Is it me or did EMTBing explode?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Nothing to do with MTB's specifically.
World is full of knobs of one persuasion or other, and some of those knobs inevitably ride MTB's
Who hasn't been a knob occasionally.
I guess if we adhere to the simple “rules-of-da-road”, that’s the best we can do. Unfortunately I let my passive-aggressive nature creep in when someone does something stupid like …run my wife off the trail. I played a very fast game of “chicken” with this guy and he backed down.
Casual riding and and family groups deserve a bit of latitude. When our FS eMTB’ s get mixed in with walkers, gravel bikes etc, on the flats, I guess we need to tone it down a bit. Yup, I was a dick for a moment.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Around 7 or 8 years ago, before I threw in the MTB towel, I was sat at Dixons Hollow watching some teenage lads on BMX’s absolutely killing the big jump section. Backflips, huge airs, you name it, landed each and every time, no helmets, no protection, just massive balls

Along come Tarquin & Rupert on their high spec ‘never seen the winter or mud’ full suspension bikes, prop their bikes against some trees, take photos of THEIR bikes on an expensive Canon SLR camera from the rucksack, before sitting down to open their quinoa salad packed lunches with fresh super greens & sprouted beans

They watched the lads on the BMX’s hanging upside down mid air in frozen time for a minute or two. Tarquin turns to Rupert and says ‘I see they’ve let the riff raff in’, Rupert replies ‘maybe they should start a members only scheme at Dalby

That was the point I realised the MTB scene was heading in the wrong direction
Ahh the greater crested MTB rider, generally let's-give-MTB-a-go roadies. Usually found dragging their bikes off the roof of a £45k Audi at BPW, then scurrying off to enjoy a panini before 'getting rad' on the blue runs. Can also be found at FOD trailheads discussing how ridiculously easy the climb was, while everyone is trying to get off down the trail before them....

A couple of years ago I spotted one such example, berating the guy in the burger van at Revolution. "Well haven't you got ANYTHING healthier?!"

It's ok, most of them have moved onto gravel bikes now. welcome back.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m bigger, I’m heavier, and gosh-darn-it…I’m faster. Whoooooo! Lol

1BFFF873-4E5B-4636-A131-B347A69F5F9A.jpeg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Ahh the greater crested MTB rider, generally let's-give-MTB-a-go roadies. Usually found dragging their bikes off the roof of a £45k Audi at BPW, then scurrying off to enjoy a panini before 'getting rad' on the blue runs. Can also be found at FOD trailheads discussing how ridiculously easy the climb was, while everyone is trying to get off down the trail before them....

A couple of years ago I spotted one such example, berating the guy in the burger van at Revolution. "Well haven't you got ANYTHING healthier?!"

It's ok, most of them have moved onto gravel bikes now. welcome back.
I'm with you all the way there mate and gave you a like ..just lay off Audi drivers ..I don't want to be tarred with the same brush as the dickheads you have just described ??

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I wonder if eMTB’s will develop a pecking order similar to the auto industry? Probably all really has. I don’t think we’re having the same supply issues though. There seems to be room for the niche market but who’s gonna become dominant. The bigger manufacturers may have some influence on supplies such as brakes, drivetrain, frames etc. The benefits of competition will likely be lower prices and better technology.
The push is on by the European market but the North American market may drive something once it catches up.
Graphine?

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
I wonder if eMTB’s will develop a pecking order similar to the auto industry? Probably all really has. I don’t think we’re having the same supply issues though. There seems to be room for the niche market but who’s gonna become dominant. The bigger manufacturers may have some influence on supplies such as brakes, drivetrain, frames etc. The benefits of competition will likely be lower prices and better technology.
The push is on by the European market but the North American market may drive something once it catches up.
Graphine?
Sounds like there are already decent supply issues to me. I tried buy a Focus Sam2 a few weeks back and the dealer, straight faced, asked for a deposit and told me the bike would be available in September :oops:

Bigger manufcaturers always more influence on the suppliers they purchase in bulk from. The MTB components market could really do with more competition $620 for a SRAM X01 cassette is bonkers.

As for Graphene, that won't be on MTB's in a meaningful way for years. It's an amazing technology and has huge potential but the development into real world applications is very slow.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Nothing wrong with Audis, at least they weren't driving BMWs! :)
Apologies, should have clarified.

Any big, expensive, German lease car that they don't own, and is proclaimed to be waaaay better than their last one, loudly. ?

I'm so sorry. The stereotypes just keep coming! Please understand this is all tongue in cheek.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
I think/hope we can see graphene in eBike batteries fairly soon (if not already available). Interesting tech!!
If you notice I did caveat my statement with the word 'meaningful'. You can buy things have Graphene in them already, but they aren't really any better than what they are replacing. Graphene circuitry and batteries have the potential to be significantly better than current tech, but I will wager that you won't see anything Graphene based on bikes that is more than an incremental improvement on what is currently available. Not for many years anyway.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I read most your previous attachment , especially the comments at the end, and realized the politics that will soon become involved for our areas. If we can foresee the uses of our trails we could position this sport in a favourable and useful light.

The data shown in this survey shows that quite a few of us are senior or retired. We ride eBikes or eMTB’s for a number of reasons and some of us have a bit of spare time.

I’ll speak for my self and say that I ride my eMTB almost five days a week. (Maybe more). At least once a week I maintain the trails or roads as part of my ride. (There’s always something to fix). While I’m fixing creeks or restoring trails/roads, many hikers and MTBers pass by. Almost all of them are please but more importantly they see someone who rides an EMTB fixing the trails they use.

Now some of this is self serving but they will remember who fixed the ground they walk and ride on. I can document my efforts and hopefully any self righteous user who claims this area for a single group will not have very little to stand on. There are other riders who put in similar efforts and build some amazing trails slso(mostly secret) but the best trails are up high and usually only accessible by eMTB or the hardcore MTB’er.
Anyways…
I think we’re all ambassadors to this new sport.
Now I’m gonna sing a few verses of Kum-by-ya. ?

I find it hard to understand why folks think that Ebikers will destroy the trails and not contribute to trail care .
Does E bike riding equate to laziness in peoples minds ? I repair trails regularly and build new ones ,and I know several E bikers who are doing the same .

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
…Graphene circuitry and batteries have the potential to be significantly better than current tech, but I will wager that you won't see anything Graphene based on bikes that is more than an incremental improvement on what is currently available. Not for many years anyway.
I wonder if my eMTB had sticker on it that says;
“Graphene Ready”. ?

Vittoria tires have graphene in the rubber compound. I think it’s more of a marketing spin.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Fuck bells. (unless you're mute)

Try actually making the effort speak instead of acting like some sort of city living freak afraid to communicate with otrher humans. I live rurally and since covid restrictions the immediate countryside to me has become overrun with the socially stinted. It's not a bell that's required. It's common sense and basic social skills. The only time you should be shouting is to warn someone of danger. If you're passing dangerously enough to require shouting every time you meet another human being then you're most likely a dick.

What`s the protocol if they are wearing ear phones ?
Like 90 % of walkers do these days ? And because these people are in a world of their own , they can be dangerous to pass as they get frightened and can make unnecessary random moves trying to avoid the bike . When the cyclist has it all under control .

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think you'll find most people in the modern world have headphones.

if only the same could be said for common sense ;)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
What would you suggest is the best way to pass you? …without me being a dick.
Well... one might need a pair of big balls, copious amounts of cornering and jumping skill, and a dash of pro-level speed and flow.

Not saying it can't be done... but I don't think there's many of us here than can pass Gary... even if he just woke up with a hang over and then snapped his chain! ? ;)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Well, well, well... a good friend of mine rang me earlier today... and my head just exploded because he asked me to help him buy an eMTB!

I'm sure some of us know of a riding mate who's a die-hard "I'm never gonna be caught dead riding an eBike" kinda guy. I actually took his request in a very sedate manner - and informed him some things he needs to look out for, and pointed him at the right direction.

I even surprised myself and didn't hassle him one bit about his sudden turn around. He'll keep!
I'll have plenty of opportunities to hassle him later, and make him eat his 'eBike hater words' at the trails. ?

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Just remember to behave yourselves, for instance:

1) Try not to go blowing past analogue bikes on the ascent with full assist. Be considerate and pass them at maybe 2-4 mph like you would on a normal bike. And signal that you're coming as normal.

2) Be mindful that you're carrying 10lbs or so more, try to go easy on the trails and not tear them up unnecessarily.

3) If you're going to de-restrict you're ebike for the love of God don't blow past regular cyclists at 30 mph, keep to the legal limits among other cyclists and on group rides especially. Reserve your de-restricted tune for that boring long fireroad where no one can see you or have a reason to complain.

4) Be considerate of everyone else using the trails. If you encounter hikers, joggers, horses etc slow down and maybe say hello like you normally would.

This eMTB thing is great, it's allowed me as a not yet old but aging rider to get out there and ride like I'm 25 again. I love being out in nature an exploring new trails. But I can also see this eMTB thing quickly being ruined by a few bad apples who think they're on an electric enduro bike and that it's a free for all.

If people can't behave, and go tearing up the countryside causing mayhem and disturbing others who want to enjoy nature, then the risk that some sort of ban will be put in place becomes high. eMTB's would then be relegated to a regular roads and a few select closed off parks and dedicated trails, and that would be a real shame.
I don't see 1 at all. By all means issue a cheery greeting, but I've got an eMTB for getting uphill faster and easier. Deal with it.

It must have been many years ago that I read "Graphene is a solution looking for a problem".
Or was that about lasers? :unsure:
If a bike had lasers and graphene all over it I'd be the first in line to buy one! ?

Jokes aside, there is a point to what you say. We don't fully understand what we should do with graphene, but I am excited about what's to come in the future.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Graphene has so many fantastic qualities that it is easy to see why a bright future was forecast for it. But since then, nothing!

I reckon the military/government cabal has tied up all the production capacity, and the Patent Office is sitting on all the developments thanks to a "D" notice issued by the government. They are, of course, developing spaceships!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles