Levo Gen 2 Anyone know how to stop muddy stuff collecting here

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Greetings, I have decided to give Schwalbe 2.8 tyres a try, I have gone for a Eddy current on the rear and a Magic Mary on the front. First impressions is wow with the Mary, amazing amounts of grip, the Eddy current likes to run with lower air pressure than I normally use, this is getting better the lower I go. However the wider 2.8s are dragging a lot of mud onto where the rear triangle meets the BB / motor and then the chain starts running through it and then the jockey wheels get blocked up. The lower part of the triangle is narrower than the upper part, if it was the other way around it might be ok. Does anyone have any recommendations like a rear hugger / mud guard or deflector to help stop the mud and other nasty stuff accumulating here please? Cheers in advance.

20201210_184607.jpg

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Greetings, I have decided to give Schwalbe 2.8 tyres a try, I have gone for a Eddy current on the rear and a Magic Mary on the front. First impressions is wow with the Mary, amazing amounts of grip, the Eddy current likes to run with lower air pressure than I normally use, this is getting better the lower I go. However the wider 2.8s are dragging a lot of mud onto where the rear triangle meets the BB / motor and then the chain starts running through it and then the jockey wheels get blocked up. The lower part of the triangle is narrower than the upper part, if it was the other way around it might be ok. Does anyone have any recommendations like a rear hugger / mud guard or deflector to help stop the mud and other nasty stuff accumulating here please? Cheers in advance.

View attachment 47022

Sicomtb

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Just clear it out with a stick every now and then. Do not bother with sicomtb. Waste of time as just pushes even more crap on the chain.

I bought one and sold it soon after.
There were regular stops with using sticks and fingers to get it out. Problem being once it clogs up the jockey wheels with mud / twigs and leaves its a right pain to get out.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
That mudguard isn't helping, it's just filling the space with mud, then pushes it all out to the side as it hits the chainstay.
I'd just get rid and embrace the muddy backside :poop:

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
That mudguard isn't helping, it's just filling the space with mud, then pushes it all out to the side as it hits the chainstay.
I'd just get rid and embrace the muddy backside :poop:
Thanks for the info. The mudguard is too short to stop any mud getting on your back, however it does help to stop mud getting onto the "shelf" where the chainstay bolts onto the frame.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona

View attachment 47022
That picture looks downright menacing. Is that how it normally looks after riding in the UK or Northern Europe?

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
I also ride eddy current rear + magic marry front this winter, very good combination (but in 29') :love:

You should try removing the mudguard: the mudguard collect the mud and 'redistributes' it on the sides.
If you absolutely want to protect your back try a saddle mudguard... or just go full dirty and buy a dirtsuit or something like that ??

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I'm afriad I've been using my basic Hard Tail most of the time this Winter instead of my Levo. There's just less to go wrong, can just blast it when cleaning it and I don't have to feel bad about spoiling a very expensive bike in such crappy conditions.

Plus I don't ride as much in Winter, rides tend to be shorter and less frequent, so don't need the assistance.

Also:
E Bike means Faster Speeds + Longer Distances which means more Mud.

Also rear mud guards look absolutely hideous, I don't mind sticking one on my hard tail too much but really don't want to put one on my Levo.

Also my Levo is painted in Storm Grey which was a mistake in this country as it shows up the mud REALLY bad!

Yes the Hard Tail is not as good performance wise but it still beats walking or running!

Last edited:

lockin

Dec 1, 2020
Wrocław
I can give you some hints. First follow the rules from how to clean and lubricate chain/cassette from movie below (it works 100%, this guy races in all year condition and he knows your pain).

In short new chain needs to be cleaned from factory protective oil. Cassette, detailer and crank wheels needs to have thin layer of oil repellent (brunox will do the job). When you lubricate the chain do it only on inner side. After lubricate chain wipe it dry.

From my side now - add additional mud guard on the lower triangle. I experiment myself to make the most reliable one (Ver. 1 below).

IMG_20201214_120405.jpg

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
Whatever you do, you can’t stop mud and leaves jamming the rear triangle at the moment. Stop and poke it all out with a stick.

the topeak defender mudguard works as it fits on the seat post , doesn’t jam the wheel ,with mud and stops your arse getting wet.

im having to stop multiple times each ride at the moment unless it’s a dedicated trail centre. Cannock is fine but you get lots of baths ☔️?
☔️?.

maxx

Dec 17, 2020

View attachment 47022

Have a look at Engine protection Mud Cap 2.0 Levo 2019-2021 for alloy – carbon : Levo Range Extender

mxtyphoon

May 23, 2020
Wisconsin SW
The chain is what’s causing it to pile up there. You need something like a chain cover like they have on some motorcycles or a way for the mud to get scraped off before the chain. My 2 cents

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
The mud will still pile up, but can't do any harm with this linkage protector: Specialized Turbo Levo
I'm using it since a few weeks in very muddy conditions and it works great.
Easy to install (special velcro patch), easy to remove, weighs close to nothing and the bottom part is a bit flexible.

IMG_0020.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why would anyone choose to fit a 2.8 rear tyre for mud riding? ?

That front mudguard placed on your seatstays looks to be actually funneling mud straight onto your rear pivot and chainring
Try a smaller mud specific tyre and a mudguard that actually goes all the way down to the chainstay yoke. like @Gordon's recommendation above

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Why would anyone choose to fit a 2.8 rear tyre for mud riding? ?

That front mudguard placed on your seatstays looks to be actually funneling mud straight onto your rear pivot and chainring
Try a smaller mud specific tyre and a mudguard that actually goes all the way down to the chainstay yoke. like @Gordon's recommendation above
The Levo can run up to 3". I used to run 2.6" and the mudguard worked well with them, the gap across the seatstay is larger than the chainstay, so it looks like the chainstay is scraping the mud off the tyre and on to the chain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles