Giant Trance SX E+ 0 Pro

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
BIG improvement over their previous bikes, both aesthetically and design/eqipment wise. Still lacking behind in the battery department though.

The new controller is a nice touch, one of the better ones i have seen.

HV9A8014-1800x1200.jpg

Trance-E-0-Pro-Studio-Photo-1800x1012.jpg

Trance-SX-E-0-Studio-Photo-1800x1011.jpg

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
The previous versions were so ugly to my customers that we only sold 4 in 2 years. In the same time frame we sold over 100 Levos.

Glad they got rid of that chunky display and the birds nest of wires, cables and hoses.

These look like they’ll ride more like the acoustic Trance than the first generation as well.

If I am going to have to put up with a noisy motor, than I rather have Shimano Steps E8000 system than the Yamaha.

That blue and orange one looks so good.

Bummer we had to part ways with Giant after a 30 year partnership

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Looks very much like the trance or reign , if it rides as well it will be very nice , both superb bikes

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I love my current analogue Trance so will be looking forward to seeing the new e version. When I bought my Trance a couple of years ago shops couldn't keep them on th floor for long, as although they weren't the coolest bike to be seen on, the value for money was outstanding. I am a little concerned though that it comes with a Yamaha motor as the only yammmy motor I've riden was quite punchy on the first touch of the pedal, not good for the technical tight uphills here.
Hopefully there'll be a demo at my LBS

tretopflir

Jun 20, 2018
Shedonopollis
I rode a 2018 Giant full E and really liked the way it rode. I have a Anthem 29er and local Giant dealer is really cool. Also went on long demos of Focus Jam Sam bikes, along with Haibikes All MTN 10.0, 8.0 and Nduro models. Both with Yamaha and Bosch motors. I think the focus had Shimano. On the Haibikes all the Yamaha motors seemed to have the most power and instant on. ( some like it some don't) The Bosch bikes were traded around with the Yamahas during a mix fireroad/ single track climb of 1800'. When we were on the Yam we pulled away from the Bosch bikes in lower assist. In top power we kinda of stayed the same but the Bosch used more Bat power. The focus bikes I was NOT impressed with. The dealer in Santa Cruz,Ca had the reps from both Hiabike and Focus there. Lots of bike to choose from. I think the problem with the focus was they were not set up right. Lots of people testing. Both bikes. I rode shifted bad, missed shifts, brakes seemed poor. The steps motor wasn't a holy grail that everyone raved about. I can say that I wasn't able to get to top speed to test the freewheel. 20 mph in USA. I will blame the shifting and over use of the brand new bikes. I did talk to the rep and he said he can't tune 50 bikes every demo day. They are so popular. My assessment of the focus bikes is not a representation of them.I would like to ride one again that is set up right. Also both the Haibikes and focus seem hard to get unless you preordered. Integrated battery Haibikes are just coming to the dealers and I was told sold out but if want to put a deposit the will try and get another by next spring. Back to the Haibikes we rode with a few guys that had 2017/2018 all mtn higher end 7.0-10.0 bikes. All had the back in shop in first few months. Rear Hyd brake lines and rear shift cables worn/rubbed prematurely and down 30 days waiting for parts. All had to modify the cable runs to protect from doing again. So I saw the new E trance and talk to the rep at my local dealer. Avail mid Aug, All brake and shift runs inside and protected. Yamaha motor (I like it best, but thats me). Specs at or above other for the price point. Good reviews from Emountain bike Mag. My first choice would be the New Haibike with the TQ motor but was told 2020 in the US. Jumping into the E bike craze with the E trance. I know there are mostly Spec people on here and our local shop has a hard time getting them and they seem to only get large size. plus no demo (even around the parking lot). I went local with my business, 2019 Giant E trance SX and shop is 10 min away. Others are 1 hr plus in Nor Cal traffic.

Last edited:

Finch9981

Jun 2, 2018
Tyne and wear
liking the look of this, been considering a levo/kenevo for the last few months but think this is somewhere inbetween the two, love the orange and blue!

tretopflir

Jun 20, 2018
Shedonopollis
The wait is killing me. Dealer showed me the order on Giant site. Says backordered and delivery in week 53. Does anyone know how long after dealers being able to order that Giant delivers(US). They have other 2019 models in stock that released In june.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was in my LBS today, who stock Specialized and Giant E-Bikes, and they are super excited about the new Giants for 2019, to the extent that they are going to get more of them in than the Specializeds for 2019, which is saying something.

They went to the launch and said that Giant have massively stepped up their game for next year, and that they where blown away by the bikes. They have been selling EMTBS since they first came onto the scene so have a lot of experience with them.

Makes me intrigued to try one, as i would never have considered a Yamaha motor or a Giant before.

tretopflir

Jun 20, 2018
Shedonopollis
I test rode everything. Haibike with Yamaha and Bosch. Last years giant ( rode awesome ugly as hell). Jam and Sam with Shimano. I kept liking the Yamaha. Maybe out here on west coast with mountains it seemed stronger and used less battery. Also the instant power when you touch the pedals.some love it ,some don’t . The focus bikes came in a van of 50 and just didn’t seem to do anything good. Like shifting or brakes. I told the reps and he understood cause he just can’t keep 50 bikes in tune. I would give them another shot but decided on the Giant. Local Giant dealer has good service and competition. There are at least 5 within 25 miles. My other LBS has 2 stores and in uppity towards road bikes. They have one spec Levo that’s sat all year. Will look down on you if you want to try it...The owner of the Giant store said same thing you did. Even mentioned it could be lighter by 5-6 lbs. Giant has 0% going on til next Monday too. I hope it comes soon.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
The wait is killing me. Dealer showed me the order on Giant site. Says backordered and delivery in week 53. Does anyone know how long after dealers being able to order that Giant delivers(US). They have other 2019 models in stock that released In june.
I had no idea there were 2019s available when I went shopping in July.
I asked and was shown the 2019 Giant Fathom E+ and I pounced on it. Got it 3 days later Aug 1st.
Staggered release is painful! Hope it gets here soon for you, it looks incredible!

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
BIG improvement over their previous bikes, both aesthetically and design/eqipment wise. Still lacking behind in the battery department though.

The new controller is a nice touch, one of the better ones i have seen.

View attachment 3279

View attachment 3280

View attachment 3281
Can I ask what you mean by "Still lacking behind in the battery department though."
The Giant battery is 500 watts like most other e-bikes; is the Giant battery lower quality, offering less range?

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
The 2019 Giant e-bikes no longer come with a display.
Does anyone know whether the Specialized Turbo Connect Display could work with a Giant e-bike?

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
What I meant is that the battery capacity hasn’t been increased for 2019, unlike some other bikes
I personally don’t think the 700Wh long and thin battery in the Levo is a great step forward, if at all. Yes it offers more range, but most rides that the average ebiker does can be done on a cheaper, lighter 500Wh. What’s more the shape (which I understand is the same even if you have the lighter 500Wh of the cheaper models) makes it extremely awkward to carry a spare.

I think two smaller, squatter 400-500Wh batteries is a far more practical solution for most riders. Being able to piggy back them like on the Focus bikes is even better, but with current cell technologies that’s really only an option on smaller 250Wh packs.

Ps - I do quite like these new 2019 Giants, they are certainly a lot better looking than their predecessors.

99B4B21D-6661-4788-9177-78F933B35B7F.jpeg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Actually I agree with you - my ideal set up would be like the Focus’s with the tec pack range extender, but with a 500wh standard battery.

I believe that Haibike offer something similar on Bosch motor bikes with their rail system, allowing you to mount an adtional 500wh battery onto the frame when needed

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I agree a 250w range extender would be enough even for the long off-road days . Carrying the 500 battery on my back really isn’t much fun combined with a days water and food

Furey

Oct 1, 2018
Poland
Just got mine E+ 2 days ago. It's an absolutely amazing machine. Tested Levos too and decided to go for Giant.

I also ordered 180 mm shaft for my Fox 36 so I'm going to make it even more aggressive than SX with the angle around 65.5

For people asking about delivery times. I ordered mine at 35 and got it on 39 thanks to my amazing bike shop. Right now if you order it in PL your delivery time is 16 next year.

Did 2 rides so far and I'm super impressed. I was testing Giant and Spec ebikes every year since 2015 and decided that now is the good time for purchase and it was spot on. It's not as light as Spec which I don't mind but dammmmmm this geo gets work done.
WPqI4fm.jpg

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Just got mine E+ 2 days ago. It's an absolutely amazing machine. Tested Levos too and decided to go for Giant.

I also ordered 180 mm shaft for my Fox 36 so I'm going to make it even more aggressive than SX with the angle around 65.5

For people asking about delivery times. I ordered mine at 35 and got it on 39 thanks to my amazing bike shop. Right now if you order it in PL your delivery time is 16 next year.
Glad you like you new bike, but I don't understand the numbers... 35? 39? 16?

Furey

Oct 1, 2018
Poland
Glad you like you new bike, but I don't understand the numbers... 35? 39? 16?
For some reason Giant doesn't tell you "we will deliver your bike x". They will provide you with a specific week at which they aim.

So i placed my order on 35th week which is 4th week of August and got my bike on 39th which is last week of September.

So if you order new bike in Poland now your delivery time is April next year :)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Wow - April next year, that is a long time away! I'm not sure even the first batch has made it to the UK yet, but that would definitely put me off ordering one. It makes Canyon look positively prompt... ;)

Last edited:

Furey

Oct 1, 2018
Poland
Wow - April next year, that is a long time away! I'm not sure even the first bath has made it to the UK yet, but that would definitely put me off ordering one. It makes Canyon look positively prompt... ;)
Yeah...my friends are looking at Canyon too. They massively underestimated how good changes can boost bike sales :)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yeah...my friends are looking at Canyon too. They massively underestimated how good changes can boost bike sales :)
How is the motor at high cadence? I know the old Yamaha motor did not like going above 90 and support tapered off markedly...

Furey

Oct 1, 2018
Poland
How is the motor at high cadence? I know the old Yamaha motor did not like going above 90 and support tapered off markedly...
Today I went as far as 115 rpm and it felt great. No power drops or any noticeable difference. I tried the same on eco which should support up to 110 and I felt a small power loss.

So I would say that Giant says the truth on their website. You get up to 110 on first 2 ECO modes and 120 on the higher ones.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Don't Giant have a custom tune on the yam motors? My understanding is that their Yamaha motor/Panasonic battery package is unique to them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles