BBSHD Intense 951 Hyper E-Bike

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
hello all.

here is my custom intense 951 Hyper E-bike build.

20210222_140944.jpg

i was gonna call it a "super" e-bike, however after looking around i have yet to see anything come close to the performance of this bike both in terms of electronics and the donner bikes mechanical specs. so its a "hyper" e-bike IMO haha.

specs of this bike:
-BBSHD (1500w) motor
-1,600wh (1.6kwh) battery , (126 samsung-E 3500 cells, aranged in a 14S9P 52v pack)
-BMS is a 40A 52v with thermal cutoff.
-230mm rear travel (fox) with titanium spring
-203mm front travel (rockshox)
-220mm front rotor, 200mm rear, quad piston Avid brakes
-100mm dropper post
-27.5 FLOW rims, with johnnywtts 2.8" e-bike tires
-triple LED projector style lights (45w total) with triple horns
-11s drive
- comfort gel seat and gel grips
-62lb's (28kg) total weight
- aprox 100 km/hr top speed
-range as short as 50km as far as 400km's

please let me know what you think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is how it looked like before i started the project.

20201114_191330.jpg

i had this bike for the entire 2020 season and racked about 2000km's on it before i started the ebike conversion in late fall.

20201220_160946.jpg

after i finished the conversion, it looked like this. i had a set of DHR2 and DHF on there but the rear tire wore out in about 1,000km's.......

so i ended up replacing it with the schwalbe jhonnywatts 2.8", so far ive ridden about 2,000 kms on these and the rear has hardly worn. so it stays!

obviously the DHR/DHF is a far stickier tire, but with over 1,800 peak watts running through the system the rear tire gets worn out way too fast.

it also wheelies in the 3 largest gears from start , so im sure that wears out the tire alot faster too...

made a custom skid plate with two cooling channels for the controller and motor.

im loving the jhonnywatts tire also because they are far quieter and the improvement in rolling resistance gave me a noticeable improvement in range.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive since added custom neoprene protectors on the forks and the shock, changed out the rear gear to smaller ratios, painted the front sprocket, and tweaked the tuning of the controller via laptop to give me better power ratios in each mode.

9 power modes:

level 1=60w
2=120w
3=200w
4=260w
5=350w
6=450w
7=650w
8=900w
9=1200w

and the thumb throttle overrides everything and gives me the full 30amps, which averages around 1500w as the voltage drops.

top speed is aprox 100km/hr and pedaling cadence falls off around 90km/hr
without pedaling the bike hits aprox 70km/hr

the lights are bright as fu#@$@ and have a nice cutoff as to not blind people on the paths/road.

the triple horns are loud as fu@#$%@# and i like it that way :)

range can vary greatly, as the shortest id ever got was about 50kms

while i once rode all day exclusively in level 2 (120w) on the road/gravel and hit over 400km's before the sun went down and i still had 10% battery life.

the bright orange and insane speed give me alot of looks and i do have to try very hard NOT to ride like a baboon. i rarly go above level 4 (250w)

20210222_140944.jpg

20210222_141004.jpg

20210222_140955.jpg

20210222_141014.jpg

20210222_141033.jpg

20210222_141041.jpg

20210222_141054.jpg

20210224_135435.jpg

20210224_140849.jpg

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Even though I personally wouldn’t like that kind of bike, great work and design you’ve done. Your bike is great ?
hello all.

View attachment 54406

i was gonna call it a "super" e-bike, however after looking around i have yet to see anything come close to the performance of this bike both in terms of electronics and the donner bikes mechanical specs. so its a "hyper" e-bike IMO haha.

specs of this bike:
-BBSHD (1500w) motor
-1,600wh (1.6kwh) battery , (126 samsung-E 3500 cells, aranged in a 14S9P 52v pack)
-100mm dropper post
-11s drive

View attachment 54404

i had this bike for the entire 2020 season and racked about 2000km's on it before i started the ebike conversion in late fall.

View attachment 54405

after i finished the conversion, it looked like this. i had a set of DHR2 and DHF on there but the rear tire wore out in about 1,000km's.......

so i ended up replacing it with the schwalbe jhonnywatts 2.8", so far ive ridden about 2,000 kms on these and the rear has hardly worn. so it stays!

obviously the DHR/DHF is a far stickier tire, but with over 1,800 peak watts running through the system the rear tire gets worn out way too fast.

it also wheelies in the 3 largest gears from start , so im sure that wears out the tire alot faster too...

made a custom skid plate with two cooling channels for the controller and motor.

im loving the jhonnywatts tire also because they are far quieter and the improvement in rolling resistance gave me a noticeable improvement in range.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive since added custom neoprene protectors on the forks and the shock, changed out the rear gear to smaller ratios, painted the front sprocket, and tweaked the tuning of the controller via laptop to give me better power ratios in each mode.

9 power modes:

level 1=60w
2=120w
3=200w
4=260w
5=350w
6=450w
7=650w
8=900w
9=1200w

and the thumb throttle overrides everything and gives me the full 30amps, which averages around 1500w as the voltage drops.

the lights are bright as fu#@$@ and have a nice cutoff as to not blind people on the paths/road.

while i once rode all day exclusively in level 2 (120w) on the road/gravel and hit over 400km's before the sun went down and i still had 10% battery life.

the bright orange and insane speed give me alot of looks and i do have to try very hard NOT to ride like a baboon. i rarly go above level 4 (250w)

View attachment 54406
View attachment 54408
View attachment 54407
View attachment 54409
View attachment 54410
View attachment 54411
View attachment 54412
View attachment 54413
View attachment 54414
Holy f*****g Moly
Insane incredible intense........

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
What modifications did you need to make to the frame to fit the motor and battery?

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
o. I forgot to mention.

I picked up the bike for 2g (canadian dollar) used. spent aprox 2g in parts. so total cost was 4g cad. maybe another 500$ for new tires .brakes rotors. and sprockets.

and of course alot of my time to make it all look and perform perfect.

I should also add. I milled out a motor heat transfer plate/cradle. it is sandwiched between the motor and the frame so heat can be transferred from the motor into the frame. basically using the aluminum frame as a giant heat sink.

Last edited:

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
What modifications did you need to make to the frame to fit the motor and battery?
the battery is housed in a custom plastic enclosure which is then bolted to the frame through 3 small inserts I pressed in.

as for the motor, the bbshd unit goes through the BB as most know. but the motor "uttered" too much for my liking. so I had to bend the lower part of the frame alittle to make the motor come up. I then had to mill out a aluminum cradle/ mount to help reinforce the lower part of the frame. not really necessary IMO since I don't jump higher the a few feet usually. but I figured I'd put it in as a " just in case " .

an added bonus was this motor cradle helps transfer heat away from the motor and into the frame.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
DIY ++++(y) The cleanest BBSHD conversion I have ever seen for sure. The same weight as a Flyon, it's hard to hide a big motor's windings and large wh batteries from the weight wienie genie!

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Damn, when you said you had a bbshd on there you were lying. That’s the cleanest integration and best build I using that motor I’ve ever seen.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks for posting.
Do you have any build pics at all you could share? I'd be particularly interested in how you cut away/modified the frame to fit the motor/battery aswell.

One question. Why the neoprene covers for the fork stanchions?
Actually another couple of questions:
to rack up 2000km I guess you live somewhere lift accessed? I can't imagine pedalling a 951 around to be fun at all.
and lastly. Do I recognise your garage door from ridemonkey many moons ago? or do all Canadian grage doors look the same?

Last edited:

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
Damn, when you said you had a bbshd on there you were lying. That’s the cleanest integration and best build I using that motor I’ve ever seen.

thank you.

ive had several people in and around my city ask me where i bought it, when i tell them its a conversion kit they dont believe me. they say it looks " too clean" to be a conversion haha.

Thanks for posting.
Do you have any build pics at all you could share? I'd be particularly interested in how you cut away/modified the frame to fit the motor/battery aswell.

One question. Why the neoprene covers for the fork stanchions?
Actually another couple of questions:
to rack up 2000km I guess you live somewhere lift accessed? I can't imagine pedalling a 951 around to be fun at all.
and lastly. Do I recognise your garage door from ridemonkey many moons ago? or do all Canadian grage doors look the same?

frame was not cut, only bent slightly. and the battery is held on with only 3 small screw holes as to not compromise frame strength.

i put neoprene covers on every shock/fork i own including my motorbikes. it DRAMATICALLY increases seal life and keeps your suspension running more consistently for longer. the only drawback i see is the neoprene creates alittle extra drag as the suspension works up and down so your forks dont feel as "smooth", but the benefits far out weigh the cons for me.

just for some context. i ride ALOT. like insane alot. and i ride year round here in calgary, Alberta, canada , both on my motorbikes and on my bicycles. i commute to work via e-bike and then ride motorbike for work. my commute is 54km there and back with relatively flat streets/paths, while i ride on average 200kms a day on the motorbike. so do the math, but thats alot of KM's, (14,000kms for the commute, and 50,000km's for the motorbike, altho more like 40,000km's because the other 10,000km i ride in the car cuz winter.....)

before i started using neoprene covers i was going through fork seals on my motorbikes about once a year, ( dual sport motorbike) and about every 6 months on my MTB's. now anyone thats done any kind of suspension work knows its, dirty, hard, expensive, and really easy to fuck up. i do my own fork seals and let me tell you , it gets old really fast......

after adding the neoprene covers, you basically 10x your seals life. which saves you alot of time and $$$$, and alot less frustration. also not to mention as seals age, your suspension characteristics will change also. with neoprene covers the suspension preforms more consistently over the life of the seal.

when i got the intense 951, i rode it stock "as is". im a very fit guy but even i struggled to commute to work 54kms a day on a DH bike...... i raised the seat much higher, locked out the suspension, inflated the tires, and most importantly added a 11s "trail" gear-set and junked the old DH-gears. this helped, and after a few months i racked up about 2000km's on the bike before i went back to my carbon ebike for commuting haha.

no idea who ridemonkey is, and yes, alot of garage doors look the same in canada. infact i think there is only like 2 garage door manufacturers here so yeah hahaha

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
With the light full-suspension and this one you totally deserve the DIY custom e-bike builder gold medal! Thanks for sharing ??

Any other custom builds to show us? Legal or illegal ... :LOL::giggle:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
hello all.

View attachment 54406

specs of this bike:
-BBSHD (1500w) motor
-100mm dropper post
-11s drive

View attachment 54404

View attachment 54405

9 power modes:

level 1=60w
2=120w
3=200w
4=260w
5=350w
6=450w
7=650w
8=900w
9=1200w

View attachment 54406
View attachment 54408
View attachment 54407
View attachment 54409
View attachment 54410
View attachment 54411
View attachment 54412
View attachment 54413
View attachment 54414
Just out of interest......how did you do the math to work out what angle you required to bend the frame too to make the motor/battery fit a possibility and how did you stop the frame deforming during the “bending” process. I keep returning to your thread to read your uploads, you’ve done an incredible job on the conversion, just brilliant ??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
how did you do the math to work out what angle
I'm thinking math was thrown out of the window and a steel bar the same size as the motor was suitably applied against the bottom of the frame .. well, something like that. It seems like a situation where a more practical physical solution would be sought ! :)

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
With the light full-suspension and this one you totally deserve the DIY custom e-bike builder gold medal! Thanks for sharing ??

Any other custom builds to show us? Legal or illegal ... :LOL::giggle:

i built a total of 12 E-bikes in 2019/2020, ranging from road bikes to gravel bikes, trail bikes and enduro bikes, mainly for friends and family. im actually thinking of making a company out of it, however in the last 3 months or so parts have become very hard to come by and everything is on back order. strange how the world works.....

and yes, they are all illegal except for 2...... but ive never really cared for the law, as long as you are courteous of others, ebike dont need to be restricted. its just the 5% of people that ride like baboons that we need laws for.

I'm thinking math was thrown out of the window and a steel bar the same size as the motor was suitably applied against the bottom of the frame .. well, something like that. It seems like a situation where a more practical physical solution would be sought ! :)

correct. i used various hammers and i put the motor in and took it out probably close to 100 times to get it just right haha.

Last edited:

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
If I was you I would concentrate on the battery/enclosure as it is to me the most innovative part of that bike and would be relatively easy to fit to other like models rather than the Hailong style ones and way more stylish. I'd be your first customer!

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
This is mint. Surprisingly "light weight" given the specs. I was expecting 30kg++++

Can you crank it up to a full 40a on the controller?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
hello all.

View attachment 54406

specs of this bike:
-BBSHD (1500w) motor
-100mm dropper post
-11s drive

View attachment 54404

View attachment 54405

9 power modes:

level 1=60w
2=120w
3=200w
4=260w
5=350w
6=450w
7=650w
8=900w
9=1200w

View attachment 54406
View attachment 54408
View attachment 54407
View attachment 54409
View attachment 54410
View attachment 54411
View attachment 54412
View attachment 54413
View attachment 54414
I have to say that for me it looks better than the official Intense offering, congratulations on a very well executed build.

ALLMTN

Aug 21, 2020
Northern Califonia
hello all.

View attachment 54406

specs of this bike:
-BBSHD (1500w) motor
-100mm dropper post
-11s drive

View attachment 54404

View attachment 54405

9 power modes:

level 1=60w
2=120w
3=200w
4=260w
5=350w
6=450w
7=650w
8=900w
9=1200w

View attachment 54406
View attachment 54408
View attachment 54407
View attachment 54409
View attachment 54410
View attachment 54411
View attachment 54412
View attachment 54413
View attachment 54414
Sickness with a Quickness. Incredible job man. Well done. Love it!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles