Levo Gen 3 Cadence and Assist

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
Gen3 Levo: On trail, I find myself typically in the mid 60s cadence. This feels comfortable for me. I know that the sweet spot is between 70-90 so I try to increase when I can and monitor my cadence on the TCU display. With my analog bike, on serious technical singletrack with rock climbs, I tended to approach obstacles at a very slow cadence then lift & punch to traverse the obstacle. I don’t need the momentum going in because I’m pretty strong in the legs. Translating this now to my e-bike, it makes things so much easier but I am in need of advice on Assist level and motor health. Is there a rule-of-thumb for the amount of Assist to program in for this type of slow cadence/quick punch scenario? Ignoring battery drain, is riding at a sub-optimal cadence hurting the motor?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
my experience of the Brose motor was that 50 to 60 cadence was fine and rarely needed or benefited from 70 to 90. Unlike the Bosch motor which definitely works best with a higher cadence, Spesh seem to dial in a broader effective cadence range. In terms of punching up tech climbs, gear selection is more important in terms of being kind to both drivetrain and motor but if you combine low gearing with turbo ( for example) you can attack rock outcrop type climbs with more precision and with greater a bility to lift the front wheel as required. That much really applies to all EMTBs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles