back EXO+ on the front. So all in nothing you need to upgrade for Alpine downhills except maybe a tyre insert on the back.

The battery takes a couple of minutes to remove/replace with the right technique, with the bike upturned and the addition of a simply made DIY strap........more importantly it it fully encased and protected in the downtube.

Tartam

Mar 30, 2022
Norway
I was looking about the same thing, an emtb primary for downhill but which can be used as an all-around elsewhere. I ended up to by a Trek Rail and upgraded suspension to 180 mm front and 230x62.5 back, and I think that will do the job, not sure yet, we still have snow out on the downhill trails, but from those short rides I've tried it feels quite good. I have to try it later on proper downhill trail to be 100% sure, but Rail it's definitely a good/easy climber.
I was also very interested in Pole Voima and I just saw the one (on ENTB group on Fb) as I always imagine myself, how an ebike for downhill should look like. Maybe I will sell Rail later and go for Voima, to early to know.
You should definitely put this 2 E-Bikes on your list 👍

20220329_150635.jpg

20220329_150625.jpg

Last edited:

Keggie

Mar 12, 2019
Suffolk
Another bike to consider is the Haibike nduro 8 free ride
If Haibike ever release the 2022 models that is,
ohlins dh triple crown forks coil shock mt7

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Kenevo's are available used and then you can customize/upgrade it to the parts you want.

The pole is available as a frame only and can be built just how you like it. Used DH forks are an option too.

Nothing is in stock. Put your money down and wait just like everyone else.

IMO The Kenevo is the best big bike made. It's incredibly capable on full DH tracks and still fun on the mellow ones. Plus it gives up almost nothing in the climbing department. I can keep up with Levo's on the climbs and beat shimano/bosch bikes.

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
have you considered just making your own DH ebike?

i made mine for WAY cheaper then buying a new one.

mine is 1800peak motor watts (bbshd, 1500w nominal) so it goes stupid fast. 1600wh battery pack so it goes crazy far. 230mm rear travel and 200mm front. and at 62lb's its not even that heavy.

total project cost ( at the time) cost me around 4g Canadian, of that 4g , 2g was the bike used.

20210222_141033.jpg
20210222_140944.jpg

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland

Cris

Dec 1, 2018
Beds
have you considered just making your own DH ebike?

i made mine for WAY cheaper then buying a new one.

mine is 1800peak motor watts (bbshd, 1500w nominal) so it goes stupid fast. 1600wh battery pack so it goes crazy far. 230mm rear travel and 200mm front. and at 62lb's its not even that heavy.

total project cost ( at the time) cost me around 4g Canadian, of that 4g , 2g was the bike used.

View attachment 87667 View attachment 87668
What kit is that ? That’s the cleanest conversion I’ve seen 👍

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
What kit is that ? That’s the cleanest conversion I’ve seen 👍
the kit is a BBSHD. you can also use a smaller , less powerfull (750w, 500w, or 250w) bbs02 kit.

it wasnt even that hard to build, hardest part would be building the battery.

original build:

yomoe

Jun 9, 2020
So Cal
Hi,

I come from the Alps and I hate to pedal up to the top in UK... Usually, I do just something like 10 rides and I go home, which is quite annoying...

So I want to move to an e-Bike for the following reasons:
1. Avoid the pain back on the hill
2. The bike is heavier, I just love it, it gives me more stability
3. I can ride for longer when I go on long MTB trails, not bad for some side fun
4. I can wear all the protections of this planet, and I can still make it for an entire day of riding, the second day to the recovery room in hospital though :D

My primary use will be Downhill, so I wonder if the double fork models are so much better than the standard enduro fork.

I identified a few bikes:
- Giant Trance X X E+ Pro 2 2021 Trance X E+ Pro 29 2 (2021) | Giant Bicycles UK (4400 pounds, but probably I'd go for a Giant Reign around 6500 pounds)
- Whyte: E-180 S (6000 pounds, this seems to be much better)
- Husqvarna Extreme Cross 10 2021 - Extreme Cross 10 2021 (impossible to get in UK)
- Fantic Fantic E-Bike - Downhill - Integra XXF 2.0 720Wh Race (I don't know much about this e-bike, but I found it there and it seems that it could be available somewhere in UK)

The main discriminant is the fork, so, do I need to push my self to find a double fork model or I could be just fine with an enduro bike?
I'd like to have the max safety when it comes to landing, so I think that the DH model is the way...

I also need an e-bike where I can remove the battery quickly every time I need to charge it.

The Giant and Whyte are available, but Husqvarna and any other model similar to that are impossible to find in UK...
Probably Fantic is available somewhere, but then it always depends from the size etc.

Why has no one mentioned the Norco Range VLT?? 180mm of travel, 900mah battery (or option to choose smaller/ lighter one), an absolute beast of a bike for DH and anything/ everything in-between

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
Why has no one mentioned the Norco Range VLT?? 180mm of travel, 900mah battery (or option to choose smaller/ lighter one), an absolute beast of a bike for DH and anything/ everything in-between

i think i speak for most when i say 180mm of travel is not exactly meant for DH....... like im sure it can do it, but surely out of its comfort range.

i would say minimum 200mm of travel, or at the minimum 180mm but with dual crown fork.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles