How To Fix Dead Shimano Power Switch....

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
If you have a Shimano equipped bike, with Shimano Battery and Shimano power switch pay attention.

I was on vacation with my 2021 Heckler. When I went to go for a ride the power switch would only flicker, when I continued trying to power up the bike by pushing the button several times the light stopped flickering completely .

I called Shimano Dealer Customer Service at 1 Holland, Irvine CA and got the following information.

The button has a battery inside and can be recharged if only dead and not defective.

If you want to try to recharge the battery in the switch, you will need a SHIMANO PC connection device (SM-PCE02) with the proper cables.

We ordered the proper cables and should have them by Friday and will give it a proper try.

Unbeknownst to us, we have changed out 5-6 dead switches in the last two years because the batteries had died, not knowing they could have been charged.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
You don't need the Shimano PC connection device to charge the power button. I've had this happen a few times on my Devinci AC.

You need to be able to access the hard power button on the actual battery and get that to turn on which will then power on the on/off switch.
And then over the next couple days keep turning the bike on which in turn keeps recharging the little battery inside of the on/off switch.

It's a pretty stupid design that when you charge your ebike it doesn't charge the on/off switch at the same time.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I always assumed it charged when you were either charging the bike or had the bike turned on?

Pretty poor if that's not the case IMO

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If whatever battery it uses only has a pos and negative connection I doubt very much if it gets a charge at all! The battery will be marked as rechargeable and quote its nominal capacity and charge capacity (which will be slightly higher). The normal practise on most bikes is for the on off switch to have a stand alone battery which only serves to switch the main battery on remotely. The main battery then powers all the system ...possibly including the Led in the on off switch. This why most bikes provide an access point in the downtube for the main battery on off button should the remote switch battery go flat.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
The LED in the switch is powered by the internal switch battery as it still lights up if the main battery is removed.

I'm pretty sure it is rechargeable as the shimano software gives the option to do just that as mentioned above.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If it is rechargeable there is no reason for it not to be charged by the main battery... and no reason for it to be flat unless the bike is left unused for a pretty extended period of time, or the battery is US. If it has depleted because of extended storage it should charge fairly quickly by switching the bike on using the main battery switch.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
If it is rechargeable there is no reason for it not to be charged by the main battery... and no reason for it to be flat unless the bike is left unused for a pretty extended period of time, or the battery is US. If it has depleted because of extended storage it should charge fairly quickly by switching the bike on using the main battery switch.

It only charges when the bike is powered on.

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
All well and good - but I'm now stuck with my wife's Canyon ON with a dead battery in the Satellite ON/OFF switch and no access to the main switch on the battery. Come on Shimano and Canyon - get it together. Of course I'm nowhere near a shimano center... ugh! Taped a bolt to the main battery switch and got it to turn on when shoving battery in frame - but with no way to "let go" of the switch - both satellite and console turned off in a few seconds. Open to insights and ideas!

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
All well and good - but I'm now stuck with my wife's Canyon ON with a dead battery in the Satellite ON/OFF switch and no access to the main switch on the battery. Come on Shimano and Canyon - get it together. Of course I'm nowhere near a shimano center... ugh! Taped a bolt to the main battery switch and got it to turn on when shoving battery in frame - but with no way to "let go" of the switch - both satellite and console turned off in a few seconds. Open to insights and ideas!
Is there not a little rubber gromet in your downtube, around where the bottle cage mounts are? You're supposed to remove that and use a 5mm allen ket to press the battery switch.

Gordon

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
Hi Gordon - Many bikes have access through the frame - unfortunately the 2021 Canyon doesn't. Had to jury-rig a bolt to the button on the battery and then lever the battery onto the inside of the frame to flick the button on (but not hold it in). Was a bit of a PITA but finally got it. After 3-4 times of this and letting the bike stay on for 30' or so the satellite switch was charged up enough to breathe on its own again.

Grommet - Canyon and Shimano - pay attention!

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Hi Gordon - Many bikes have access through the frame - unfortunately the 2021 Canyon doesn't. Had to jury-rig a bolt to the button on the battery and then lever the battery onto the inside of the frame to flick the button on (but not hold it in). Was a bit of a PITA but finally got it. After 3-4 times of this and letting the bike stay on for 30' or so the satellite switch was charged up enough to breathe on its own again.

Grommet - Canyon and Shimano - pay attention!
My bike times out in about 5 minutes, how did you keep it on for 30 without turning off?

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
My bike times out in about 5 minutes, how did you keep it on for 30 without turning off?
I just hit a button so it would not turn off. If it did, would just use battery lever/screw hack to push battery up and flick battery switch on again.

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
I’m sorry - I wasn’t clear. I would hit the mode button (off, eco, trail) every once in a while to keep bike on. When it did time off (I got distracted), I would push the battery back up which had a screw taped to the button on the battery, which would turn the battery/bike back on and continue to charge the satellite switch. Had to use battery as lever as button on battery must be quickly pressed and released, not pressed and held down. Hope this clarifies.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Went back to my 2021 Spectral:ON bike that I haven't turned on in a year. The SW300 button is dead and won't charge by any methods. Charging via PCE02 goes up to 45-49% for 20 minutes, then it fails with an error. If restarted immediately, it starts at 20-30%. After 5 minutes of waiting without charging, it starts from 0%. Canyon engineers once again showed their talent and placed the hole for the bottle mount in 2 cm from the main battery button. Would have been a simple solution for "emergency" situations.

Looks like the SW300 power button is a consumable item that needs to be replaced every 2-3 years. Thanks to this kind of engineering from Shimano/Canyon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles