Is it me or did EMTBing explode?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Went for a 20k ride yesterday and fixed up a few trails/roads along the way. I probably spent 5 hours total on our mountain. Since it was a Monday the hiking and mtb-ing was less than the weekend. As hikers and bikers went by I chatted with whoever would pause or whoever needed directions.
Then I realized how many EMTB there was. It was at least 50%. I’ve never seen this many before. For those that stopped, or paused, we shared the similarities of our peddle assist chariots. We offered hints, tips and advice to each other. Even though it was sunny and kinda warm, this experience was a little different.

Last edited:

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Not so much in the US yet (at least in the Midwest where I live). I see and have met some folks but 90% of the riders just don't like ebikes. More parks are letting them in though which is good.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The ski hills around here are MTB friendly but they are slowly accepting Emtb. I can understand if there’s a lift to the top ( Whistler, Grouse, Seymour, Cypress). But there are so many other areas to ride that are Emtb friendly. Burke Mountian doesn’t have a lift which may be why I’m starting to see more Emtb’s. Along with hikers, dog-walkers, snow-shoeing, and MTB-ing…this place is big enough that 200-300 can disappear. (No garbage either).

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Haven’t noticed a big increase out in the trails where I ride (there was a fair number already to begin with) but I am noticing an explosion of new members in this here EMTBforum.

I’m also wondering if the average age of eBikers is getting younger as well? More and more of you lot are beginning to talk funny ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup, in the UK you would be lucky to even get hold of an EMTB right now such is the demand.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m also wondering if the average age of eBikers is getting younger as well? More and more of you lot are beginning to talk funny ;)
Oh yah. Getting younger for sure. I can barely understand anyone under 35yrs and then they text in some acronyms (I google those). Half the Emtb’ers I saw yesterday were under 35. I still apologize when I pass them on a steep climb though . I’m only 72kg but I have a lite tool-kit. Funny thing, I’m not called a cheat anymore. (To my face anyways).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
T6 camper owners with de-rigueur 6k+ carbon enduro bike who despite buying said mtb adventure van still spend hours on end drinking fancy coffees n cake in the "must be seen in" cliquey mtb cafe?
Aye tight AF :rolleyes:

There's quite an odd unspoken health/fitness snobbery thing goes on.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well, you've just broken Scotland !

Last time I went, you travelled for hours. Maybe, found a wee shack thing which offered a bed for a night by some incredibly friendly and welcoming people. Somehow ended up drinking too much. Had a thoroughly brilliant time. I don't think I even had a single coffee !

cliquey mtb cafe?

What ?!? What have you done to the place !

Oh, just for reference, are there also cliquey emtb cafe's ? If one does visit, one doesn't want to mix with the riff raff .. :ROFLMAO:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I’m new to EMTB’s and this forum. There’s loads of electric MTB’s in North Yorkshire, at least 50% of MTB’s I see are electric.

Walking around our local woods and seeing bikes flying up steep muddy banks sparked my interest. When I was doing my research on these mysterious machines I discovered EMBN on YouTube followed by Rob Rides and I was sold

Most riders around here are middle aged or above but I guess that’s because they’re so expensive and your average teenager or twenty something can’t afford them yet!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Surrey hills has definitely seen an explosion of EMTB's, but then again its an area with a demographic with a fair bit of disposable income. One thing I have noticed is some of the younger shredders getting them, god knows where they get the money!

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA, northern region...

~30% of MTBers on cycling-popular fireroads seem to be eMTBs. Average age of users seem to be 55.
~20% of MTBers on the more-interesting (and usually non-kosher) singletracks seem to be eMTBs. Average age seems to be 40.

I have yet to observe anybody in their 20s on an eMTB. but I'm sure they exist. I have seen people who might be 70-thereabouts on an eMTB.

The majority of eMTBs here seem to be Specialized, followed by that of Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz (MTBs/eMTBs) is a very popular brand here, making up ~50% of the observed MTBs/eMTBs.

All "stats" are non-tabulated impressions from memory. Sampling bias is assured.

Edit: this too is also a region with a bit of disposable income. Or at the very least the cost of an eMTB is relatively low compared to living costs of the region.

Last edited:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Surrey hills has definitely seen an explosion of EMTB's, but then again its an area with a demographic with a fair bit of disposable income. One thing I have noticed is some of the younger shredders getting them, god knows where they get the money!

0% finance and not much more a month than sky!? Lol

know what I’d rather have.

plus I think the cycle to work scheme makes them very attractive to a lot of folk as can get big savings. ??

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Feels like 50% in the car parks at Yorkshire trails like Dalby.

Still haven’t taken mine to Dalby yet but that’s mainly due to the recent lockdown restrictions and the fact the trails have been closed due to snow & ice

Been trying to find a way up to the top of Sutton Bank from home but again there’s still too much ice around once on higher ground

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Around the Seattle, WA area in the Pacific Northwest in the USA there are tons of eMTB. I would say now at least 50-70% out on the trails.

I'll bet that pisses the EMBA off, they have been pretty vocal about their distaste for them since day one. Has never stopped me from riding in WA when I'm up there though.

Sep 19, 2020
Squamish, BC, Canada
Went for a 20k ride yesterday and fixed up a few trails/roads along the way. I probably spent 5 hours total on our mountain. Since it was a Monday the hiking and mtb-ing was less than the weekend. As hikers and bikers went by I chatted with whoever would pause or whoever needed directions.
Then I realized how many EMTB there was. It was at least 50%. I’ve never seen this many before. For those that stopped, or paused, we shared the similarities of our peddle assist chariots. We offered hints, tips and advice to each other. Even though it was sunny and kinda warm, this experience was a little different.

The climb up Burke is brutal. Perfect spot for an ebike.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Oh yah. Getting younger for sure. I can barely understand anyone under 35yrs and then they text in some acronyms (I google those). Half the Emtb’ers I saw yesterday were under 35. I still apologize when I pass them on a steep climb though . I’m only 72kg but I have a lite tool-kit. Funny thing, I’m not called a cheat anymore. (To my face anyways).
Decided to ride a G2 trail loop called ‘Tourist Trap’... to keep it interesting I hit it at speed. It has a bit of everything, berms, drops and rises (no big jumps really) - but overall there’s no elevation gain so the interesting bits are interspersed between short pedally bursts for the most part. Took me about 20 minutes nonstop, best I could do considering my health. Although with my eMTB, I’m still able to sustain a pace faster than what a decent cross-country racer might do on an analog.

Came up to a young couple ahead of me (late20s I’d say) and I was gaining quick. I preempted the smart comments I’m likely gonna get as I was about to pass them so I said, “sorry, cheater coming through!”

All I got in return was a, “huh?” That was when I caught a glimpse with my peripheral vision that they we both riding EEBs!

I really need to stop apologising that I’m on an eBike... they’ve been around for a while now and most riders really couldn’t care less.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Definitely more where me and my mate ride in Chopwell Woods.
When I got my bike 14 months ago you were lucky to see another emtb, now we see at least a few every ride.
We even saw a group of young ones with them proving it isn't just an old man's sport :LOL:

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
ebikes for commuting and touring have been a big thing in Germany for many years now, certainly since I moved here about 15 years ago, so the move from MTBs to eMTBs isn't very surprising. There's still the ignorant "it's cheating" mindset in a lot of mountain bikers, though.

I'd be interested if anyone has access to international bike sales statistics that provide more detailed information, rather than just a feeling.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham

I live in the Midlands, UK. I ride in the Peak District, and Wales (usually) there's been a noticeable increase in E-riders over the past 12-18 months. It's a good thing :)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA, northern region...
Edit: this too is also a region with a bit of disposable income. Or at the very least the cost of an eMTB is relatively low compared to living costs of the region.

It does seem like our demographics plays a major role in our ride models, types, cost factors etc.
Over a year ago I was secretly hoping to be included with the analog MTB community. I received the occasional comment as I rode past or there was deafening silence and avoidance. What a difference a year makes.

Now I’m receiving compliments or hopes of getting one for themselves. I’ve even received questions from younger emtb owners on EMTB ediquete. I didn’t even know that there was such a thing.
The disposable income thing has me puzzled though. I know how much it cost me and some of my neighbors. It’s usually $10k+ CDN when the dust settles. (and that seems to climb on a weekly basis). Are our priorities changing? Is this suddenly an attractive new sport? Necessity? Money trees discovered? 30 years ago I might not have spent this amount of money. Maybe it’s relative?
I mean, I could YouTube a yoga class for free…(wait, those yoga tights would look hideous on me).

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I looked for direct link to this study but couldn't find one, so hopefully it's ok to attach it here. At the very end (after the references) are a list of comments collected which it seems are relevant to this thread.

Attachments

• CMU E-bike on Public Lands Study - Final 2020.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 249

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I walked inside a “big store” outdoor sports shop just recently to have a look at the latest bike models just released. I was shocked to see some analog mountain bikes that are more expensive than pretty decent electric enduro bikes. I didn’t pay close attention to the exact component specs but none of these were budget bikes. I realise that there is a considerable price difference even within top-shelf component brands (which they all had) but to see eMTBs cheaper than analog MTBs sitting side by side in the shop floor only spells one thing to me. I’d tell you what it is but I can’t remember... has something to do with some kind of explosion I think.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles