Just can’t stop

Jonnyash

Aug 19, 2018
Hayling island
Hey guys, I just can’t stop riding my bike, been up and down my local trails every day since my purchase haha.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if it’s best to go tubeless?, if so what kits best

What chain lube is best to use and how often to apply.

Also was wondering what brake pads are best to use, Iv not gone through a set yet, was purely curios haha. Sorry for all the questions, Iv been out of this sport for way to long ??‍♂️

Jon

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I was the same way when I got mine!
Kept finding more time to ride that I was neglecting everything else.

I use E*13 sealant or effeto mariposa

Chain lube depends on your riding conditions

Brakes pads, I’d have to know what brakes you have and what your riding style and riding conditions are.

Jonnyash

Aug 19, 2018
Hayling island
I was the same way when I got mine!
Kept finding more time to ride that I was neglecting everything else.

I use E*13 sealant or effeto mariposa

Chain lube depends on your riding conditions

Brakes pads, I’d have to know what brakes you have and what your riding style and riding conditions are.

Thanks for reply buddy

So tubeless is the way to go yer ? Would you still need to carry a spare inertube ?

Mainly be riding dirt and gravel tracks and some down hill muddy sections

Iv got the Kenevo expert which are SRAM through out I think lol, I feel i spend a lot of time on the brakes on descents as I’m waiting for my Ball to grow haha, I must admit I’m shocked at how quick you gain speed on these bikes lol, do they have a brake pad wear light that comes on anywhere ?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I use Dumonde Tech PRO X Lite Formula on my chain.
I don’t have Code brakes on my Kenevo anymore and I just used the stock ones.
I don’t carry a tube because I don’t get flats

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Tubeless is the way to go - no flats anymore if you don't totally murder your tyres and slice them open ^^

I would recommend to carry a tubeless-repair set (those little "gluey rubber-worms", no clue how they are named correctly) which helps on holes that are to big for the sealant.

For long rides in the swiss alps i do carry a spare tube in my backpack. Those sniper-ninja-rocks up there are pretty sharp and you never know.

Chain lube basically depends on your riding conditions - i use "Muc-Off dry lube" for dry conditions and the wet lube for wet conditions. Got it recommended from my lbs and found nothing bad with it, so i'm sticking to it.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
be careful of the milkit valves, first off they are no use if you intend to use any insert and second, one of mine only lasted a day, before it tore itself apart inside the wheel. it was only hand tight.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Tubeless is the way to go - no flats anymore if you don't totally murder your tyres and slice them open ^^

I would recommend to carry a tubeless-repair set (those little "gluey rubber-worms", no clue how they are named correctly) which helps on holes that are to big for the sealant.

For long rides in the swiss alps i do carry a spare tube in my backpack. Those sniper-ninja-rocks up there are pretty sharp and you never know.

Chain lube basically depends on your riding conditions - i use "Muc-Off dry lube" for dry conditions and the wet lube for wet conditions. Got it recommended from my lbs and found nothing bad with it, so i'm sticking to it.

Do you find the muc off wet lube leaves like a tar on the whole drivetrain? I sold a cassette, derailleur and chainring recently and it was a nightmare to clean off. Got some Finish Line Ceramic to try instead now.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Do you find the muc off wet lube leaves like a tar on the whole drivetrain? I sold a cassette, derailleur and chainring recently and it was a nightmare to clean off. Got some Finish Line Ceramic to try instead now.

yes, the wet lube is definitely stickier, but it has to be so it doesn't get washed off so easily. I never really cared about that "tar" - i do clean the drivetrain with F100 bike cleaner, a brush and a cloth, that always worked. But i don't get insane on cleaning the chain...

Jonnyash

Aug 19, 2018
Hayling island
Thanks for all the replies guys, this is a very helpful Forum full of what seems great guys !!

Anothing thing I need help with, after all my riding Iv done it’s giving me a bit of a achey back, where I’m longer in the body than the legs I feel I might need a different handle bar, maybe a 40mm riser, just feel a bit hunched over while riding. What is the stem size ?? Don’t want to order the wrong one haha, any recommends on brands would be much appreciated too.
Jon

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
I use Stan's on the Levo and my other MTB and it works great for me. I do carry a tube and I sealed it in a nylon bag and stuffed it up above the battery in the upper downtube, so its always there. I've had one instance where the Stans didn't seal and i put in a tube but that was a large hole in wet freezing conditions so the Stans wouldn't seal. I do recommend tubeless, flats are rare, occasionally I see a "stans scab" where a small puncture fixed itself. I can run lower pressure and the rotational weight of the tubes is reduced.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Oh yes, a good thing - if you carry a spare tube - is to put that tube inside some sort of soft bag (i use an old sock) and add some talcum powder. I made the bitter experience of putting in my spare tube after carrying it around in my backpack for 1,5 years and it came out that tube developed a whole series of holes just from friction.

steviedsolve

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Wolverhampton
Personally I find the whole tubeless thing a pointless faff. I get very few punctures (twice this year, none last) with tubes and find if you do get them regularly , there's a rectifiable reason. I've seen and helped so many people with flats on the trails with both tubes and tubeless and it's so much harder to deal with when you are tubeless that it put me off. The mess sealant makes to your bike, hands, tyres and spare tube is horrible. I carry two spare tubes one for me and one for someone in need, and a puncture kit. If I'm with a buddy, I'll use the kit and repair the old tube whilst he puts the tyre back on or vice versa. Just in case. It rarely takes more than 10 mins and no mess. As @Donnie797 says. An old sock is a great idea to keep your tube in. I had a puncture in Atherton, Queensland once and it was getting dark. The fear of snakes made that the quickest tube change ever. If I'd had sealant to deal with I'd have been snake fodder. It was a rip in the tyre too, so always have a small reel of Gorilla tape as it holds a ripped tyre together really well. Never have pressure too low either. No less than 30psi on 2.35 tyres or 22 psi on 2.8. Good traction is down to good tyres and good positioning in my mind and not super low pressures which will result in pinch flats. All just my opinion of course and hope it helps.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Personally I find the whole tubeless thing a pointless faff. I get very few punctures (twice this year, none last) with tubes and find if you do get them regularly , there's a rectifiable reason. I've seen and helped so many people with flats on the trails with both tubes and tubeless and it's so much harder to deal with when you are tubeless that it put me off. The mess sealant makes to your bike, hands, tyres and spare tube is horrible. I carry two spare tubes one for me and one for someone in need, and a puncture kit. If I'm with a buddy, I'll use the kit and repair the old tube whilst he puts the tyre back on or vice versa. Just in case. It rarely takes more than 10 mins and no mess. As @Donnie797 says. An old sock is a great idea to keep your tube in. I had a puncture in Atherton, Queensland once and it was getting dark. The fear of snakes made that the quickest tube change ever. If I'd had sealant to deal with I'd have been snake fodder. It was a rip in the tyre too, so always have a small reel of Gorilla tape as it holds a ripped tyre together really well. Never have pressure too low either. No less than 30psi on 2.35 tyres or 22 psi on 2.8. Good traction is down to good tyres and good positioning in my mind and not super low pressures which will result in pinch flats. All just my opinion of course and hope it helps.

That's the other point of running tubeless - if you do, you can run 18psi which means more grip.
I've never had a flat since I'm running tubeless (which is 18 month) and some really rough trails in the Swiss alps. Before I changed to tubeless I had 3 flats in one month. Thorns and sharp rocks where I live = me loving tubeless :)

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
In California if you ride where the goat head thorns are, I have averaged punctures ever 10 or 20 miles when they are "ripe". After going tubeless I come home from those rides with little wet scab spots some rides, flat avoided. It depends on the hazards on your trails.

I like the tips in this thread and interesting to see how different continents deal with trail trouble and threats. Not to hijack the thread but I wonder if it would be OK to list some of the good items to pack. Here is my short list for the Turbo Levo. Looking forward more ideas.

Park Tool TB-2 Emergency Tire Boot (Pack of 3)
Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cleaning Wipes - 5 or 6 clean anything from tire, tube, glasses
Spare tube
Rema TT 02 Tour Patch Kit, Large
Genuine Innovations UST Tubeless Plug Patch Kit
11-speed chain and several kmc links
FiberFix Emergency Spoke Replacement Kit. (never used this yet)
Gorilla tape small rolled on self - good one from steviedslove and I have it too
Nylon zip ties - 2
Roll of soft iron bailing wire - 3 ft.
15 - 20 feet of paracord or similar for towing or shelter.
Two emergency mylar blankets for shelter or a dryer cleaner work surface.
First aid kit.
Tool kit, chain tool and tire levers.
Small multi tool.

I put most of this in an Elite 0111804 Byasi Water Bottle, Black

Maybe overdone but I'm often out of cell service and 20 or 30 miles from civilization and I don't like to walk that far.

Last edited:

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
Donnie797, so true on the 18psi. To me that feels like adding about 35% to the shock travel. So plush and so much grip. If I'm going to ride lots of hard road I'll take it up to 20psi, but 18 is sweet for the trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles