Levo Gen 3 Larger chainring on 2022 Turbo Levo?

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
I am wondering if anyone has installed a 36 or 38 tooth chainring on the 2022 Turbo Levo?
I read here about 2020-2021 fittings. But the 2022 frame was redesigned and am not sure it is any different in the chainring area.
The manual says 36t the biggest. Definitely would prefer the 38 t going up 4 teeth.
Looks like the chain guide would not fit. Saw here a post with a link to an adaptor to let it fit larger chainring. Got to love this Forum!!
Also would I have to add links to the chain?
I am looking for either the 36 or 38 tooth SRAM X-Sync Eagle, 104 BCD to replace the 34 tooth that comes on the bike.
Thanks for any help!

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I have just mounted this SRAM 38T chainring on my 2022
Tight fit at chainstay - But no problems for the first 100 miles
I find that I - as hoped - use the "midle gears" more

Have ordered this guide - But I haven't received it yet...

(Not my Levo)

Chainguide.jpg

Last edited:

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
With the 38t SRAM chainring the space is used...but works ok for the some 200 miles now
Sorry pic with dirty bike at the trail :cool:

Chainring38T.jpg
Chainring 38T.jpg

Last edited:

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Is the stock 34T steel chainring threaded? I want to upgrade to a 36T and use the factory bolts hardware. I expect that the stock chain length will work just fine.

Last edited:

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
Just yesterday finished swapping out the 34T SRAM chainring for the Sram 38T on my newly acquired 2022 S-Works.
Happy to report that after a 25 mile test run all functioned perfectly. Original chain was retained with no issues.
With the change I am now using a bigger spread of my 12 speeds whereas previously mostly using bottom 3 lowest cogs.
Mostly more or less flat terrain.
I read here that it was possible to remove the original chainring without removing the crank. In the end I removed the crank and the spider as I could not for the life of me get the chainring over the spider.
Other than that a good swap out which will suit my uses of this amazing bike.
The space between the tip of the teeth and the chain stay measures at best 4mm so close but I don't see it being an issue. The little chain guard had to be removed but I will probably get the adaptor pieces that has been mentioned on this thread. Attached a couple of closeups to show clearence.

IMG_8366.JPG

IMG_8367.JPG

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
Nice! I’m trying to get a SRAM 36 tooth direct replacement, but having trouble finding the chainring.
I know! Searched all over and found mostly the 38T, at about $20. Did find the 36T (can't recall which site, sorry) and it was around $80. Passed on it as I thought the 38T would give me what I needed. I am glad to have gone with the 38T as it is not that big of a difference then the stock 34T and I think the 36T would not be significant enough to warrant the change.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
I know! Searched all over and found mostly the 38T, at about $20. Did find the 36T (can't recall which site, sorry) and it was around $80. Passed on it as I thought the 38T would give me what I needed. I am glad to have gone with the 38T as it is not that big of a difference then the stock 34T and I think the 36T would not be significant enough to warrant the change.

Are the stock 34T and the new 38T SRAM both threaded? If I swapped to an aluminum chainring it is not threaded and would require new hardware.

Last edited:

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
Are the stock 34T and the new 38T SRAM both threaded? If I swapped to an aluminum chainring it is not threaded and would require new hardware.
Neither are threaded. I just used the same ones I removed when taking off the 34T.
It is a special thru-bolt that mates up with the spiders hole and then torqued into a special nut, sandwiching the spider.
Just now checked and it looks like Excel Sports has the 36 back in stock at $58. Link below:

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Neither are threaded. I just used the same ones I removed when taking off the 34T.
It is a special thru-bolt that mates up with the spiders hole and then torqued into a special nut, sandwiching the spider.
Just now checked and it looks like Excel Sports has the 36 back in stock at $58. Link below:

Thanks. I think that link with the 36t is an aluminum chainring vs the steel chainring you are running in a 38t. Sent a message to SRAM to see if the 36t in steel is available and asked for a part #. We will see. Otherwise going to go with the 38t same as you.

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
Pretty sure that it is steel. The 34T that was on the bike is steel and was very similar in weight, feel and finish as the 38T.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Has anyone with a 2022 successfully swapped the chainring without removing the crank and spider? Reached about to a couple of you and have received response that you had to remove the crank and spider.

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
Has anyone with a 2022 successfully swapped the chainring without removing the crank and spider? Reached about to a couple of you and have received response that you had to remove the crank and spider.
you just need to remove the crank arm and chain guide. Nothing else

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
I think the dicussion about the stock one is wrong. Stock is 32 😉

Edit: Sorry guys s works and pro 34 expert and comp 32 🙈

Last edited:

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
you just need to remove the crank arm and chain guide. Nothing else
I consider myself a good mechanic and problem solver but for the life of me I could not fit the Eagle 34T chainring over the spider on my 2022 carbon Levo. Had to remove the spider lock nut and remove spider. I really patiently tried every possible position with no luck.
If anyone here would care to explain, and maybe with a pic or two, I'd like to see this.
I mention my model year and carbon as maybe it is slightly different than alloy.

Last edited:

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
I think the dicussion about the stock one is wrong. Stock is 32 😉

Edit: Sorry guys s works and pro 34 expert and comp 32 🙈

I have a 2022 Expert and stock is a SRAM X-Sync2 Eagle 34 tooth The Specialized online spec sheet says 32 tooth is stock, but that is not accurate.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I consider myself a good mechanic and problem solver but for the life of me I could not fit the Eagle 34T chainring over the spider on my 2022 carbon Levo. Had to remove the spider lock nut and remove spider. I really patiently tried every possible position with no luck.
If anyone here would care to explain, and maybe with a pic or two, I'd like to see this.
I mention my model year and carbon as maybe it is slightly different than alloy.
This trick worked on my Gen1 Levo
But not on my Gen3 S-Works
Had to do the above mentioned procedure ⚠

Last edited:

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
2022 S-Works comes standard with a SRAM X-Sync Eagle, 104 BCD, 34T, steel. Perhaps other models have a different chainring and/or spider?

Did you only read the first line of my post?

Your request is from today.

I've edited it after 5 min yesterday when i saw that sworks and Pro come with a 34 and from expert below it is only 32

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
SRAM Rider Support confirmed that the X-Sync 2 Eagle 104BCD Steel chainring only comes in 32, 34, and 38 tooth. They do not make a 36 tooth steel. However, they do offer a 36 tooth chainring in aluminum.

I prefer the steel chainring and ordered the 38 tooth.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
SRAM Rider Support confirmed that the X-Sync 2 Eagle 104BCD Steel chainring only comes in 32, 34, and 38 tooth. They do not make a 36 tooth steel. However, they do offer a 36 tooth chainring in aluminum.

I prefer the steel chainring and ordered the 38 tooth.
Why you prefer steel ? It's so heavy compared to alu chainring

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Why you prefer steel ? It's so heavy compared to alu chainring

For an eMTB, steel is more resistant to wear from the drivetrain being under higher torque. Longer life out of the steel chainring. I’m sure aluminum would be fine, but the steel chainring was $18 USD shipped and the aluminum chainring was $$60 USD shipped.

I went with the SRAM X-Sync 2 Eagle 38t Steel chainring. If I find that it’s more gearing than I needed, then I’ll by the 36t aluminum.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles