"Click sound" under high load.

Sonve

Aug 22, 2019
Norway
I have a specialized Turbo Levo Comp 2020, with GX 11-speed rear derailleur.

The bike makes click sounds under high load. It almost sound like the chain is jumping between the gears, but the rear derailleur is adjusted as accurately as possible. When i try to locate where the sound is coming from, it sounds like it is coming from the motor or the chainring.

Anyone having the same issue? Are there a quick fix i dont know about?

Sonve

Aug 22, 2019
Norway
Hi @muzzman1.

It is not quite the same noise. My noise only comes 1-2 times in a climb, and it is the same sound as when your chain tries to jump out of gear but then jumps back in the right gear. Like one loud "click".

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It depends on the sound, but if it's a random "click/clunk" when you're on the power (pedal hard), then there is a thread about it .. I can't remember any keywords to find it in search though. It was referred to as some other sound.

For a lot of people it went away. For me, it went away after I changed tyres so I'd had the rear axle out. So you could try removing the axle, checking everything and putting everything back.

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
Mine comes and goes. I installed a new set of tires and the noise continues.
I went on a 50km 1500m ride and it went away for most of the ride.
I'm about to go on a ride, I will report back to see if it comes back.

Again, I want to add, if I switch the motor off, the sound STOPS

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7464

Could it be the pawls in the freehub not locating properly? I've had a similar thing on a different bike and it needed the freehub cleaning out and relubing

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
Could it be the pawls in the freehub not locating properly? I've had a similar thing on a different bike and it needed the freehub cleaning out and relubing
Funny you should ask. When I replaced the tires, I had new bearings and rebuilt the freehub.

Let me explain:
It makes that sound when the motor is ON.
If I switch the motor off, the sound goes away.
If I switch the motor on, it comes back.

I just completed a quick 1hr ride.
It did NOT make any sounds, except for about 10 seconds during the 1st 10 mins of the ride.

It is definitely less consistent now since I did that big ride yesterday.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Things that have made mine make a random click noise in the last 2 years.
Rear wheel bearings
Broken rear axle
Free hub prawls broken
Bent cassette teeth
Stiff chain link
Loose and dirty motor mounts.

Most likely the drive side inner axle bearing.
My first set of bearings lasted 650km

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
My 2020 levo also did that when new and now it's gone. I think it might have taken about four months to go away. Never could tell where it was coming from, but chainring was my biggest suspicion. I have a Sram XX1cassette with no pawls so I don't imagine that is the answer. Hope this helps.

At least never broke a chain which I was thinking might happen. It's a scary sound. Question whether the chain is too stiff in the beginning and once it loosens up a bit it doesn't start to climb up on the edge of a chainring tooth, then pop off the tooth under extreme torque, while turning and climbing steep stuff with cadence bogging down in Trail or Turbo assist, which is where it would happen to me.

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
My 2020 levo also did that when new and now it's gone. I think it might have taken about four months to go away. Never could tell where it was coming from, but chainring was my biggest suspicion. I have a Sram XX1cassette with no pawls so I don't imagine that is the answer. Hope this helps.

At least never broke a chain which I was thinking might happen. It's a scary sound. Question whether the chain is too stiff in the beginning and once it loosens up a bit it doesn't start to climb up on the edge of a chainring tooth, then pop off the tooth under extreme torque, while turning and climbing steep stuff with cadence bogging down in Trail or Turbo assist, which is where it would happen to me.
In the case of my video above: The clicking is directly related to the power button for the motor. No sound when OFF, only clicks with the motor in ECO, TRAIL , or TURBO.
The sound lasted for about 70 miles. The bike has about 800 miles on it at this point. It's my 2nd 2019 levo and I got this one Jan 2020. (I ride about 100 miles a week)
The motor was silent until mile 700. Then started clicking until about mile 780.
I did not feel the clicking in the pedals.
To diagnose it I replaced the chain, chain ring, cassette, bearings and rebuilt the freehub. Then I finally figured out it is related to the power being on/off on the motor.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
So,.. went for a ride today, and low and behold, the bike developed a random click just as you described.
One totally destroyed inner axle bearing on the drive side. So up to set number 4 in the rear wheel in 8000km ?‍♂️

Fridge

Nov 17, 2018
Northeast
My mates had a faulty cassette from new, clicking like mad for the first week, it was swapped on day seven and now 10 months its still not returned

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles