Another MTB succombed to eMTB

tomA

Jan 17, 2024
Liberty Lake WA
Hi my name is Tom, I live in Spokane WA, well actually Liberty Lake Washington, which is 20 minutes east of Spokane on the Idaho border, but who's every heard of Liberty Lake (and yes we do have a lake!) whereas you may have heard of Spokane. That said, Liberty Lake is WAY nicer than Spokane, believe me, and I feel lucky to live there (well at least 8 months out of the year - not counting winter). But dont' tell anyone! Its getting crowded!

I've been riding mountain bikes for around 20 years, I started late in life and I'm over 60 now. I ride an Ibis Ripley V4. I also still have my ibis Ripley V3. Before that I had an ibis ripley original. before that an ibis mojo. What I realized as I aged on the ibis mojo is that pedalling a 26 inch wheel bike was harder. Once I went to 29 inch wheels and discovered tires with lower rolling resistance, I never looked back. It re-invigorated my riding, at least for a time, because 29ers were faster and easier to peda, and therefore funner. But now the problem is back, the hills seem harder and I keep getting slower with each passing year. I was just riding in Phoenix area. A great area to ride, but there are plenty of techy, sustained and steep climbs in the area and they were kicking my butt. I dont' remember them being quite that hard two years ago when I was there. But there are no new wheel sizes to make my life easier anymore. So....

I was in this bike shop and told them I was considering e-bikes, as age is really getting to me. They said: "hey come out with on our wednesday eMTB ride. We'll provide a shop bike for you to ride". How could I pass that up! So there I was on the next Wednesday, riding a full power turbo levo with a fast group of riders. I was now going faster than ever, climbing steep hills I might not even attempt on my pedal bike and climbing at amazing paces instead of grunting up if I had been pedalling. It was super invigorating!

Well that then led to a two day rental. I started with the turbo levo, but being by myself, I wasn't flying at crazy fast paces, I was just pedaling like I normally do. Yes I could do all the climbs now that I used to stop twice on pedalling, but... the bike just felt like a tank to me compared to my ibis Ripley. Especially when I got to techy trails I had to walk over big boulders (National trail on South Mountain). So on my second day I swapped my rental to a turbo levo SL. I really loved this bike because it felt more like my pedal bike. It wasn't a huge tank. But it also had 160mm front and 150mm reaer travel and it just soaked up the techy trails like crazy. I never had that much suspension before because a) I didn't think I needed it on our trails, and b) they are typically much hader to pedal. But this was amazing! with e-assist, you can have all the suspension you ever could want, the beefiest tires you want without worring about pedalling efficiencty, and it doesn't matter because the battery/motor takes up the slack! This bike felt like the perfect mix for someone who just needs a little boost (kind of like going from 26 in wheels to 29). I was hooked!

Now here I am an eMTB convert with one problem. My riding buddies back home (well all but one) look down on eMTBers. So I will be shunned from the group if I mention I want to ride eMTB, let along actually show up on a ride with one. So I'm here to ask questions and I embark on my eMTB journey.

I'm looking forward to chatting with you all!

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Hi my name is Tom, I live in Spokane WA, well actually Liberty Lake Washington, which is 20 minutes east of Spokane on the Idaho border, but who's every heard of Liberty Lake (and yes we do have a lake!) whereas you may have heard of Spokane. That said, Liberty Lake is WAY nicer than Spokane, believe me, and I feel lucky to live there (well at least 8 months out of the year - not counting winter). But dont' tell anyone! Its getting crowded!

I've been riding mountain bikes for around 20 years, I started late in life and I'm over 60 now. I ride an Ibis Ripley V4. I also still have my ibis Ripley V3. Before that I had an ibis ripley original. before that an ibis mojo. What I realized as I aged on the ibis mojo is that pedalling a 26 inch wheel bike was harder. Once I went to 29 inch wheels and discovered tires with lower rolling resistance, I never looked back. It re-invigorated my riding, at least for a time, because 29ers were faster and easier to peda, and therefore funner. But now the problem is back, the hills seem harder and I keep getting slower with each passing year. I was just riding in Phoenix area. A great area to ride, but there are plenty of techy, sustained and steep climbs in the area and they were kicking my butt. I dont' remember them being quite that hard two years ago when I was there. But there are no new wheel sizes to make my life easier anymore. So....

I was in this bike shop and told them I was considering e-bikes, as age is really getting to me. They said: "hey come out with on our wednesday eMTB ride. We'll provide a shop bike for you to ride". How could I pass that up! So there I was on the next Wednesday, riding a full power turbo levo with a fast group of riders. I was now going faster than ever, climbing steep hills I might not even attempt on my pedal bike and climbing at amazing paces instead of grunting up if I had been pedalling. It was super invigorating!

Well that then led to a two day rental. I started with the turbo levo, but being by myself, I wasn't flying at crazy fast paces, I was just pedaling like I normally do. Yes I could do all the climbs now that I used to stop twice on pedalling, but... the bike just felt like a tank to me compared to my ibis Ripley. Especially when I got to techy trails I had to walk over big boulders (National trail on South Mountain). So on my second day I swapped my rental to a turbo levo SL. I really loved this bike because it felt more like my pedal bike. It wasn't a huge tank. But it also had 160mm front and 150mm reaer travel and it just soaked up the techy trails like crazy. I never had that much suspension before because a) I didn't think I needed it on our trails, and b) they are typically much hader to pedal. But this was amazing! with e-assist, you can have all the suspension you ever could want, the beefiest tires you want without worring about pedalling efficiencty, and it doesn't matter because the battery/motor takes up the slack! This bike felt like the perfect mix for someone who just needs a little boost (kind of like going from 26 in wheels to 29). I was hooked!

Now here I am an eMTB convert with one problem. My riding buddies back home (well all but one) look down on eMTBers. So I will be shunned from the group if I mention I want to ride eMTB, let along actually show up on a ride with one. So I'm here to ask questions and I embark on my eMTB journey.

I have a 2020 Levo SL and I love it!
I have about 15 years of riding normal MTBs, racing XC and Gravity Enduro and the odd DH. I'm a month off turning 50 and was going to wait until then but just over a year ago a nice, well kept second hand SL came up for a good price, so I decided to nail it and never looked back.
I do think that if you are coming from a long MTB riding background and just want a bit more oomph up the hills, the lightweight models are the Ebikes to go for. You still get a good workout, and you just enjoy the ride a whole lot more.
I have a few riding buddies that shun Ebikes, but they get over it and if they don't it's their loss not mine.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Well Sir that is a great read! I'm sorry you're riding buddies don't understand that as we age our ability to ride analog mtb's gets harder and harder. The fun goes away and the desire to ride with it. Emtb's bring you back to the mountains smiling again. At 58 and a Knee surgery that left me with no acl or mcl I have to were a knee brace made for motorcycle Motocross to ride. An emtb is the only way I can enjoy the trails/single tracks.

If you're riding buddies don't understand than you need new riding buddies. I have came across a few older guys on the trails that dropped their riding buddies do to their comments on Emtb's. They were happy going along without them. Plus it sounds like your local bike shop does Wednesday emtb rides so go on a few of those. You'll get new riding buddies in no time. Life it to short to let others affect what you do and own. Get your Levo SL and go riding!!

tomA

Jan 17, 2024
Liberty Lake WA
Well Sir that is a great read! I'm sorry you're riding buddies don't understand that as we age our ability to ride analog mtb's gets harder and harder. The fun goes away and the desire to ride with it. Emtb's bring you back to the mountains smiling again. At 58 and a Knee surgery that left me with no acl or mcl I have to were a knee brace made for motorcycle Motocross to ride. An emtb is the only way I can enjoy the trails/single tracks.

If you're riding buddies don't understand than you need new riding buddies. I have came across a few older guys on the trails that dropped their riding buddies do to their comments on Emtb's. They were happy going along without them. Plus it sounds like your local bike shop does Wednesday emtb rides so go on a few of those. You'll get new riding buddies in no time. Life it to short to let others affect what you do and own. Get your Levo SL and go riding!!

Just to clarify... I ran into the wed night e-bike riders during my short stay in Pheonix while I was avoiding the Spokane cold and snow. So that is where I demo'd the Turbo Levo and Levo SL. On those amazing Phoenix trails.

But to your point:
"you're riding buddies don't understand that as we age our ability to ride analog mtb's gets harder and harder. The fun goes away and the desire to ride with it"

That is exactly how I feel about certrain trails. They just aren't fun anymore. There were several rides last year where we climb and climb for an hour or more straight (Mt Spokane, Mica Peak). I don't remember exactly, but it could be between 1500 and 3000 feet over 4-10 miles or so (yes we are only averaging about 4 miles an hour on these climbs). Of course there are some fun down hills at the end. But the uphill is so painful. and each year it is more painful, to the point that I have to wait till late in the season before I'm even strong enough to try it. In fact, one of the two routes to Mica peak is so much work that I don't even attempt it any more. On more than one of these rides I said to myself: why am I doing this? This isn't even fun and we are supposed to be having fun. I need an ebike.

I'm convinced that an e-bike can bring the fun back into these rides by making the climbs eaiser and I can once again make that climb up to Mica peak that I've been avoiding for about 3 years.

The good news is there is 1 other guy in our group who is roughly my age, and he is a convert too. So I can get an e-bike and ride with him. Then maybe the both of us will bring our e-bikes on one of these brutal climbing group rides. Then instead of lagging at the end of the pack, I can use eco mode and hopefully easily hang in the front.
That would be defintely make the trail more fun

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Just to clarify... I ran into the wed night e-bike riders during my short stay in Pheonix while I was avoiding the Spokane cold and snow. So that is where I demo'd the Turbo Levo and Levo SL. On those amazing Phoenix trails.

But to your point:
"you're riding buddies don't understand that as we age our ability to ride analog mtb's gets harder and harder. The fun goes away and the desire to ride with it"

That is exactly how I feel about certrain trails. They just aren't fun anymore. There were several rides last year where we climb and climb for an hour or more straight (Mt Spokane, Mica Peak). I don't remember exactly, but it could be between 1500 and 3000 feet over 4-10 miles or so (yes we are only averaging about 4 miles an hour on these climbs). Of course there are some fun down hills at the end. But the uphill is so painful. and each year it is more painful, to the point that I have to wait till late in the season before I'm even strong enough to try it. In fact, one of the two routes to Mica peak is so much work that I don't even attempt it any more. On more than one of these rides I said to myself: why am I doing this? This isn't even fun and we are supposed to be having fun. I need an ebike.

I'm convinced that an e-bike can bring the fun back into these rides by making the climbs eaiser and I can once again make that climb up to Mica peak that I've been avoiding for about 3 years.

The good news is there is 1 other guy in our group who is roughly my age, and he is a convert too. So I can get an e-bike and ride with him. Then maybe the both of us will bring our e-bikes on one of these brutal climbing group rides. Then instead of lagging at the end of the pack, I can use eco mode and hopefully easily hang in the front.
Heck even if you used trail mode you still don't have to be speed racer. You can ride 7 mph up hill all day long as long as you have battery power. Orbea has some nice light wight options with a larger battery you may want to look at. I think Transition dose too. I'm sure there are others. I ride a 55 lb 2022 Rocky Mountain Powerplay Altitude A30 coil. Love it and the 720 wh battery is nice although it is a pig. I have gotten use to it.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... So on my second day I swapped my rental to a turbo levo SL. I really loved this bike because it felt more like my pedal bike. It wasn't a huge tank. But it also had 160mm front and 150mm reaer travel and it just soaked up the techy trails like crazy ...

Sounds like that's the bike for you. Do you have a good LBS you can rely on for support in case you need it?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've been riding mountain bikes for around 20 years, I started late in life and I'm over 60 now.

Do they let old geezers in rest home ride bikes, or do you have to sneak out? I'm just curious, because I'm only 60. I'll be over 60 by the time you read this tomorrow. Bwahahahaha!

Now here I am an eMTB convert with one problem. My riding buddies back home (well all but one) look down on eMTBers. So I will be shunned from the group if I mention I want to ride eMTB, let along actually show up on a ride with one.

Mabye your buddies will change. eMTB's are just like Covid was in the early days. First one guy gets a little cough, then another, and pretty soon everyone in your crew is riding an eMTB.

BangorPootsy

Nov 13, 2023
Northern Ireland
I made the jump in November to an eMTB. A few weeks back I met up with the usual group of riders that I'd do some of the local trails with and off we went. Once we reached the tougher uphill trails which are very muddy and slippy at the moment due to winter, I sailed past everyone and was at the top in no time. When they all caught up, completely knackered unlike myself, I got the usual 'cheat' and usual slurs aimed at eMTB riders.

Two of the group took my bike back down the trail and powered up it. Immedially converted as to why you'd own such a bike. Suddenly they realised I could do the same trails multiple times each time whereas they wouldn't dare because of the energy exerted.

Don't let the naysayers bother you. If an eMTB makes you continue your love of riding trails then its a no-brainer. Let them be jealous.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
My riding buddies were the same way, now they all have e-bikes🤣😂 we had one hold out that tried to put it off but eventually caved and now has a Trek Fuel Exe, he said he compromised with the lightweight bike.

Nov 28, 2023
Italy
Hi, I'm 68 and I did the same choise than you, I was used to ride a 26 MTB and now I've got a Ghost ASX.... Actually, I ride, as ever, as hard as I can, but with my ebike I have much more fun! 😁😁 Furthermore, now I can explore many more beatiful spots around me, nothing more to say....🙂🙂

gapago

Apr 21, 2022
california

Smoke a cigar as you pass them going up a long climb. That will make them happy!

Brian O

May 8, 2022
Brevard North Carolina

I live in North Carolina and get looks all the time. I converted when I was 59 and now 62. Saying this there are more and more people riding EMTB and still ride with guys with MTB and e-bikes . I don’t care what anyone says because I love it. Don’t stop!! I also ride a Levo.

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
Since buying my Turbo Levo, nobody rides with me any more :(...

Except one.

He's the one who let me ride his.

That's all it takes. Just ride at the back of the pack, then, let one of your regular crew sample it in the middle of a tough ride. You'll have to take one for the team and ride their bike for a short while. Then, listen for them to "get it" and promptly trade back to finish the ride on your bike. Another convert on the hook!

Granted, this is a little like the drug dealer saying, "first one's free" and smiling at you as they hand you the goods. Such behavior borders on being a little mean, heh heh heh. :sneaky: But, it is for their own good, right? :rolleyes:

What most riders don't realize is how the E-mtb movement is a double top secret conspiracy spawned by the Borg, whose motto is, "you will be assimilated."

Last one into the collective is a rotten egg. :LOL:

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand

But to your point:

Just do what ever makes you happy. Nothing wrong with good hearted banter, but if it gets more shitty than that with closed minded dudes getting angry,,,, find a new group of dudes. Real mates will understand.

Regarding fitness, The ebike can pull your fitness up. I am 7 months into the ebike train and am fitter than non e me. I still ride mtb about 50% of the time with my non E buddies and the other 50% either nigel or e buddies. I'm now at the front of the mtb pack, without using the E.

More time on the bike means more fitness!...

Now regarding full fat E v sl. Consider the major limitation with SL is that you have a limited range and generally no ability to swap the battery out and carry on riding. Will the range of the SL be good enough for your longest days riding? Will there be times where you need to charge the battery not attached to the bike? EG hotel rooms, when you are travelling away.

bonescro

Feb 20, 2022
Pensacola, Florida
Welcome to our world, Tom. I've ridden forever, but am now 60, and arthritis has really messed me up. My buddies also had a bit of an attitude about eMTBs, but I told them I'd rather ride alone anyway (I really would). However, within just a few rides, they all embraced my new ride. They were extremely happy for me, because now I ride more often, and I ride without pain. The fastest guy in the bunch just LOVES it when I ride with him, and we leave the rest for dead. Ironically, we're waiting for the rest, when the everybody waited for me in the past (they were really understanding about it, but I HATED making them wait). Sometimes when we're climbing the final hill on one of our trail systems, I like to punch the TURBO button (I have a Kenevo SL) and give them a really hard time. They playfully curse at me.

Buying an eMTB is definitely the smartest thing I have ever done. I'm not sure I'd be on the trails nowadays if I hadn't.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles