Irritating clicking noise (worse under pedal load) on 2020 S-Works Levo - finally solved

Pumpemup

Apr 24, 2020
UK
I upgraded my 2018 S-Works Levo for the 2020 model last August and things were going really well until recently when I started to experience a clicking sound. This noise seemed to be coming from around the motor area when putting initial pressure on the left crank. The clicking then started to occur more randomly while pedalling and also after coming out of a corner. Then, a few weeks ago the noise became even worse, clicking at every turn of the crank and then creaking under hard pedalling load which was frankly driving me mad. I tried all of the usual remedies, including greasing the seat rails, cleaning and lubricating the seat post, removing the suspension linkage arm and inspecting all of the sealed bearings, cleaning and lubricating the cross-over points on the spokes etc. I also checked all of the torque settings on the various bolts around the motor, on the cranks and around the rear wheel, I cleaned and re-greased the headset, had the rear wheel off and made sure the cassette was tight, but all to no avail. Finally, I decided to remove the motor from its housing, which was a bit of a pain, but I'm really pleased that I did. I noticed a wear mark caused by something rubbing on the motor casing right next to the rear left upper securing eyelet (circled in red on the photo). It had worn through the protective layer and right through to the metal on the motor casing. When I felt inside the motor housing on the bike I discovered a sharp piece of carbon fibre that was clearly causing the wear on the motor case. Feeling pretty sure that I had identified the culprit, I examined this sharp bit more closely to make sure it wasn't designed to be there and then I smoothed it off using some fine sandpaper. After putting the bike back together, my next ride out was an absolute joy...no clicking, no creaking, just the light whirring of the motor and the reassuring sound of those large tyres underfoot.

MTB click1.jpg

Pumpemup

Apr 24, 2020
UK
@Pumpemup did it happen to sound like this please link also

Hi galaga187 - no, unfortunately that sounds far more frequent compared to what I was experiencing. Mine became worse after about 30 minutes of cycling (heat expansion in the motor area I guess) and it only became really audible when I put a lot of pressure on the pedals on an ascent. At that point the clicking noise transformed into a creaking sound, but only once per revolution of the pedals. Your noise is pretty constant and as a wild guess this could be directly from the motor itself. You've positioned your camera on the left hand side of the motor, so I take it you're not hearing it from the drivetrain area on the front right hand side?

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Hi galaga187 - no, unfortunately that sounds far more frequent compared to what I was experiencing. Mine became worse after about 30 minutes of cycling (heat expansion in the motor area I guess) and it only became really audible when I put a lot of pressure on the pedals on an ascent. At that point the clicking noise transformed into a creaking sound, but only once per revolution of the pedals. Your noise is pretty constant and as a wild guess this could be directly from the motor itself. You've positioned your camera on the left hand side of the motor, so I take it you're not hearing it from the drivetrain area on the front right hand side?
Thanks @Pumpemup Mine does only happen when putting high torque through the pedals either side, this was filmed on a steep climb. It might be the motor.

Pumpemup

Apr 24, 2020
UK
An outside possibility is that you've got a cracked (or completely severed) motor spline under one of the cranks. I had a pretty constant clicking noise from around the crank area on my 2018 S-Works that turned out to be a fracture in the motor spline that only became evident when I removed the left hand side crank (see photo).

Motor spline.jpg

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
@Pumpemup did it happen to sound like this please link also

I was getting the same sound on my new 2019 S works Turbo Levo. I have only put about 250 miles on it. The sound seems to be less when I adjusted the chain guide. I moved the chain guide up and the sound seems to go away however I still need to do more steep climbing to see if I still have the sound.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I was getting the same sound on my new 2019 S works Turbo Levo. I have only put about 250 miles on it. The sound seems to be less when I adjusted the chain guide. I moved the chain guide up and the sound seems to go away however I still need to do more steep climbing to see if I still have the sound.
Thanks @Careyj1 I get the same sound even with the chain guide removed.

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Thanks @Careyj1 I get the same sound even with the chain guide removed.
Thanks, my son works at a bike shop and he thinks it's a problem with the motor. I am going to ride today or tomorrow to see if I get the clicking. Only seems to be clicking on steeper climbs with more power and torque.

Let us know what you find out.

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
The crank bolt must have been tight on that BB axle. I think the recommended torque is 50nm, which is quite tight on a bicycle.

Galaga187. I would have a read of the Sprag Clutch thread, then go to the LBS.

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Rode 17 miles with 2,512 feet of climbing and couldn't get the clicking sound again. I had the exact same sound. It was cooler today and the rides when I heard the clicking I climb over 4,500 feet.

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Thanks, my son works at a bike shop and he thinks it's a problem with the motor. I am going to ride today or tomorrow to see if I get the clicking. Only seems to be clicking on steeper climbs with more power and torque.

Let us know what you find out.
my clicking went away however my motor went out at 600 miles. My son thinks the clicking (more a ticking) is a sign that the motor is going to fail. The sound is ticking, lite ticking and it would come and go. The ticking would come with steep climbs in Turbo. Seems like hot days with steep climbing I would hear it the most. I weight 185. I hope this helps others.

Carnie

Jun 16, 2018
New Zealand
I had my motor replaced last week as it failed. Had a brand new motor installed (manufacture date Jan 2020) and within the first few hundred metres I could hear the same noise in your videos when riding up hill of putting the cranks underload. Its been back in the shop and another motor is on order. Fingers crossed that sorts it

ohm13

Jun 10, 2018
Seattle
I had my motor replaced last week as it failed. Had a brand new motor installed (manufacture date Jan 2020) and within the first few hundred metres I could hear the same noise in your videos when riding up hill of putting the cranks underload. Its been back in the shop and another motor is on order. Fingers crossed that sorts it
where do you get "manufacture date"?

Carnie

Jun 16, 2018
New Zealand
where do you get "manufacture date"?
In the thread about the new 4 year warranties and issues, People were posting that in the serial number for the motor on the app the middle section the starts with a 100 then next 2 digits are the year, then next 2 digits are month, then next 2 digits are the day. All these posts have been removed now from the thread but thats how I worked mine out.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
In the thread about the new 4 year warranties and issues, People were posting that in the serial number for the motor on the app the middle section the starts with a 100 then next 2 digits are the year, then next 2 digits are month, then next 2 digits are the day. All these posts have been removed now from the thread but thats how I worked mine out.
The latest updated motors start with 200

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles