Levo Gen 3 Garmin or belevo for cadence etc on a gen 3

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Hi
I would like to monitor some data mainly cadence on my gen 3
( This is the non mastermind tcu bike ) so like the gen 2 was

Would the belevo app tell me this and be accurate or would I be better of getting a garmin unit ?

Many thanks

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Both - Blevo and Garmin devices will tell you data like power, cadence and so on.
It‘s up to you what you prefer:
-a mobile phone for Blevo with all advantages (many options for ebiking) and disatvantages (battery life)
-a Garmin device (less options for ebikes; more possibilities to personalize the displayed information)
But that's really a question of personal preference.
The best thing to do is to read about Blevo on the Internet and find out about Garmin devices.
I prefer Garmin. But maybe that's because I'm used to it from the days when there was no Blevo and I developed my own Garmin IQ datafield for my Levo.

bdoviack

Oct 19, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
I am/was exactly in your situation. I bought a Levo Gen 3 with the old Mastermind computer. I started with the Blevo app on my phone and it surprisingly worked very well. More data in fact than even the Garmin I eventually bought. The main disadvantage was I felt uncomfortable using my primary phone as my bike computer due to a few reasons:
  1. No ideal way to mount the phone. Yes, there are special cases and brackets to mount the phone but nothing felt "native" to the bike.

2. Paranoia about environmental issues with the phone. On a mountain bike, with all the vibration, dust, sweat, moisture, etc., I always a bit uneasy that my phone would survive these conditions for hours on end. Yes, there are cases you can enclose the phone it, but then you lose screen sensitivity making it harder swipe and touch.

3. Glare and ergonomics. The glossy screen in the sun and having to swipe and touch with dusty and/or sweaty fingers wasn't the easiest thing to do.

In the end, I got a Garmin 1040. It mounts cleaner and is optimized for a bike with larger touchpoints, fonts, etc. Plug it's "ruggedized" meaning it's designed to handle heavy vibrations, jumps, dusty trails, etc.

A nice bonus feature is that Garmin offers a remote button switch to rotate between screens on the 1040. Didn't think it'd be that useful, but it's great as when you're on an extreme downhill run with plenty of bumps, you can see things like speed, maps, etc. without lifting your hands from the bars.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles