Inverter for my van to charge Ebikes

Chris Lagier

May 20, 2021
rhondda, South Wales
I would like to put a power inverter into my Volkswagen Caddy van. I want to charge two bikes when driving or even when parked. I have looked at lots of reviews but I am still not sure what wattage to buy and there has been mention of sine wave? Please can you advise me which inverter is best to purchase. Thanks.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Many power supplies call for pure sine wave. Some inverter suppliers call their products "pure sine wave" when they are not really, it may be best to get a name brand to be safe even though they are probably more $$. Two chargers could be a lot of amps. My charger (Levo SL) specifies about 250 W max in, about 150 W out. 2 x 150 could pull 30 amps from your van battery, it won't do that for long without running the engine.

Chris Lagier

May 20, 2021
rhondda, South Wales
Many power supplies call for pure sine wave. Some inverter suppliers call their products "pure sine wave" when they are not really, it may be best to get a name brand to be safe even though they are probably more $$. Two chargers could be a lot of amps. My charger (Levo SL) specifies about 250 W max in, about 150 W out. 2 x 150 could pull 30 amps from your van battery, it won't do that for long without running the engine.
Thanks for responding. Would you happen to recommend any certain named products. I was looking at getting a 1000 watt inverter. That should be enough wouldn't it or is that just over kill?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Thanks for responding. Would you happen to recommend any certain named products. I was looking at getting a 1000 watt inverter. That should be enough wouldn't it or is that just over kill?

The only brand I know of is Tripp-Lite, quality products but $$$. It is possible your charger may not require pure sine wave, check with the supplier. It is difficult to tell what kind of startup power the charger may take but I would expect a 1000 w inverter to have no trouble with two 250 w chargers. A smaller inverter may be ok but may not work with two chargers started at the same time.

Chris Lagier

May 20, 2021
rhondda, South Wales
Thanks again I will look into that. You said two 250w chargers? I have one battery which is 500w and the other is a 625w. not sure on the chargers, only that the outputs are about 42volts between 2 and 4 amps. cheers.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
i use one of these very good inverters, i have 2x 180ah batteries in my van and i can charge my bike 3 times and still have power for vans electrics for a long weekend allowing for 50% depth of discharge.

Dont suppose there’s a guide on how to install/connect all this up? I’ve one 100ah battery atm but will add another one, I take it when the engine is running the batteries don’t lose any power?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Did they sort out all the kit needed?
Actually, now I think.
The inverter and solar panel came from bimble solar
I went with the victron 1200...
Overkill but I Don't need mains at all now.
2x 130 ah leoch leisure batteries
Simply supplied the Abso 1250 dc-dc charger, fuse box kit and all the cables needed plus the advice
This runs my fridge 24/7 even thru winter and charges my bike no worries

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles