Other Learning Cadence and Garmin Montana

JayMartin

May 26, 2021
Denver, CO USA
Hello,
Got my first ride in today on my first eMTB, a 2021 Levo Comp. I have been reading how the motor prefers me pedaling at 70-90 rpm and am therefore looking for an inexpensive way to learn about my cadence. I have a Gamin Montana which under Setup has ANT Sensor and then under that Bike Cadence Sensor. If I could get the bike to communicate with the Montana, it would display cadence. All I would need to buy is a handlebar mount for it. Anyone know about this or have a different suggestion altogether?
Thanks,
Jay

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Levo owners report that all you need to do is to go to your "Add sensors" screen on the Garmin while the Levo is switched on.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You could also go with a cheap phone mount and either run Mission Control, which will show cadence or Blevo, which will also show cadence.

It's also interesting in the early days to see how the motor responds power wise to your input on different gradients and at different speeds whilst in different assistance modes. To learn about efficiency, you can see wh/km to get an idea of where your battery power is going. (or wh/miles for you..)

This is from Blevo on a steep technical climb for instance :

blevo.jpg

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I wouldn't worry too much, all this figure watching sucks the fun out of riding, just get out and enjoy the bike you'll soon get the feel of what works best for you!

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I have a simple bike computer. To learn how the right cadence feels I just used a screen with a timer and counted pedal revolutions over 12 secs, then multiplied by 5.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I would like to see more stats than is possible with the Montana. Is there recommended phone mount? Or an entire thread somewhere on that? ;)
Thanks,
Jay
Just search Phone mount and there's dozens of threads on them.

I went with a cheapo GUB one as it's not something I planned to use every ride but in fairness it's been bullet proof.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles