Levo Gen 3 Larger chainring on 2022 Turbo Levo?

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Did you find an answer to this? Interested to know if you are able to run a direct mount oval.
When using oval chainring the oval needs to be in a exact position of the pedal.
As you can backpedal and the motor can run a short while after pedaling this position change all the time.
So ovals do not make sense with eMTBs 😇

Oval.jpg

pocii

Apr 9, 2022
Germany
Hey guys! I receive my Levo Comp Carbon in a few days.
Question, I've be advised to go w/a 36T chainring.

I'm not a fan of the spyder/extra pieces bolts so want to go with a direct mount chainring if possible, which I think it is??!?!

Questions :
- Can I run a direct mount chainring
- Is it a 3mm boost Sram offset? - absoluteBLACK | SRAM OVAL BOOST direct mount traction chainring 1X
- I run oval on my analog bikes so I assume it won't hurt the motor of the e-bike?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to ripping/owning my first e-bike
you could only use a direct mount chainring for Brose...such this one

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I do Hi i have now 38T chainring in take now more the middle of the cassette. and on the plane he goes very fast 😀

View attachment 105887
I see your ring gear was mounted on the outside of the spider instead of the inside like stock. That certainly buys you distance out which is what I was saying would help me fit the 38T (mine didn't fit). The mounting surface on that side of the spider isnt flat though. Does anyone else have any concerns with moving it to the outboard side? I'm wondering if you have issues shifting into the lowest couple of gears.

Cormo

Jan 18, 2023
Nederland
hello i have no problem at all. I've been driving it for two weeks now, everything is going perfectly. And as for the plane placed on the spider of the chainring is also perfect because the outside is slightly flattened.

brunsje

Nov 20, 2022
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Hi All,

Seems the challenge is the 52mm Chainline.
How much positive offset can we add without backpedaling in the 52 tooth cog causes the chain to be unstable and fall off?
Next, who makes a spacer of the appropriate size to install a 38mm chainring?
I have searched for Brose Motor info on the above items and have not found any answers yet.

Thanks for reading, JohnnyB

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
There are usually flats milled into the spider to allow the chainring to sit flat. In this case the chainring may be bolted to a non-flat area of the spider which may (or may not) cause the bolts to have an uneven pressure on the parts. In the end if it works then it is ok. ;)

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
My 2020 Carbon Expert came with a 40T chainring, or at least that’s what it states in the specs. I’m going to count them someday, as I’ve never heard anyone else say they have 40T. I’m wondering if it’s a typo?

I’m about to fit SRAM GX AXS and the bike shop said I should be fine with using the existing chainring.

Tadmcmichael

Feb 27, 2023
Georgia
Can anyone confirm that the chain guide adapter works with a 2022 Carbon Levo? I went to the site but he says it doesn’t work with most 2022.

IOUZIP

Jun 8, 2022
USA
Yes the 36T chainring works but the chain guide takes a bit of work and a dremel tool to make it fit. Else just reinstall the bolt and go without.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
Can anyone advise as to what is the correct chain length when running a 36t chainring? I was on 118 links with the 34t as per standard, but wondering if it needs to go 2 links more plus the snap link.
Bikes a 2022 levo turbo pro.

Chocolatelegs

Sep 8, 2023
Uk
Can anyone advise as to what is the correct chain length when running a 36t chainring? I was on 118 links with the 34t as per standard, but wondering if it needs to go 2 links more plus the snap link.
After reading I believe the standard 118 links is fine in high position with the 36T. How did you get on ?

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
On my carbon 2022 Turbo Levo I went from the stock 34T to a 38T. After reading quite a few posts that said it could be done and that the clearances were tight and the 34T chain length would work ok.
The clearance was tight but after more than a year of riding it has never touched the frame or been an issue.
However, not adding links to the chain resulted in a broken chain after a few rides in. After speaking with a tech advisor at SRAM who said it was absurd to think adding size to a chainring would not necessitate adding links to the chain. So on a new chain I added 4 links and have not had a problem since.
BTW, just as an explanation why I chose a 38T is that I do not ride in the traditional way a MTB normally would. I am a senior citizen and my days of jumps and radical maneuvers are in the past. I ride mostly on paved bike paths and an occasional single track. I do cover a lot of distance so the gear range of the 38 allows me to use more of the range then the 34T would.
And the full suspension helps smooth the ride for which my ol' bones surely appreciate!

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
I added 2 more links and since fitting at 36t along with new cassette and chain, the gear changes have been flawless. EVER since new the bike has never changed gear correctly, either a delay on upshift or downshift.
Everything was checked I even bought a parktool derailleur hanger alignment tool, but still it didn't rectify it. I've since started using hot melt chain wax too, the difference is night and day. It's far superior to wet lube.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles