Saint/Hope 220 Brake Contact Issue?

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
I just installed a new hope 220 rotor to my 2020 Kenevo using a Shimano 203 adapter which was the only +40 option I had available locally. As you can see from the pic, it looks like the pads should be engaging with, say 1-2mm of the rotor than they are. On the front rotor, the pad contact is even and
Saint rear.jpg
about 1-2mm lower than on this one.

First off, is this an issue? What can I do to get the caliper 1-2mm lower? I thought I might run into this by using the 203 adapter. Any help from one of the forum wizards would be greatly appreciated!! Apologies for the bad pic, I hope you can see what I am talking about!

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
I would try taking taking one of those spacers out below the bolt and see if that works. If not take all the spacers out.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
First off, is this an issue? What can I do to get the caliper 1-2mm lower? I thought I might run into this by using the 203 adapter. Any help from one of the forum wizards would be greatly appreciated!! Apologies for the bad pic, I hope you can see what I am talking about!

Youve used a +43mm adaptor, so it would be 'perfect' for a 223mm rotor. This means the caliper is 1.5mm further from the axle, and may be 1.5mm overhanging the rotor. Any overhang of the pad is bad, its less braking, possible damage to pads, possible pads bottom out on each other once worn preventing effective braking. So if you have no overhang it should be fine. If you want a propoer adaptor Hope (unsurprisingly) make them, version M.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I would try taking taking one of those spacers out below the bolt and see if that works. If not take all the spacers out.

Spacers on top of the caliper mean nothing as long as the threads are the right length into the adaptor. Those look like he has just used bolts at hand as you can see they are too long already and sticking out the bottom of the adaptor, but they dont touch the frame so its perfectly fine.

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
Youve used a +43mm adaptor, so it would be 'perfect' for a 223mm rotor. This means the caliper is 1.5mm further from the axle, and may be 1.5mm overhanging the rotor. Any overhang of the pad is bad, its less braking, possible damage to pads, possible pads bottom out on each other once worn preventing effective braking. So if you have no overhang it should be fine. If you want a propoer adaptor Hope (unsurprisingly) make them, version M.

Thanks for the response, how would I know if I have pad overhang? In regards to the adapter from Hope, it was my first choice but it is not available locally and Jenson USA was out of stock.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Thanks for the response, how would I know if I have pad overhang? In regards to the adapter from Hope, it was my first choice but it is not available locally and Jenson USA was out of stock.

You might be able to order one directly from hope (you can in the UK) or their distributor.

Regarding overhang, looking down through the pads you should be able to see if the edge of the pad material is higher than the rotor edge. You obviously have a good amount of braking surface, being only 1.5mm off, so easiest way is to go for a short spin and then pull the pads out to see where the pad has contacted the rotor, if its 99% youll be fine until you get a new adaptor, if its 90% (for example) you might want to wait.

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
You might be able to order one directly from hope (you can in the UK) or their distributor.

Regarding overhang, looking down through the pads you should be able to see if the edge of the pad material is higher than the rotor edge. You obviously have a good amount of braking surface, being only 1.5mm off, so easiest way is to go for a short spin and then pull the pads out to see where the pad has contacted the rotor, if its 99% youll be fine until you get a new adaptor, if its 90% (for example) you might want to wait.
Awesome! Appreciate the help!

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
Spacers on top of the caliper mean nothing as long as the threads are the right length into the adaptor. Those look like he has just used bolts at hand as you can see they are too long already and sticking out the bottom of the adaptor, but they dont touch the frame so its perfectly fine.

Ah yes, I did miss that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles