Knee and elbow pads

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
what are the BEST knee and elbow pads? I keep getting banged up in those spots and at 60 I think it's time to be a little pro-active!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
That's very much subject to personal preference, but I'm a fan of Leatt 3DF 5.0 elbow pads and POC VPD 2.0 knee pads.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
So many options here.
Depends on a lot of factors of where and how you ride.
Riding climate, hot, cold, wet, or dry ?
Riding duration and distance?
Easy to take off or put on with shoes on ?
XC riding or knarly downhill ?

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
So many options here.
Depends on a lot of factors of where and how you ride.
Riding climate, hot, cold, wet, or dry ?
Riding duration and distance?
Easy to take off or put on with shoes on ?
XC riding or knarly downhill ?

trail riding, with some rocks, average 10mph, typically riding about 15 miles a night.... tend to go over the bars with some regularity which predicates this question. I live in Delaware, so the full gamut of weather.... not too worried about the shoe issue, would prefer that they stay in place and are relatively comfortable.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
trail riding, with some rocks, average 10mph, typically riding about 15 miles a night.... tend to go over the bars with some regularity which predicates this question. I live in Delaware, so the full gamut of weather.... not too worried about the shoe issue, would prefer that they stay in place and are relatively comfortable.
Personally I wear Leatt Airflex Pro which are very well ventilated as it can get to 100 F here and doesn’t go much below 70 F.
You are in a much cooler climate and riding rocky areas so something with a plastic hard shell may be more suited, but these can get bulky. It’s a fine line between comfort and being able to pedal in the things and having enough protection. Mine have served me well for scrapes and grazes, and slightly less for impact at the speeds you are talking. It they come up against real sharp rocks then they may get torn or ripped through. Some protection is better than nothing, but you got to feel comfortable and be able to pedal in them or you won’t wear them when you need to.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Personally I wear Leatt Airflex Pro which are very well ventilated as it can get to 100 F here and doesn’t go much below 70 F.
You are in a much cooler climate and riding rocky areas so something with a plastic hard shell may be more suited, but these can get bulky. It’s a fine line between comfort and being able to pedal in the things and having enough protection. Mine have served me well for scrapes and grazes, and slightly less for impact at the speeds you are talking. It they come up against real sharp rocks then they may get torn or ripped through. Some protection is better than nothing, but you got to feel comfortable and be able to pedal in them or you won’t wear them when you need to.
If they get torn or ripped instead of me, they have done their job!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I prefer the VPD 2.0's and the Leatt 5.0's because they *aren't* hard shell. I find those too restrictive and can actually add to fatigue on a long ride. YMMV.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles