Can’t decide what to do..

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
So been thinking a while to go back to a normal bike. Had a few issues with my 2019 expert levo but LBS has been amazing, and would recommend them in a heart beat. So what happens after the warranty runs out, what’s your plan for the bike? Just keep upgrading every couple of year ?. I will for sure miss the climbing assistance but that’s about all I think, got some demos coming up to see. So will we see a mass eBay of Levows and other e bikes next year before warranty’s run out? How much value these bikes going to loose without the warranty. Wish they had at least 5 year warranty for more peace of mind.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I would never go back to a normal bike, but I feel your pain with the warranty and reliability woes with ebikes.
But I think once out of warranty a motor issue will be fixed and not replaced by 3rd party companies.
It seems really wasteful throwing out the whole motor when a belt goes for instance.

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
Agreed here, when all of the bikes run out of warranty we should see a huge 3rd party solution come, either a diy kit for repair or a full on motor, who knows. Such a good bike wont be left in the dust i'm sure. Maybe by then we will see Spesh have a real recall or something having almost 30% motor failures (noted from a few large customer polls)

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
sadly my plan for my 2019 sworks is just buy a new motor every few years, however if a motor is only lasting 500miles it's not a very good plan

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
People already have bikes out of warranty and they can be repaired by places like Performance bearings

Also every owner should read the bloody manual!!!! it clearly states that Specialized offer a replacement assistance program, im fed up of having to repeat it on here but here we go again!

So Spesh offer a Global assisted replacement program so basically once your motor or battery is out of warranty (or any other Spesh component) they then will offer you a replacement motor or battery at a discounted rate for up to 5 years after the warranty has expired, the older your motor or battery is the less the discount is

Please check out the link for the full details, also you can buy brand new Brose 1.3 motors (as fitted to the 2017/18 Levo and 2018/19 Kenevo) from shops in the UK for £350, i did post up a link to them a few months ago

Spesh have one of the best warranty policies out there so check out the Global warranty page

Global Warranty | Specialized.com

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
People already have bikes out of warranty and they can be repaired by places like Performance bearings

Also every owner should read the bloody manual!!!! it clearly states that Specialized offer a replacement assistance program, im fed up of having to repeat it on here but here we go again!
/QUOTE]

Yup

Chaindog

Nov 20, 2018
Germany
How does this Warranty work if I bought my bike online? Can I go to a Specialized Retailer near me and claim warranty with the original reciet even if I didn't buy the bike from him?

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east

So Spesh offer a Global assisted replacement program so basically once your motor or battery is out of warranty (or any other Spesh component) they then will offer you a replacement motor or battery at a discounted rate for up to 5 years after the warranty has expired, the older your motor or battery is the less the discount is

Please check out the link for the full details, also you can buy brand new Brose 1.3 motors (as fitted to the 2017/18 Levo and 2018/19 Kenevo) from shops in the UK for £350, i did post up a link to them a few months ago

Spesh have one of the best warranty policies out there so check out the Global warranty page

Global Warranty | Specialized.com

I never asked what Specialized would do, I was asking what owners would do/thinking of doing.

if you think having to buy a new motor once or twice a year at a discounted rate on a 4-10k bike is fine then you must have shares in Brose .

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I never asked what Specialized would do, I was asking what owners would do/thinking of doing..
Me, I have just had a failure. If I have a second failure during the warranty period I will demand a full refund of the bike & spare battery then will buy something non Brose.
If there is no joy there I will take to court claiming 'Not fit for purpose' and download a thick stack of known failures & complaints. I can accept a failure, but if I have two, that will mean to me they are selling a product that has NOT had proper pre-production testing.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
[QUOTE
I never asked what Specialized would do, I was asking what owners would do/thinking of doing.

if you think having to buy a new motor once or twice a year at a discounted rate on a 4-10k bike is fine then you must have shares in Brose .
][/QUOTE]

You asked what would owners do after the warranty has run out hence why I replied with Specialized's global warranty program as that's what most owners would do as its the cheapest option to get a brand new motor

Why would you have to buy a new motor once or twice a year???????

You buy a new discounted motor from spesh under the Global assisted replacement program or just from a shop like the 1.3 motors which are available for £350 and that new motor will come with 2 years warranty so why would you be buying 1-2 motors a year??????????????????

£350 every two years for a new motor, if you need to do that to keep your mtb going then that is a pretty good price considering the price of the bikes and the fact the technology is relatively new

You spend a hell of a lot more than that on servicing and running your car each year

Last edited:

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
[QUOTE

]

You asked what would owners do after the warranty has run out hence why I replied with Specialized's global warranty program as that's what most owners would do as its the cheapest option to get a brand new motor

You buy a new discounted motor from spesh under the Global assisted replacement program or just from a shop like the 1.3 motors which are available for £350 and that new motor will come with 2 years warranty so why would you be buying 1-2 motors a year??????????????????

£350 every two years for a new motor, if you need to do that to keep your mtb going then that is a pretty good price considering the price of the bikes and the fact the technology is relatively new

You spend a hell of a lot more than that on servicing and running your car each year[/QUOTE]
Words (y)

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Considering the model life of most motors seems to be two years or so and there's not great interchangeability between motor mounts, I mainly wonder if how long you'll be able to find old motors? In the states at least, there doesn't seem to be the numbers yet to support a secondary market in motors and batteries and the people who can work on them. Keeping a emtb for over 5 years doesn't appear feasible unless you're happy to brick it eventually.

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Considering the model life of most motors seems to be two years or so and there's not great interchangeability between motor mounts, I mainly wonder if how long you'll be able to find old motors? In the states at least, there doesn't seem to be the numbers yet to support a secondary market in motors and batteries and the people who can work on them. Keeping a emtb for over 5 years doesn't appear feasible unless you're happy to brick it eventually.

I’m sure I read that they are just repurposed windscreen wiper motors? Hopefully Brose keep a good supply of spares for a few years. Batteries could be a different story as technology moves on.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I'll just keep mine going by getting motors and batteries as needed. My Levo is a great bike and I don't see the need to replace it any time soon.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
[QUOTE

]

You spend a hell of a lot more than that on servicing and running your car each year[/QUOTE]
If you're prices are correct for a new motor I would not have a problem with that I thought they would be a lot more than that.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
its probably been said already but like any other new development a whole string of garden shed types with mad skillz will tinker with these things because its fun for them, earns them cash and keeps us on the trails.. im almost looking forward to that because these folk never just repair stuff, they always have to repair and improve, given 10 years we will be bombing about on our 35hp modded 2019 Levo's (I hope) :D :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles