Internal Power Cable Failure, Levo 2019

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
are you saying that I the promised new cable design or is it a one off mod done by a Spesh dealer? If the latter it looks like they know what they are doing by shortening the cable slightly and making it more flexible so as to avoid whip/strain on the motor plug end.....which is presumably what is causing that plug end to crack. They have also fully sealed the cable onto the motor plug end.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
are you saying that I the promised new cable design or is it a one off mod done by a Spesh dealer? If the latter it looks like they know what they are doing by shortening the cable slightly and making it more flexible so as to avoid whip/strain on the motor plug end.....which is presumably what is causing that plug end to crack. They have also fully sealed the cable onto the motor plug end.
Apparently its the prototype MK4. Its had 100% success rate in customer testing so far ? its got some sort of marine sealant on it.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I was told by Specialized that they would be made available on demand. So once available you can order one via your lbs.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
After 1500 trouble free miles my cable also appears to have failed. Wish I’d checked it turned on before I put it in the car and drove to Cannock.

I have not been out for weeks since I came off and broke my finger, the only thing I can think it’s been very cold and maybe the cable became brittle in the garage.

A hasty call to Chris at Berkshire cycles and if I provide my details he will post me a new cable under warranty, wounding if it will be an updated design.

foggie

Aug 2, 2019
England
Well, my wife's 2020 with only 60km has just failed. Came up with a moisture error message (despite not having been off road yet). Took the battery off and in the house for 4 hours, cleaned the terminals etc and now it's completely dead. It's done such low mileage that it's only been washed once since new with bucket & sponge!
The battery is fully charged & all green lights when plugged in directly to the charger.
Back to Specialized tomorrow, but I'm guessing it's the power cable.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Well, my wife's 2020 with only 60km has just failed. Came up with a moisture error message (despite not having been off road yet). Took the battery off and in the house for 4 hours, cleaned the terminals etc and now it's completely dead. It's done such low mileage that it's only been washed once since new with bucket & sponge!
The battery is fully charged & all green lights when plugged in directly to the charger.
Back to Specialized tomorrow, but I'm guessing it's the power cable.

Yep, or most likely the TCU. Take it out with a torx 10 key and leave it somewhere warm for a few hours. Chances are it will all come back to life.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
If you are able to see the green lights on the battery flash up when you turn on the TCU even if the TCU does not power up it indicates a fault with the wires or possibly the motor and not the TCU as that’s sending a signal to the battery, I learned that last week. Even though the plug is connected you should still be able to see the battery lights if you look closely.

I am just waiting for my new battery lead to arrive from Berksihre cycles, Xmas post means it’s taking a little longer to arrive.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you are able to see the green lights on the battery flash up when you turn on the TCU even if the TCU does not power up it indicates a fault with the wires or possibly the motor and not the TCU as that’s sending a signal to the battery, I learned that last week. Even though the plug is connected you should still be able to see the battery lights if you look closely.

I am just waiting for my new battery lead to arrive from Berksihre cycles, Xmas post means it’s taking a little longer to arrive.
The TCU does not control the green charge level light on the battery......you can charge the battery remote from the bike with no TCU connection. The various combinations of blue and red lights on the TCU indicate an inability to complete the boot up programme either because it failed to recieve a signal from one the components necessary for operation or due to a short circuit. The 4 different fault codes are not really very helpful but if there was a TCU fault code initially but then no lights at all on the TCU I would suspect water ingress in the TCU possibly due to the USB rubber plug not being fixed in place. The TCU fixes onto the top tube with no seal and whilst water from above (e.g rain) is unlikely to be a problem water used for washing areas like the headset can run down the top tube and get between the TCU and frame.....and the USB port is at the top of the TCU. If the USB plug is not fully in place it is an open door into the TCU.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have taped up my TCU and made a gasket to fit between it and frame. I also taped up the 2 in line connectors with amalgamating tape.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
....although I have had no problems when I removed the TCU to do that job I found that the USB plug had not been properly seated!

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
Just passing on the info I was given, I am referring to just the TCU when on the bike and connected to the battery via the connection plug, it made sense after it was explained to me, if you plug the battery in to the motor and don’t press anything the green lights won’t come on right away, if you activate the TCU Power on button and the battery lights come on, the fault with mine but the TCU does not light up then the issue is not with the signal from the TCU but with the signal coming back to the TCU, I hope that make sense, that’s how Chris explained it to me.
Still I did remove the TCU when I was fault finding and I also agree that considering where it’s fixed it’s a poor positing for staying dry.
I should get my new cable next couple of days and will see if it does indeed fix things or if it’s something else. I will update when fitted.

Neilc

Dec 19, 2019
Iom
Just posting this for reference purposes in case this becomes a wider problem for 2019 owners.

I had an issue where I could not get my bike to turn on this week despite having ridden only a few days before without issue.

Did all the usual checks, took battery in and out etc, cleaned contact points but was unable to get the bike to turn on despite a fully charged battery.

Called Chris at Berkshire Cycles who indicated he had a similar failure that day and had replaced an interal power cable to solve it.

Took mine in yesterday and sure enough a new power cable fitted has solved the problem with Chris stating that we would possibly be seeing a newly designed cable in the coming months as the current one has the potential for failure due to the design.

Hopefully this won't be a widespread issue but I have read several peoples thoughts that the current cable is too long and cramped in the current design so just keep this in mind if you encounter power problems.
My 17 has exactly the same issue, just dropped it to the local shop. Any indication of repair cost?

Rob555

Jun 6, 2019
Saltaire
Got up super early for a ride only to find a dead 2019 levo in the garage?. taking it to Harrogate Specialized Store next weekend. Gutted

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Having an issue with my 2020 Expert, can you help @Specialized Rider Care

Had the following happen 3 times now

So after washing (hose pipe with spray attachment) bike wont power on, TCU flashes one red bar for a millisecond and that's it

Stripped it down, cleaned the TCU, all connectors in the motor, battery and wiring harnesses with my compressor, put all back together and still getting one red bar flashing for a millisecond

Now if i leave it for a day or two in my garage (gargae is insulated with a dehumidifier running 24/7 and rarely gets below 12 degrees in there) the bike will power up and be fine until the next wash

Now if i connect the 2020's rosenburger plug to my 2018 Kenevo battery and power that battery on the 2020's TCU lights up and i can cycle through the different modes on the TCU and the 2020 motor works just like normal which seems to point to the 2020 battery getting water ingress when washing and causing it to short until it dries out and then all is ok again

Any ideas how the water could be getting in, i cant see anything obvious

Next step is either swap my battery for a friends and then wash my bike to see if the fault happens again with his battery fitted or just take the bike back to Chris@Berkshire for him to have a try to resolve the issue

Thanks

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So what happens if you connect your battery to your other bike or your mates bike? Assuming the battery casing is not damaged the charging port on the battery is worth checking. Use some contact cleaner and carefully wipe with a lint free cloth.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ps not a good idea using compressed air on contacts. Any moisture present is pushed further into the contact behind the front face.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
I don't have the other bike, just the old spare battery

Not tried my mates battery yet, no damage to the casing, charging port is all fine

Wont use contact cleaner on the bike as Chris@Berkshirecycles says not to, just wipe clean, do not use contact cleaners, no wd40, no Vaseline and Chris says its fine to use an air compressor on the contacts so that's what Ive been doing

If i dont hear from Specilzed Rider care ill just drop the bike into Chris, he always sorts any issues whilst i wait

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes I heard his comments on the last video he did with Rob. I agree it is not a good idea to use water repellants like wd40 etc because they also contain oils as lubricants. Proper electrical contact cleaner is a very different issue. It does repel water but more importantly it leaves no residue. The reason to wipe contacts after application is that contact cleaner is designed to detach oxidisation deposits on the terminals.....that oxidisation occurs on any metal exposed to air especially when it carries an electric current. Moisture accelerates that oxidisation. That said you should only need to use it every couple of months. I doubt very much if Chris advises using compressed air directly on a contact especially if it is or has been damp. If he does....I disagree....and to be fair no lbs has extensive experience of dealing with electronics so that is not a dig at Chris.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
I use contact cleaner at work every day (Isopropyl alcohol) on our machines electrical contacts (part of our cleaning procedures) only reason i don't on use any on the bike is because of Chris's advise plus the fact that the contacts are not the problem, my problem seems to be battery related

In the video you see Chris blow out the battery terminal with a compressor, using compressed air on the contacts is fine (this is another thing we do on the machines at work) the contacts are not wet, Im blowing out any dirt/debris, if the contacts were wet then id dry them with a rag then wipe clean and blow any debris out

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles