Levo Gen 3 Larger chainring on 2022 Turbo Levo?

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Mounted up the SRAM X-Sync2 38t Steel chain ring today. It’s so close to the frame at the chainstay that the teeth touch my invisiframe wrap. Too close for comfort.

I pulled it and going to install a SRAM X-Sync2 36t Aluminum chain ring instead.

42ECD4E4-35F2-4ACB-AE25-61F089F14DB0.jpeg

320A95D8-E317-499A-B266-B327BF222B9D.jpeg

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
Sorry to hear that. Mine has about 3 or 4mm clearance, close but certainly not touching anything. And the other folks here have said pretty much the same.
I did notice that once your weight is on the bike the clearance opens up to 1/2" or so. Might it have something to do with how much your shock is pumped up ?

Damn, must be disappointing after all that work to set up for changing out. Hope the 36T does what you're looking for. Keep us posted.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Sorry to hear that. Mine has about 3 or 4mm clearance, close but certainly not touching anything. And the other folks here have said pretty much the same.
I did notice that once your weight is on the bike the clearance opens up to 1/2" or so. Might it have something to do with how much your shock is pumped up ?

Damn, must be disappointing after all that work to set up for changing out. Hope the 36T does what you're looking for. Keep us posted.

The chainring only touches the swing arm when the suspension is at full droop. When the bike has weight on it, I agree there is more clearance. Anytime the rear wheel comes off the ground could result in the chainring digging into my frame. So ordered the 36t.

Last edited:

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
The chainring only touches the swing arm when the suspension is at full droop. When the bike has weight on it, I agree there is more clearance. Anytime the rear wheel comes off the ground could result in the chainring digging into my frame. So ordered the 36t.
I'm very sorry to hear that - I have done more miles with my 38t - No problems at all and clearance is still ok
I hope You will enjoy your 36t 🤘

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Interesting, never thought about that. My frame is the carbon S6, the biggest they make.
That’s likely the reason the 38t worked for your frame and not mine. My frame is an carbon S4. Installed the 36t today and it’s a great fit. Also modified the stock chain guide to work by trimming the back plate with a dremel.

Last edited:

dsd1036

Aug 28, 2019
Surrey
Mounted up the SRAM X-Sync2 38t Steel chain ring today. It’s so close to the frame at the chainstay that the teeth touch my invisiframe wrap. Too close for comfort.

I pulled it and going to install a SRAM X-Sync2 36t Aluminum chain ring instead.

View attachment 83300
View attachment 83301

View attachment 83300
View attachment 83301
I too have this problem, fitted the Sram 38T steel to my 2022 Levo Comp Carbon S4 and with no weight on it catches with zero clearance so gone back to 36T Hope Aluminium one, fits fine has clearance was just hoping to get a bit more use of the mid range gears instead of the top 3! Never mind :)

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
I too have this problem, fitted the Sram 38T steel to my 2022 Levo Comp Carbon S4 and with no weight on it catches with zero clearance so gone back to 36T Hope Aluminium one, fits fine has clearance was just hoping to get a bit more use of the mid range gears instead of the top 3! Never mind :)
With no weight on the suspension, it barely catches...just brushes the frame wrap. My concern is anytime you hit a jump and the rear triangle quickly extends the chainring could start digging in to the frame. I have a few rides with the 36t and saw some improvement over the stock 34t on my Expert S4.

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
With the 38T I can use the mid range gears more now, but I am wondering if I wanted to gear up any further what, if any, options I might have.
I mostly ride bike paths and some single track but do not do any jumps or extreme mtb'ing. Left all that behind me now, too old for that now. Basically bought this hi-end machine to enjoy its design, engineering, and technology and to continue riding my 2 to 3 thousand miles a year around the coastal areas of San Diego.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
With the 38T I can use the mid range gears more now, but I am wondering if I wanted to gear up any further what, if any, options I might have.
I mostly ride bike paths and some single track but do not do any jumps or extreme mtb'ing. Left all that behind me now, too old for that now. Basically bought this hi-end machine to enjoy its design, engineering, and technology and to continue riding my 2 to 3 thousand miles a year around the coastal areas of San Diego.
Explore changing the rear cassette. A few threads that talk about gearing options on this forum.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL

That is about what I ride, bike paths, dirt trails... no rock gardens or jumps. I bought the Levo SL because the trails can be bumpy and I hoped the suspension would smooth out some of the bumps (it does). I swapped the 30T chainring for a 34T and later the 11-50 cassette for 11-32 (at a good bit of $$ and effort).

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
Just a follow up on this topic.
I installed the 38t chainring on my 2022 S-Works Levo. I retained the chain that was delivered on the bike new with the 34t chainring as I read here that some users found that to work out ok. A couple of days ago I broke the chain coming from a stop on level ground. Pulled a pin out of the plates. I spoke with a very helpful tech support at SRAM and he said that by no means can one go from a 34t to a 38t chainring without sizing a new chain to it. It was occasionally shifting a bit less smoothly.
So old chain out with only 300 miles on it and new (expensive) chain sized properly and readjusting everything all is good again.
I was thinking of keeping the old chain as a backup if needed but it would wind up having 3 connector links to get it up to spec, and from what I've heard this is not a good idea.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Has anyone had issues hitting the speed limiter early with a larger chainring? I went to a 36T and this is happening to me. 2022 Levo
It should not make any different - the speed is measured at the rear wheel - I have a 38T on my Gen3 - Same cut off speed.

SD_Levo

Jul 21, 2022
San Diego, CA
Has anyone tried a 38T on the 2022+ Gen3 Levo ALLOY?

The clearances on the Gen3 with 38T Carbon frames seem super tight so it has me thinking the tolerances on the alloy could be even tighter (or not) on the every so slightly different alloy rear triangle.

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I come bearing sad news. I tried the 38t on my 22 Levo Alloy Comp tonight and it did NOT fit at all. I guess I'm ordering a 36t. :( I can't seem to find the sram x-sync 2 36t in stock anywhere. I saw some had the raceface gear above. I'm not excited about aluminum, but it's all I can find. Is there a "best" one to get since I can't find sram?

The good news is that at least I got the 34t off without removing the spider. I totally see why some people are having problems doing that. At first I was thinking there was no way it was coming off that way, but after some tinkering it finally went. The best I can come up with for hints to help... Lets call the bolt attachments arms... you have to push the ring gear all the way as one way, I'm pretty sure I had it pushed forward. Then line up two of the "arms" at the same time with the "corners" of the gear. Best I can tell, mess with making that work, because until you get two arms through at the same time, you're not going any farther.

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
Has anyone tried a 38T on the 2022+ Gen3 Levo ALLOY?

The clearances on the Gen3 with 38T Carbon frames seem super tight so it has me thinking the tolerances on the alloy could be even tighter (or not) on the every so slightly different alloy rear triangle.
You are right, the clearances on the 2022 carbon frame with the 38t chainring is quite tight at around 5mm. But as soon as your seated it will expand the distance quite a bit. I haven't had any issues with it but then again I do not ride trails or do jumps, gotten too old for that! But the gear range now is much better suited for me.

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I'm pretty bummed that I can't fit the 38t. I looked for a casette that would let me have a 9 tooth on the casette but it doesn't look like sram makes one. Can I get a spider that moves the front ring out a little? I don't use 1-6 ever anyway.

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
Since people were talking about how frame size might make a difference... Anyone know if a 38T would work on an 2022 alloy S2?
I'm not sure what geometry dimensions between frame sizes would make the difference.

Edit, never mind, that has been answered, it sounds like.

How significant is a jump from 34 to 36t? In FEEL? 34/36x100 percent?

Last edited:

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
Since people were talking about how frame size might make a difference... Anyone know if a 38T would work on an 2022 alloy S2?
I'm not sure what geometry dimensions between frame sizes would make the difference.

Edit, never mind, that has been answered, it sounds like.

How significant is a jump from 34 to 36t? In FEEL? 34/36x100 percent?
Your absolutely spot on with your thoughts here. I have both the 34t I took off and a 38t that didn't fit, as well as the 36t on the bike. I'll get some measurements from the 3 and it should enable people to have a better guess as to what will fit based on the room left on what they have. It might take me a day or three to remember, but I will eventually. LOL I'll post what I find here.

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
If it is of any use, thought I'd add that on my 2022 S6 carbon I was able to use the 38t chainring. There is about 1/4" clearance when I am off the bike and expand to 1/2" or more when riding.
It sure makes the ratio of gears better for my type of riding.
Almost 1000 miles on it already with no problems, but it should be noted that I do not do any jumps or heavy trail riding, mostly bike paths and single tracks. I weigh 190lbs, 6'7" tall. And love the bike!

dangeruss

Nov 8, 2022
St. Petersburg FL
Hey guys! I receive my Levo Comp Carbon in a few days.
Question, I've be advised to go w/a 36T chainring.

I'm not a fan of the spyder/extra pieces bolts so want to go with a direct mount chainring if possible, which I think it is??!?!

Questions :
- Can I run a direct mount chainring
- Is it a 3mm boost Sram offset? - absoluteBLACK | SRAM OVAL BOOST direct mount traction chainring 1X
- I run oval on my analog bikes so I assume it won't hurt the motor of the e-bike?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to ripping/owning my first e-bike

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego

I'm not a fan of the spyder/extra pieces bolts so want to go with a direct mount chainring if possible, which I think it is??!?!

Questions :
- Is it a 3mm boost Sram offset? - absoluteBLACK | SRAM OVAL BOOST direct mount traction chainring 1X
- I run oval on my analog bikes so I assume it won't hurt the motor of the e-bike?

Did you find an answer to this? Interested to know if you are able to run a direct mount oval.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Did you find an answer to this? Interested to know if you are able to run a direct mount oval.

Questions :

Oval Chainrings are not for mid-motor eBikes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles