How often do you service your suspension?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I tend to be pretty good and do a lower leg & air can service every 50hrs of riding time (although I don't change the seals each time on the shock if they look in good condition). I do tend to push the 200hr service to 309hrs though, but a lot of my riding is on bridleways during the week when I just pop out for an hour to be on the bike.

I seem to be the only one in my riding group who does any maintenance on my suspension though. Am I in the minority, overly anal camp? Or just being sensible. Or... stupid for pushing the 200hr service out?

What do you all do?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Coil shocks go in every year or 2 (on the lesser used DH bike). Change the fork fluids every 6 months then away for a full service every year or 2 again.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Once a year for me regarding lower leg service but I use two bikes. The rockshock forks are a lot easier than fox ones. Full blown service depends when I can be arsed to spend the time.
Rear shocks are moustache own make and just get an aircan service.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Twice a year back & front & given the amount of riding I do, it's a bit on the low side if Rockshox's 50 hour interval is true. Definitely pull dirty oil out of the legs after winter, so I guess it's fair enough.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't bother with lower leg services or air can services on the shock. What I do is to keep the stanchions clean and lubed (that includes the dropper as well). Then every year or 1200 miles whichever comes last, they go for a proper service by someone like TF Tuned or the designated service agent for the fork/shock (but mostly TF Tuned because I like them).
I've been riding all year round in abrasive conditions since 2008 and I've had no problems yet.

Someone I used to know was quite proud that he had NEVER done anything AT ALL to his Fox suspension for the seven years that he had owned them. But the anodising was seriously worn from the stanchions and none of his damping controls worked. He said that he was still happy with his fork and shock. I thought that they must have grown used to each other over the years and could have done better. :eek:

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
I don't bother with lower leg services or air can services on the shock. What I do is to keep the stanchions clean and lubed (that includes the dropper as well). Then every year or 1200 miles whichever comes last, they go for a proper service by someone like TF Tuned or the designated service agent for the fork/shock (but mostly TF Tuned because I like them).
I've been riding all year round in abrasive conditions since 2008 and I've had no problems yet.

Someone I used to know was quite proud that he had NEVER done anything AT ALL to his Fox suspension for the seven years that he had owned them. But the anodising was seriously worn from the stanchions and none of his damping controls worked. He said that he was still happy with his fork and shock. I thought that they must have grown used to each other over the years and could have done better. :eek:
I have never done anything to my Rockshox Revelation Fork and Deluxe Shock for 4 years (since I purchased my bike). I keep the suspensions clean (wipe down the stanchions before every ride) and lube them (slick honey or equivalent) about twice a year; the front and rear suspensions continue to work well.

I would rather save the $150-$200 yearly by not servicing my shock and fork, and buy new ones when they no longer work well.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I ride 2500+ miles a year and do a lowers service every 3 month and a seal kit every other service. In between I keep every as clean as possible. Rear shock is a avalanche Woodie and has almost 2000 miles on it. I recently cleaned/checked it and it was still perfect so I put it back on the bike. I have all the parts when it finally does need something.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Quite the variety of responses (to be expected I guess!). Even if doing the 200hr service yourself, the kit is the best part of £90, plus all the oils etc. I can understand the need for an aircan and lower leg service as both are exposed to the dust / wet / dirt so can get contaminated, but the dampers are sealed so that shouldn't be an issue. Car dampers last for 1000s of hours without being touched. And they're a fraction of the cost of a set of forks!

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Quite the variety of responses (to be expected I guess!). Even if doing the 200hr service yourself, the kit is the best part of £90, plus all the oils etc. I can understand the need for an aircan and lower leg service as both are exposed to the dust / wet / dirt so can get contaminated, but the dampers are sealed so that shouldn't be an issue. Car dampers last for 1000s of hours without being touched. And they're a fraction of the cost of a set of forks!
The design constraints are completely different for car components though. Weight is far less of a constraint, the very large damped mass means that seals can be a lot beefier without worrying so much about stiction, and just generally everything doesn't have to be designed so close to / past the limit. For example, talk to any bearing manufacturer and all bike bearings are fairly dramatically underspecified for the load they take on a bike.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm generally pretty meticulous on the 50 hour service intervals and normally get them done exactly on time, though I have been caught out when asleep a few times.

It would be a lot easier if they'd suggested a 46 hour service interval. Then you've got a couple of hours to do the service and you can set aside the same time to do it every two days.

I did miss one once, though I have to admit I couldn't really feel any difference in the fork or the shock.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
No strict timing as who counts the actual hours of riding?

I do the lowers & air can couple of times a year - gut feel on whether I've been hammering the bike or before a trip away. Sometimes it's just an excuse to have a beer tucked away in the garage tinkering around.

Full damper service once a year as that looks like I could mess it up and I send that to Suspension Inc who do the fork and shock at a really reasonable rate with great service.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I'm lucky that one of my regular riding buddies is Fin Paton who owns Full Factory Suspension (he's ex-TF Tuned) so I'm able to keep on top of things really easily. I don't monitor hours, but forks get a full service and a lower lube annually, and rear shock is serviced annually on both bikes. Ish. Unless they feel like any additional care is needed.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
No need to replace all the seals if you do the basic maintenance regularly (6-12 months) - the seals will last much longer. Buy some oils and Slickoleum and spend an hour servicing your suspension. Feels so much better for it and oil doesn't cost much. It's not rocket surgery.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
No need to replace all the seals if you do the basic maintenance regularly (6-12 months) - the seals will last much longer. Buy some oils and Slickoleum and spend an hour servicing your suspension. Feels so much better for it and oil doesn't cost much. It's not rocket surgery.
Absolutely. I've got all of the parts for the 50hr services and they're dead easy and quick to do. Given the cost of forks and shocks, I'd prefer to maintain them properly rather than knacker them.

But... I'm not convinced by the need to replace all the seals and damper oil at the times they specify, so leave them a little longer. Mainly given the rather high price of the kits. As you say, I'm of the belief if I keep up to date with the 50hr services, that should alleviate most issues.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Does anyone else use the Fox S.H.I.T.S ? (Suspension Hours Intelligent Timer System)

1686844525537.png

It's smaller than it looks, only about 8cm tall and it replaces your top cap.

The designs quite ingenious as it keeps the timer vertical no matter what the angle of the bike is, enabling the device to maintain timing accuracy in all conditions.

This is the Kashima coated Factory model, but there are alternative versions and you can choose the sand colour.

When you're not riding you just set the timer level and it pauses.

timcking

Oct 11, 2021
arider
My current bike is a 2010 Santa Cruz Tallboy I bought new. I grease the rear suspension leak monthly. As for the shocks, I clean and lube the stanchions after every ride, but have never needed to service them internally. I check the pressures every couple of years or so.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
A service interval of 47hrs, 52min, 8sec makes more sense to me. Y’all need to fix your atomic clocks.

…or service your shocks eventually. 👍🏻

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I haven’t owned a bike long enough to deal with it. The current bike will stick around, so I’m guessing around 500 hours or so.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I tend to be pretty good and do a lower leg & air can service every 50hrs of riding time (although I don't change the seals each time on the shock if they look in good condition). I do tend to push the 200hr service to 309hrs though, but a lot of my riding is on bridleways during the week when I just pop out for an hour to be on the bike.

I seem to be the only one in my riding group who does any maintenance on my suspension though. Am I in the minority, overly anal camp? Or just being sensible. Or... stupid for pushing the 200hr service out?

What do you all do?
First proper service a few months ago. 7500 miles nearly four years old. I can't say I feel that much difference. I got away with it so maybe not wait so long next time.

Formulasuper

Mar 9, 2022
Atlanta
I know this sounds crazy and it probably is, but I rode a 2022 Scott Strike 920 emtb 8,565 miles without any suspension service and I was still setting a few local trail KOMs. I’m age 73 so evidently the bike was still performing pretty good.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I know this sounds crazy and it probably is, but I rode a 2022 Scott Strike 920 emtb 8,565 miles without any suspension service and I was still setting a few local trail KOMs. I’m age 73 so evidently the bike was still performing pretty good.
What forks and shock did the Strike have?

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Reading this thread- sounds a bit like servicing your car (gifted the components are less complex).

Do it on 10k p/a religiously, do it a bit later with MOT....... do it when you remember/can be arsed/something is wrong.

No real right way..... but if you like tinkering with the bike and a beer when you can't ride then it's an easy and worthwhile pastime.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles