Is it just me or....

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
....Does anyone share the notion that the pad thickness appears to me that they are a different thicknesses.

I don't mean the steel backing plate, I mean the actual compound that wears against the rotor.

I was just looking at the underside of a V4 caliper and the pads therein when i must admit that it looked like the thickness was not identical. I would have thought them pretty much the same, and not to be noticeable to the naked eye.

In the past I have I believe I've noticed discrepancies and is this something others have noticed ?, or am I the last to know that pads are normally a bit uneven.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
....Does anyone share the notion that the pad thickness appears to me that they are a different thicknesses.

I don't mean the steel backing plate, I mean the actual compound that wears against the rotor.

I was just looking at the underside of a V4 caliper and the pads therein when i must admit that it looked like the thickness was not identical. I would have thought them pretty much the same, and not to be noticeable to the naked eye.

In the past I have I believe I've noticed discrepancies and is this something others have noticed ?, or am I the last to know that pads are normally a bit uneven.
Manufacturers make brake pads different thicknesses for all those out there who are too cheap to replace them when they reach their minimum thickness which in turn, forces the brake pistons to extend too far causing other issues like over heating, pistons that don't retract properly (dirt can get on them) and leaks. New brake pads should be the same thickness!
In other words, being cheap on brake pads will cause bigger problems down the trail. Then again, if you can actually SEE a difference (on new pads?) without measuring the pad thickness with a digital caliper, you have very good eyes or really cheap brake pads. If you are talking about used brake pads, your pistons are sticky and need to be cleaned.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles