Hybrid braking system Braking-Hope

Dr. Ergal

Mar 4, 2020
Italy
Yep !! I know it sounds odd and bizzarre, but this is an idea I've been having in my mind for a lot.
Just a brief summary.
At the moment of the purchase, I asked the seller to mount on my Level a Tech3 E4 braking system in the place of the stock Sram Code unit (never found a good feeling with this system).
Everything was fine; the Hope unit has a superb touch, extreme precision and stunning look :love:

But - yes, thers is a "but" - I 've been always complaining the fact that a MASSIVE effort on the lever is requested to have a strong braking force. The Hope calipers can strongly bite the rotors, of course, but they need my hands to smash the levers very hard to get it. To give you an example, the Magura MT7 system installed on my previous bike was astounding, providing massive force at the price of a very low effort of my fingers.

When Braking In.Ca.S system came out on the market, I immediately had the idea to replace the Hope pumps with the Braking ones. This (I thought) could give the british calipers the proper force I require.
You may aske me "why don't keep the entire Braking system?"
For 3 reasons, essentially:
1) I do LOVE the look of the Hope calipers
2) Hope pads are slightly longer; it should theoretically grant a better thermal exchange capacity
3) I do LOVE the look of the Hope calipers :love::ROFLMAO:

Saving the required money took one year, but finally I got it, so I took the occasion of this day of vacation (8 december) to spend one day in my garage to play with my toys :giggle:

My garage is a lovely place to stay, to me...
1639031338744.png

1639032880991.png

To evaluate the differences, I decided to install the whole Braking unit at the front, while I replaced the pump only at the rear, as per my original plan.
Just a note; the thread of Braking and Hope braided hoses are identical, so you can easily switch between them with no adjustment or adaptors

The very fine cokpit look given by the Hope units is now more "motorcycle style"
Before:
1639031679508.png

After:
1639031696102.png

I hope to get time to test it, so I can have a proof from the field about my fool idea. I really hope to get good impressions, so that I could replace the Braking caliper at the fork with the english one
So far, my bike looks like that...
1639031796132.png

I'll keep you updated (y)

1639032885392.png

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles