Ice 1 - EMTB 0

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Just been out for a great ride around the local area, then the very last downhill section, a bend to the right with a massive patch of thick ice I didn't spot until it was too late.
Slammed down, but saying that I went down with style and commando rolled about 5 yards into some long grass, Neymar would have been proud as punch :cry:
Quick look to see if anyone saw it then started yelping with pain once the coast was clear :LOL:
Knee is gouged and sore but my ankle/heel is really hurting, I can barely walk on it.

So without trawling the forum, I vaguely remember some POC kneepads got recommended on here a while ago, are they any good?

I do have a photo of my knee but I don't want to put you off your Sunday dinners :eek::sick::(

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Shock Doctor range by Troy Lee Designs are very good. Lightweight, washable, breathable robust etc. I've been wearing them for years. They do knee, knee&shin, elbow, and elbow&forearm. I wear mine all year round, won't go out without them because I always fall off when I'm least expecting it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have a pair of Sam Hill's which have been extensively tested. Comfortable and seem to do the job well (they form up with some body heat after a couple of minutes). I think the G-forms look good too.

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
This is what I did for the ice :)

001.JPG

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I was out wednesday last week, after some massive rain.
I don't care about the rain - quite fun to slip around and learn the grip level.

We have some woooden bridges, and one is narrow at the far end.
The last 2 meters is slim and was extremely slippery - green soap after several month with rain.
Front slipped and I came down quite hard.

My Bell 3R fullface helmet took a massive hit on the chinbar - it actually broke.
I was very glad I had shifted to this helmet - otherwise I would have lost several teeth and broke my jar.

This was my first day out with 3DF on my hips, and they did their job.
My shirt with front/rear protection was also very handy.
Knee protectors (winter Leaff, summer Dainese) did what they was supposed to do.

So after a couple of minutes (correcting my handlebars) I could continue around the trail, but the next day I was a bit sore as expected.

So:
WetSoapyPlank 1, eMTB 0, but all good !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles