Shimano Battery Lock Jammed - how to fix?

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
I cannot get the key into the lock of Shimano E-8000 Internal downtube battery. It has got filled up with dirt as the lock cover is just rubbish and hard to get in place.

The Key will just not insert more than a few mm.

Bike is a Devinci AC XT.

Any ideas to either clear the lock (I have tried loads of GT 85 into the lock barrel already) of dirt or how to replace?

This is the bike

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 12.17.11.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Use some thin but stiff wire to go into the lock ( something like a paper clip would do) and dislodge any dirt in there. The dirt will probably break up as dust better if it is dry. As you push the wire into the barrel you also have to lift the lock pins so go progressively. Again it may help if you can angle the lock so gravity plays a role.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
If gt85 didnt work which was going to be my suggestion try some gt85 with Interdental Brushes like piksters or airbrush cleaning brushes (although they do shed bristles so I would use the flossers). If your hand gets tired you can pop the piksters in a dill on low speed.

A more nuclear option use brake cleaner to first disolve the grease inside the lock hopefull unsticking the dirt then GT85 and a brush to dislodge it. It could ruin the lock though, you want to at least repack it with grease after.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles