Levo Gen 2 iPhone mounting advice for noob...

ChrisGillie

Jul 29, 2020
UK
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone! I ended up getting the G-85 that @Akiwi recommended. it’s so low cost, fits every phone including my wife’s etc. And is disposable and cheap to replace.

It fits great, phone is central and secure, battery pack site on the bars central, but now my only question is...

I have had to tighten the screw very tightly to stop the mount from being loose and rotating... however I heard having the screw to tight is not good for the bike.

How right can I tighten this stem headset screw without concerns?

@Akiwi how tight do you tighten your screw? I noticed when I undid my headset screw it was really nice and loose, now I’m having to really nip it up, to get it to grip the phone mount securely and stop it twisting and rotating, but I’m worried if it’s too tight I might damage the stem headset area?

Anyone know how tight this can be?

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
For all the Quadlock zealots.... you are right, great mount.

48E7F776-143C-4737-90FB-5FBAD2207B89.JPG
99354A51-C395-42AC-B0C5-C3AC3B84E946.JPG
E70FD8C1-1E01-405F-9C35-6C71D7BB5004.JPG

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Hi all, I’ve just picked up my first ebike. I got a great deal from someone upgrading and picked up a 2018 levo.
I’m loving the bike so far, but I’ve ordered 4 phone mounts and none seem to do what I need, which I thought would be simple, but is apparently not.

I’d like to mount my iPhone directly central on the handle bars, I looked at stem mounts, holders etc like these.
Etc

But they done seem to work with phones, just specific garmen devices etc.

Is there ANY device (ideally available on Amazon) that would allow me to mount my phone (iPhone 8) central on the handle bars.

I can’t have one of the angled holders that clips to the bar, then “L” brackets off as I had added a battery pack to my bars and it’s held on with 2 brackets already, so the only way to mount my phone is a central option.

Does anyone know of any method to get an iPhone, completely central on the bars/stem etc?

Hope you can help a newbie out :)
I use a RokForm mount on my bicycles and motorcycles. It is a solid iPhone case and the mounting technology is pretty good.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
@Akiwi how tight do you tighten your screw? I noticed when I undid my headset screw it was really nice and loose, now I’m having to really nip it up, to get it to grip the phone mount securely and stop it twisting and rotating, but I’m worried if it’s too tight I might damage the stem headset area?

Anyone know how tight this can be?
Normally to set your head bearing preasure you loosen the side screws on your stem, and use the top screw to loosen or tighten the down preasure.
Then you can tighten up the 2 side screws whch clamps your stem onto the vertical head tube.
Now you can tighten or loosen the top screw as you like, and it shouldn't affect the preasure on the headset bearings.

ChrisGillie

Jul 29, 2020
UK
Normally to set your head bearing preasure you loosen the side screws on your stem, and use the top screw to loosen or tighten the down preasure.
Then you can tighten up the 2 side screws whch clamps your stem onto the vertical head tube.
Now you can tighten or loosen the top screw as you like, and it shouldn't affect the preasure on the headset bearings.

Thanks @Akiwi,
Have I made a mistake then, here is what I did.

My headset etc has just been set correctly and re greased etc during a quick service I sent it for.

So I just unscrewed the top screw, removed it, placed the G-85 in place with a grommet, and popped the exsisting screw back through And I had to tighten it very tight to stop the mount rotating.

I did NOT adjust the side screws, loosen them, or tighten them or tough them in ANY way. I just undid the top screw, popped the mount on, and tightened it really tight.

Is this ok or did I do this wrong a make a dangerous move?

Should I have loosened the lower screws first, or a month I safe.

Again, I’m going to apologise for my questions, but I’m also going to thank you again for being so helpful, patient and informative with this, I honestly appreciate it.

Thank again, hopeful,y I’ve not made a mistake and I’m good to go, this solution is great though, such a great idea and can’t thank you enough for pointing me toward this way of mountings thr phone.

ChrisGillie

Jul 29, 2020
UK
What you did was the correct way to do it - once the pinch bolts on the stem are tight, the star fangled nut doesn't have much of a job to do...
Thanks you @deksawyer that puts my mind at rest, I thought maybe I had done this wrong and my bike now was dangerous, or you know, just not a good idea.

I really want to thank everyone here who has helped!

I’m a complete noob at this is every way, I’m sorry if I seem like a dumb ass, I just want to relax on an bike and explore while I still can and everyone here has been great.

Thanks for keeping me safe and for helping me find the correct products!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Thanks @Akiwi,
Have I made a mistake then, here is what I did.

My headset etc has just been set correctly and re greased etc during a quick service I sent it for.

So I just unscrewed the top screw, removed it, placed the G-85 in place with a grommet, and popped the exsisting screw back through And I had to tighten it very tight to stop the mount rotating.

I did NOT adjust the side screws, loosen them, or tighten them or tough them in ANY way. I just undid the top screw, popped the mount on, and tightened it really tight.

Is this ok or did I do this wrong a make a dangerous move?

Should I have loosened the lower screws first, or a month I safe.

Again, I’m going to apologise for my questions, but I’m also going to thank you again for being so helpful, patient and informative with this, I honestly appreciate it.

Thank again, hopeful,y I’ve not made a mistake and I’m good to go, this solution is great though, such a great idea and can’t thank you enough for pointing me toward this way of mountings thr phone.
Yep, as mentioned above. Perfect!!

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I've got this one with nfc powerbank. Works like a charm:
Had any accidents / OTBs? How did it hold up?
I would want a little give in the mount to help it cope with impacts.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Please for the love of all that is good in the world, just put your phone in your pocket. A phone mount is the MTB equivalent of a pocket protector plus you are putting an expensive device directly in harms way.

You are much better off buying a cheap Garmin unit which will give you all of the information except music. Also, if you are going to ride with headphones you should ride with one earbud out. I can't tell you how many times I have caught someone from behind and tried to politely let them know. Most times I continue to raise my voice until I am yelling as loud as I can and they still can't hear me. Then they freak out when they get passed and it becomes dangerous for everyone.
I understand your basic point, but I need a phone for two reasons:
1. My sense of direction is utter shit, so I need to use a navigation system unless I'm following someone or using a well-known route.
2. I can't see close-up for reading whilst I'm riding, so I need a huge display to stand a chance (using a Note 8)

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
No way I’d be putting a 1k device on the bars of my MTB. Get a Garmin or Wshoo computer.

...or do what I did, and buy a used/unlocked iPhone 8 for $250...much better apps/functionality than Garmin or Wahoo, for less cost.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Actually, the GPS chipset have outperformed Garmin's in a lot of tests. My Garmin devices often took a LOOOOOONG time to get a GPS fix/acquire satellites (Garmin Edge, Garmin Fenix). And the software on dedicated devices simply sucks. That's the main benefit of using a smartphone - GPS Tracks, TrailForks, Strava, etc, all with a readable map. Also, many of the more affordable dedicated devices lack a touchscreen, which makes usage while riding a real PITA.

For me, it was really the apps that made the choice easy. I use RAM mounts on eMTB and my dirt bike for it (as well as for enduro scroll charts, mirrors, etc.) and it has worked out well. A little bit heavy, but functionality is great.

Venlo

Jul 2, 2019
Venlo The Netherlands
Had any accidents / OTBs? How did it hold up?
I would want a little give in the mount to help it cope with impacts.

I'm very satisfied with the sks solution. I've used it for two weeks in the Saalbach bikepark and on numerous rides after that and it does what it should do. I've crashed with it and it keeps connected to the bike. Very good product. I now use it also on my "analogue" bike
Grtz

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I'm very satisfied with the sks solution. I've used it for two weeks in the Saalbach bikepark and on numerous rides after that and it does what it should do. I've crashed with it and it keeps connected to the bike. Very good product. I now use it also on my "analogue" bike
Grtz
Excellent - thank you for the feedback!

Saalbach bikepark looks really nice. Any ebike restrictions there?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles