Knee/Elbow Pads - User Habits not Which Ones

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
To those that wear knee and/or elbow pads... and i guess this comes from a position of general riding rather than anything extreme or DH focused.

Do you wear knees/elbows or both, and how/why did you choose one or the other if you don't wear both?

Curious that's all. Lot's riders on Youtube vids just seem to wear knee pads.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Both. Lot of protection for my knees, lighter sleeve for my elbows. Only have to work once.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sheeet ... I thought when you said "habits" this was going to be a crazy thread about Nuns on e-bikes ! With similar comments to the Cannonball run and Sammy Davis Junior's "Why does a Priest need a Ferrari ?" ... SDJ - "In a Ferrari, I can do gods work faster" (it was something like that anyway).

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think people fall into various categories ..

There will be newby's who "gear up", and look like Robocop as I was described at the weekend... And probably buy a lot of stuff at the start just because they don't want to get hurt, have old experiences skateboarding or things, or just want it as part of their "uniform" ?! ..

Others who add over time based on their "experiences" ..

There are lots of people out there who don't crash much, and if they do, they land on their feet, or know how to move to avoid injury - they're just more capable ! So a lot of those guys will wear nothing or just knee pads .

Others are gods, but then have some nasty moments and are willing to sacrifice some faffing about to at least wear knee pads ..

I think knees take the most hits in unpredictable falls and unfortunate incidents, like knee to the bars, trees, rocks and are the impact point which is most likely to "hobble" you either on the day or leading to a longer injury/downtime.

I started out in work trousers with knee pads in. Then after a lack of ability resulted in lots of accidents and eventually a fractured pelvis, I bought a fox titan copy to try out - this has elbows upper arms, shoulders, back, chest protection. As the year progressed it became too hot for work trousers, so I added knee pads to go with shorts. After having to tearfully, like a small girl, stitch my shin back together trail side, I added shin guards (should have carried a roll of duct tape) .. So now 99% of my rides, I'm knee pads, shin guards, and upper body troy lee 7855.

I am crap though and invariably ride way beyond my abilities (my first attempt at a none fire road MTB was a black and quite painful :) ) So it would be dumb not to dress for a : my abilities , b : my mindset.

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Thanks all so far.

So knee pads are coming out as the ones to wear if nothing else... I must admit, in my head, all I can foresee is my front wheel washing out and going down on my arm, and this is skewing my view I think.

I can't see me being bothered with both all the time. I rarely fall off, despite riding quite tech terrain at times. After a string of previous injuries I've calmed down a lot. Maybe that is my armour!!

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
I guess another view is what mood you're in, Vs who you're with and what/where you're riding. A solo XC ride is likely to be made safer by knowing you're on your own, so playing it safer, Vs a full on battery-mashing with friends at a trail centre.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I recently purchased the Troy Lee speed sleeve knee protection. I wanted something lightweight that easily fitted in my Camelbak for the ride up and would be comfy to pedal in. Normally I don't wear knee or elbow guards unless it's a lift-access day, in which case I'm fully armoured up. Our local hills are pretty steep, rocky, rooty and slippery. The e-mtb means loads more runs and having knee guards that are comfy to pedal in and clipping the chin guard onto the Super3 instills a bit more confidence.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Knee pads every ride, without fail. Which ones I wear depends on what my riding plans are.
I’m currently also wearing football shin guards while I get used to flats.
I have elbow pads but they don’t stay in place so I rarely wear them.

Fox Titan for park days.

Enduro lid for most rides. Full face for rides with @Dax...

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Helmet,gloves,knee,elbow and g form shin pads every trail ride,if I go to BPW or stile cop etc then my spine vest comes in,the spine vest is a recent edition after breaking t5 and three ribs 2 years ago?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Knee pads every ride, without fail. Which ones I wear depends on what my riding plans are.
I’m currently also wearing football shin guards while I get used to flats.
I have elbow pads but they don’t stay in place so I rarely wear them.

Fox Titan for park days.

Enduro lid for most rides. Full face for rides with @Dax...
Nothing wrong with shin pads buddy,I’ve got some gform ones and you don’t even notice them on but it surprises me why they are a rare sight in the shops and on the trails.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wear knee pads for all rides, and if doing anything technical or riding somewhere new I always where my back protector. I have never got on with any elbow pads so never use them.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Full face for rides with @Dax...

Is that so no one can tell it's you when he keeps stopping to put a shelf up or paint some leaves ?

Dax's heavily modified WorKenevo ...

workevo.jpg

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’m mainly trail riding, but with some downhill in there too. Nothing too severe though!

I wear knee / shin pads (one piece) all of the time - in fact I have a new pair of Race Face Flank ones arriving today (had the best reviews) to replace my stinky 661 ones!
I wear these to prevent pedal strikes, and protect my exposed bits from bushes etc. They also give me more confidence.
In winter, I’m a bit more cautious with the muddy wet conditions of Scotland.

In summer, I ride faster and harder - and wear elbow pads too.
I visit the same local trails most of the time, and generally dress to suit what I’m going to be doing. The level of danger depends on which helmet I wear, or whether I’m going to wear elbow pads!

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Nothing, other than an open-face lid.

BUT I have decided this is stupid. Pads are comfy enough to wear all the time.

What I don't get is why knee pads are most popular. 90% of my nasty falls either ding my elbow/arm or arse/thigh areas. Maybe just lucky, but my knees are usually not a problem.

So, 2019 black friday purchases of knee, elbow pads, which I haven't had cause to wear yet. And I'm on the lookout for armoured (under) shorts. Possibly FF lid too...

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
It's ribs and wrists that I seem to be cracking most. Not entirely sure how body armour would improve the situation. I reckon my ribs would still be taking the same pasting :cry:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's ribs and wrists that I seem to be cracking most. Not entirely sure how body armour would improve the situation. I reckon my ribs would still be taking the same pasting :cry:

I think if I'd had my Fox Titan on when I broke a rib this time last year, I'd have been ok. Difficult to say for sure as I've not had a similar one sided right of way argument with such a large tree since. It would be nice to think the troy lee would also have stopped it .. but for that particular impact I think the fox would have been better.

Wrists .. uhm.... probably more a mix of technique ?! and luck ? (or lack of luck) ..

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
I've got the fox knee pads. Very comfortable, to the the point that I forgot I had them on & drove home in them 2 weeks ago hahaha. When I rode MX bikes, I always used to rely on my MX jeans stopping the scrapes and friction burns, until some dozy twonk hit me head on & his kickstart went under my knee cap & destroyed my ACL etc. Since then, anything on 2 wheels has me dashing for the protection gear, whether I look like a twat or not hahaha.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Gform knee pads always. Never wear elbow pads. Leatt d30 s/s vest and shorts always. Maybe due to other sports I do I instictively roll if I crash so have never hurt arms wrists or hands.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I had lightweight pads until I had a fairly low speed crash on a gravelly bank. Took all the skin off my knees. Pad pulled straight off. Couldn't ride for over a month.

Bought these and always wear them now : IXS Cleaver Knee-Shin Pads 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles

They are heavy duty, but so are some of my crashes. I've had crashes since when the pads ended up packed with mud, so I'm assuming they are doing their job.

I'd suggest trying some knee pads on. Then try pulling them down your leg. If it pulls down, then that's what will happen in a crash. They need to fit right, and resist being pulled down. I think the shin guard bit helps with that.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Hell, I can crash with the best .... and have the x-rays to prove it.

Don't wear pads though, except for the time 12 years ago when I was the first down a newly built track & I wore my MX helmet & cheat-protector/shoulder pads as well as shin/knee pads and a borrowed set from a kid on my elbows. To be fair though, never really used pads when I was a pro MXer except when governing bodies brought in rules about having to wear them, but would use a simple chest protector when on the 500's or a really rocky track.

Since I am an old fart now I am only riding tracks graded 2-4 with the occasional jaunt down a grade 5 I am not too fussed.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

Knee pads and spinal protection reduces the risk of a ride stopping injury - the sort of event that involves an uncomfortable carry me out of here experience. Non negotiable protection imho.

Elbow pads are barely noticed whilst riding yet reduce the risk of an annoying injury - peeled back forearms rake weeks to heal. They also encourage tuck and roll fall techniques which seems to reduce wrist injuries .Plus they're sun protection. Most of the time gear for me.

Protecting ribs , wrists , and shoulders is more challenging - you have to weigh the reduced agility / increased risk of having a crash vs the potential benefit from the armour. I'd love to hear a convincing argument, but I can't get enthusiastic about any of the sauna suits out there. Zimm - you mention a right of way tree negotiation - I guess I'd be concerned about the sweat suit spreading the load and fracturing multiple ribs rather than just a couple? A brocken rib is inconvenient, but a flail chest with punctured lung gets a chopper flight . Perhaps it's more about selecting WHERE the ribs break? The further forward the better - less numb chest wall from intercostal nerve damage? I really miss a good back scratch....

I'd love a decent, well ventilated chest, spine and shoulder defence suit - especially if it integrated neck protection. But it might be easier to squeeze myself into a hot cupboard and watch youtube videos whilst the kids throw things at me?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles