Vans, who's got a van just for adventuring?

BigLee

Jul 12, 2019
Lake District cumbria
I've just bought a transit custom panel van for the sole use of me and my Mrs to increase adventure time by piling it with bikes tents, and the odd motorbike ?
Anybody else do van adventuring? Looking for ideas for rear storage and different configurations for carrying bikes and making life a bit easier, 12v power point in the rear for a pressure washer etc ???

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
After more than a decade of trying to persuade my missus, I finally have the green light to buy a van of my own. Probably going down the well trodden path of a VW T5 with pop top roof and windows.

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
I've got a 2016 Vivaro SWB for carrying motorcycle trail bikes and electric mountain bikes, and occasional overnight sleeping. Not bad, and avoids the VW Transporter fashion tax! :eek:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I’m looking at Citroen space tourer - we hired one in the alps and it was cracking for 5 people 5 bikes with back row seats removed. They have done concept versions too RIP Curl

sisuman

Aug 11, 2019
Vermont USA
I bought a used 2015 MB sprinter crew van. Love it, use for work and play. Had a transit custom before this rig and found it to be very low quality. A used Sprinter is a good value. Mine had 38,000 miles on it when i purchased it.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
We have a 7.5m motorhome with a large garage area (can fit 4 bikes + loads of other stuff in it) for holidays / weekends away, but I'm currently looking at vans for bike transport etc to use for days out with the dog / kids. Using the motorhome for occasional days out isn't really practical because its stored in a storage yard and its so big.

Problem I have with a van is budget / spec creep! I originally thought VW Caddy maxi or Citroen Berlingo so I could get 4 people, 2 bikes inside and 2 outside - but as I've continued looking I've decided (in my head) that the best option for us is going to be a VW Caravelle, Merc Viano (or VClass) or one of the high end "Executive minibus" type vehicles. I like the idea of the flexible interiors with the big (sliding) seats / tables etc etc.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
That looks very cool....(y)

Would be interested to see the storage options with bikes in the back.
Images of bikes in the back - we had the XL version I think.

AAAA7498-BD68-4174-BD4F-0BB8615195A9.jpeg

3A7FED21-967A-4F26-804A-2D7EA3CB6B28.jpeg

6A86C8EF-3FF5-41BB-B495-0C62C228F66B.jpeg

69F4B3BB-81DC-42CF-937B-EC2E61F6A841.jpeg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I do windsurfing kayaking and mountain biking. I have a T5 Shuttle LWB which I bought new 13 years ago. All but the drivers and passenger seat are removed although I sometimes add back in a single rear seat in the winter so 2 of us can escape the elements for a coffee/cake break.
Practically every mile on it is windsurfing, kayaking or biking trips. I built my own racking system and the windsurf gear lives in it full time...…….still room for a kayak on the roof...…...and plenty of room for my bike on a fork mount. The only concession to "camper" is a purpose built steel table with a burner and coffee making supplies and a swivel passenger seat. If it is an away trip I take an air tent and camping "stuff".

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Anyone got a 13amp 240v socket in the van for Charging ebikes?

I've just fitted an Abso 1250dmt dc-dc and mppt solar charger to keep a 240 fridge, lights, sub Chargers and ebike charger going.
I need a pure sine wave inverter, solar panel and another agm battery and a bit of tidying up I'm sorted

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Got the latest transit custom crew cab with the rear kitted out for bike storage including an inverter to charge the bike, dry boots and power a small washer. Works like a dream. Don't use it for sleeping but it drives so well it's now become my main transport.
IMG_20180821_154757.jpg

BigLee

Jul 12, 2019
Lake District cumbria
I like the sound of 240v charging in the van. I'm no electrician so was wondering how to do that? Any tips and websites fot kit and instructions?

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
I like the sound of 240v charging in the van. I'm no electrician so was wondering how to do that? Any tips and websites fot kit and instructions?
I think if you're not sure, I'd advise getting it done professionally. I'm currently looking at a split charge in my Caddy, it's a Euro6 emissions spec with "smart" alternator so not a straightforward relay install, rather a DC-DC charger. There's always the risk of a fire if not done properly, and as soon as you start looking at 240v AC with a inverter that can end up hurting too.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
If you can read a multimeter, you'll be able to wire up an inverter, for sure. As above, decipher which alternator that you have, if you are wiring direct from that. An easy test is, start the vehicle, let it idle for a few minutes, then test the voltage across your main starter battery. If it's not a constant 14+v, it's a smart one. My split charger relay, simply connected to the + of my starter battery, through the relay, to the positive of my leisure battery. When i added solar to top up, once/when my leisure batteries are full, the relay then diverts the additional amps back to my starter.. simples. You can use the vehicle chassis as a neg feed also. Just make sure that you use the correct gauge wire and it's all sufficiently fused. Plenty of useful footage on YT to help you out.. (y)

A quick look on eBay, shows plenty of kits, from £20 upwards.
FORD TRANSIT MOTOR HOME SPLIT CHARGE RELAY KIT- 12V, 30 AMP LEISURE BATTERY | eBay

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge

IMG_20190720_151403.jpg
Here's my setup. I can charge the leisure batteries from solar, the van engine and also from a hookup on a campsite etc using the charger on the right.
I've got 2 batteries as I run a fridge in the van, I reckon you could get away with one as an ebike charging station, you just need the right size invertor.
My charger is 2.5amp @ 230 (Shimano) so 2.5 X 230 = 575 watts minimum, so I got an 800 to be safe.
I'd be wary of cheap invertors as they rarely give the rated output and might give a dirty signal that causes issues with electronics.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles