iPhone or Garmin on Levo?

Stu-k

Apr 16, 2018
Australia
What mount, the out front (reversed) ? Stem looks to short for the stem mount.
Just trying to get all the bits I need before the bike arrives so I’m right to go.
Even ordered some flat pedals(standard ones look like junk)which should be interesting after using clip less in the past.

Stu-k

Apr 16, 2018
Australia
I For STRAVA I actually use a Tomtom multisport watch. it's tiny, backlit, does HR and comes with a neat bar mount. I got a great deal at the time (3+ years back) when buying though. £105 with HR strap, Speed/Cadence Sensors bar mount and charging cradle. It doesn't do maps but I don't need that for mtb.

GPS-watch-TomTom-MultiSport-HRM+CSS+AM.jpg

TomTom Multisport GPS Sports Watch Heart Rate Monitor Speed Cadence Sensor | eBay

An absolute steal ^^
Looks interesting, does it work with the mission control stuff? I saw the Garmin watches do but probably not worth the expense for one of those.

Kendoji

Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam
I'd really like to get a Garmin Edge 1030. I tend to prefer dedicated units, like my TomTom RIDER on my motorbike, over using my iPhone. The Garmin has some cool Strava features that I think would be great, but it is a pricey bugger. I'll need to wait until I have 500 Euros burning a hole in my pocket, which after buying my emtb might take a while. :p

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
i have the garmin 1030. for some reason i can not get the battery level or modes to show as data fields. kinda buggy. it shows on its on screen and can change modes from there, but not as data fields. just gives me 0% and won't say mode im in.

Stu-k

Apr 16, 2018
Australia
iPhone with a usb battery pack seems cheaper easier and more fully featured still :)
Don’t know bout price my iPhone cost over $1500, thought the Garmin maybe durable in a crash. But plenty of smashed Garmins around for sale so guess not.
Apple care maybe the go ?

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
well I have an iPhone & a a Garmin watch & a Garmin 520 edge, if someone knows how to get the Garmin to even tell me distance I have traveled, I would be happy, it has been a waist of $ all I get out of it is a speedo that is easy to read if light is on. but I have never been able to get it to hook up to my levo. the iPhone great easy to hook up mission control. if someone can tell me how you get the edge 520 to hook up to levo or even tell distance I've traveled for each ride I would be very grateful!!

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
well I have an iPhone & a a Garmin watch & a Garmin 520 edge, if someone knows how to get the Garmin to even tell me distance I have traveled, I would be happy, it has been a waist of $ all I get out of it is a speedo that is easy to read if light is on. but I have never been able to get it to hook up to my levo. the iPhone great easy to hook up mission control. if someone can tell me how you get the edge 520 to hook up to levo or even tell distance I've traveled for each ride I would be very grateful!!
You need to download the Specialized levo data field from the garmin is store for the 520 and install on your 520, selet the field on your 520 to display it, your watch may not be compatible you need a fenix 5 or the lateast forerunner 935 to run this field. Then in mission control set the fake field to either cadence, heart or power, it should then all appear on your 520

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Thank you Theolegit!!
I did the specilize app download & it shows in the Garmin Express on my Mac under my 520 edge. but as yet I have not been able to locate the specilized app in my 520 Edge itself, I have a Garmin Fenix5 watch like it, but as yet only the Garmin Express app on my Mac knows or can find both. I'll get there somehow. just , it's not as easy and simple as I expected.
have not spent much time at it, but, after Gary mentioned, settings , display . looks promising, but can't see specilized app in there yet & it's never been able to find my levo yet. I turn on bluetooth, turn on bike, it search but finds nothing but it finds my phone ok.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Garmins are clunky as hell and the manual isn't great. I found some great user created guides for navigating the clusterfuck garmin menu system on my 800. You could try googling or a youtube search to try and find something similar for the 520.

Thank you for that Gary!!

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
Thank you Theolegit!!
I did the specilize app download & it shows in the Garmin Express on my Mac under my 520 edge. but as yet I have not been able to locate the specilized app in my 520 Edge itself, I have a Garmin Fenix5 watch like it, but as yet only the Garmin Express app on my Mac knows or can find both. I'll get there somehow. just , it's not as easy and simple as I expected.
have not spent much time at it, but, after Gary mentioned, settings , display . looks promising, but can't see specilized app in there yet & it's never been able to find my levo yet. I turn on bluetooth, turn on bike, it search but finds nothing but it finds my phone ok.
That’s where the confusion lies it’s not an app it’s a data field so you need to set it up via the settings menu - activities & apps - then your bike/mtb or whatever you have called it the bike/mtb settings - data screens then you will find the data field.
Hope that helps, can’t remember on the edge as I’ve sold my 1000, the fenix did all I want, but again you would select it as a data field NOT an app, I made that mistake To a while ago.

Last edited:

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US
Any advantage in using a Garmin over an iPhone? Seen a few on eBay going cheap(compared to my $1500 iphone) Same functions?
I thought about getting a Garmin gadget, even their Fenix 5x which integrates with my Levo to manage speed, distance, etc. However, the more I thought about it the less desire I had to get yet another device to charge and manage and LOSE. The iPhone works very well actually and especially if you have an iPhone 7 since it is pretty water resistant in case of rain. The biggest thing was mounting it so the best mount I have found is Delta Smart cell phone mount http://a.co/6cezo8B for around $18 bucks US. It will mount using its own connections or even better which is what I use is it allows you to mount it to the stem. After several trails with jumps and even a couple falls the iPhone does not come off. The only cool thing about the Garmin is a health monitor, but I am sure you can get a bluetooth heart monitor that connects via an app on the iPhone to do the same thing. So I don't know that there is any pressing reason to get yet another gadget because the iPhone I am sure can do the same thing plus more. And who doesn't want your phone on you if you are going solo on a trail and get into a pickle. ;-)

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
the iPhone works fine but have not got a mount for bar for it. just goes in my pocket. I will need more time to go though data field on Garmin edge 520, Fenix watch works great but, m8 when I'm flat out on levo I can't look at a watch.
been busy up Sydney cheers
hope all good there

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
the iPhone works fine but have not got a mount for bar for it. just goes in my pocket. I will need more time to go though data field on Garmin edge 520, Fenix watch works great but, m8 when I'm flat out on levo I can't look at a watch.
been busy up Sydney cheers
hope all good there
You can get a bar mount for your watch works great

F0A0908E-1B05-4138-8F48-2119C7F4E20D.jpeg

Stu-k

Apr 16, 2018
Australia
Thanks for all the ideas guys, think I will just use the iPhone, quadlock mount and maybe an external battery so can have the display on all the time.
Cheers

junglie69

Mar 22, 2018
Warminster
Hi I use my Garmin 500, works well. The speed is just GPS, cadence comes from the Levo and the power although not showing at the moment is via the fake channel on the Mission control app along with the 2018 remote I never have to look down at the meter on the side. Don’t really need anything more.

6C7F3F63-2FDB-4135-9DE9-93DF624A8402.jpeg 1F273FA0-6150-4AC0-9C33-0A6F01AEDCC0.jpeg

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
I use Garmin edge 1030, my iPhone 8plus is too bulky, and when I fall (this will happen) I am sure the iPhone will fly... also hard to read the screen with direct sun light

Cyclone

May 10, 2018
I used an old iPhone 5c that I didn't mind loosing or damaging. You can grab them for around £50 pre owned, app apps are shared through your account so I had a full Navigon Satnav etc on it. Plus you can use the apps ans phone holders can Ben had for as little at £3 on amazon and look very sleek (small) on the bike.

I also forward my calls to that phone when I on a bike and same with I message and weather apps like dark skies etc which gives me notifications. I also connect Spotify to my wireless headphones etc and can even stream tv when I get to a location and need a rest.

I would usually pop an episode of a TV show etc while I stopped to eat.

For the price the 5c is an absolute steal for a bike as it's a perfect size, all apps are shared from your account, covers and ho,dears are dirt cheap, the phone its self is dirt cheap and you can tether and forward called etc from your main phone etc and have a full Satnav/radio/tv weather station etc :)

Brilliant!

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
I use a Wahoo Bolt Elemnt. Great little device. It can read the battery charge level from the Levo and that's enough for me. Usability is very good, easy to load GPX routes into it and it has a good Strava and smart phone integration. Black and white screen is easy to see even in direct sun light. Exploring unknown terrain with the BW display is a bit hard though. I have mounted it on the top of the stem cap. Stays put even in bike park riding.

I occasionally also use an Android phone. Osmand is great for mtb. I mount it on the top tube instead of handlebars. Everything on handlebars will fly off sooner or later :-D

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Does anyone use Garmin Edge 130 on Levo? Battery life? What information of Levo it shows?

I use a Wahoo Bolt Elemnt. Great little device. It can read the battery charge level from the Levo and that's enough for me. Usability is very good, easy to load GPX routes into it and it has a good Strava and smart phone integration. Black and white screen is easy to see even in direct sun light. Exploring unknown terrain with the BW display is a bit hard though. I have mounted it on the top of the stem cap. Stays put even in bike park riding.
Wahoo's battery life? Shows anything else from Levo than battery level? Can you compare it with Garmin's devices?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles