knee and elbow protection

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I´m looking for knee and elbow protection . They should be confortable / suitable for long rides and pedaling . Not intended for "hard core" use (kind of trail riding) !
Maybe in the line Leatt airflex pro or the Fox Enduro Pro or D30.
Any experience/recomendations?
Tks in advanced.

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany

Best i ever had, so comfy.
And i had a highspeed touchdown on a fist great rock with my knee and everthing was fine.

Last edited:

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA

Best i ever had, so comfy.
And i had a highspeed touchdown on a fist great rock with my knee an everthing was fine.
I second this. Best combo of protection to comfort I have experienced. Also like the POC VPD System knee for comfort, but Sam Hill if more protection is needed.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'll third this.

Having tried lots. The Sam hill Knee is light, unobtrusive (once you've worn it a couple of times and the plastic's heat formed to you), comfortable and VERY effective. My one armoured body part which has somehow avoided injury when wearing the Sam Hill.

I recently went through the exercise of trying to find a replacement as mine are a bit ripped at the back .. eventually settled on another pair of the same.

Elbows, I generally wear intrinsic to upper body armour, but when not I have some Leatt 5.0's. They're good, but when you're really going for it you notice the extra weight with the reactive type armour and it feels like you have some flabby arm thing going on.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I second this. Best combo of protection to comfort I have experienced. Also like the POC VPD System knee for comfort, but Sam Hill if more protection is needed.

They provide more protection than the poc? I've got the vpd 2.0 DH knee/shin pad, they are absolutely bomb proof and great for uplift tracks but not keen on wearing them for 2+ hrs cycling.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I have the 7idp Project knee pads and they’re very good. Comfortable and good protection. Nothing like as bulky as I was expecting, they were all I could get last year. Have heard nothing but good about the Sam Hill version but not tried.

Crrichmo

Feb 22, 2021
San Diego, CA
They provide more protection than the poc? I've got the vpd 2.0 DH knee/shin pad, they are absolutely bomb proof and great for uplift tracks but not keen on wearing them for 2+ hrs cycling.
More protection than the VPD system knee pad, which is a different pad. The VPD 2.0 is beefier. I have those too. Great pads, but not as pedal friendly as you mention.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I´m looking for knee and elbow protection . They should be confortable / suitable for long rides and pedaling . Not intended for "hard core" use (kind of trail riding) !
Tks in advanced.
Second season with those Leatt knee pads. No complaints.
Durable and comfortable, fits under long pants (UK: Trousers) and does not sweat too much.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I dont wear elbow pads..........never hurt my elbow in any of my crashes!!
With knee pads I dont think anything rated as "light" is worth wearing. The knee is far too easy to damage even in the most innocuous crash.
I use Leatt 3DF 5 Zip. They look a little bulky but then anything worth wearing is going to have some bulk....and they are very comfortable even on long rides . I find them much more comfortable than the sleeve type which are either too tight or keep falling down...........after all the calf and thigh muscle change shape and size when being used!! Being able to put them on and take them off without taking my shoes off is much more convenient as well. "One day all knee pads will be made this way"!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Fox Launch Pro’s here both knee and elbow. i regularly wear them for 3+ hour rides and downhill, plus sitting in the pub afterwards.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Happy with my IXS zip pads. Definately work and comfortable for all day riding. Have the advantage that on a huge climb they can be removed easily for heat management.

Gordon

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
One thing to remember with the Sam Hill pads. They form up with body heat so sometimes when you first put them on they can feel slightly rigid.

If you're going riding somewhere in a vehicle, make sure they're not left in the back of a van in 0c before a ride for a period as they go really stiff then and are uncomfortable when you put them on !

Gilbo

Nov 16, 2022
Isle of man
Tks in advanced.
Alpinestars stuff every time.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I am using soft shin guards and TLD soft knee pads. I am hoping I don’t need them again. My left shin was SEVERLY injured last year. Tore everything to the bone.

BDAC068D-F861-4211-AE59-DCC423B409B5.jpeg 5D99AAC8-69F4-4332-A1F4-DBDFFD604915.png 07C7B97E-6432-47A8-BC05-0B657CE9B2FF.jpeg 64594BA5-068E-4FAE-A26D-F097E39E5818.png

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
For me, POC VPD 2.0 for elbows, Leatt 3DF 6.0 for knees as they have the flexible outer shell for a little more protection. Been really happy with both, don't notice either after 15 mins. I actually wanted the Fox Launch Pro D3O or the knees but couldn't find them anywhere at the time. The Leatts are the nearest thing I could find and having compared them with a buddies Fox since, they are indeed very similar.

Yes all are 'slip on' so you need to remove/refit shoes for the knees but none of the pads have ever slipped once on and I like the lack of bulk compared to more hardcore protection. Of course, theres times and places for more industrial gear.

Gilbo

Nov 16, 2022
Isle of man
Hi
I’ve always used Alpinestars paragon Knee and elbow pads. Loads of sizes get the right 1 and you will not know you have um on. Can wash the whole thing without dismantling and not expensive (eBay).

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Troy Lee Raid Knee pads for me

Eitehr Troy Lee Speedpad or Fox Enduro Elbow Pads

Alos have a Troy Lee chest and back protector shirt and a Fox Motorcross top, which I have cut so it only uses the shoulder pads

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles