Suspension service intervals ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Having only ever owned Rockshox, I got used to their service intervals. 50hrs for lowers and cans and 200hrs for a full service. I worked it out as kilometres traveled. Average speed 20kmh x 50 hr = 1000km.
Given this I’d service the lowers and air can every 1000km and do the full service after 4000km traveled.

Now I got this Fox rear shock and the recommended service intervals are 30hrs and 100hrs. So that’s like every 600km and 2000km. I do all my own servicing and apparently can only do the air can service and have to send the shock to a service centre to get the full service. That would mean at least 3 times a year at a cost of $600au. I can’t find a full service kit to buy to even do the full service on the shock, so looks like I’m forced to send it to the shop.

Do you think it would be safe to stretch out the service intervals to 50 and 200 hrs like Rockshox ?

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
Imho. do the air can service as usual to keep things smooth and send the shock to service once in a season. If you notice issues in damper performance then do the service early.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Apart from ensuring that before every ride the fork and shock stanchions and seals are clean and lubed, then wiped clean, I do nothing.
Then once per year or every 1000 miles, whichever comes last, I send both off for a proper service. I have been following this routine for 11 years and so far I've had no problems with any of my suspension. No replacement parts, no advisory warnings, nothing.

Where I ride the most is very sandy. Dry and dusty in summer, wet and abrasive in winter.

It used to concern me a little bit that I wasn't doing a lower leg service after 20 hours or whatever. But when I never had any problems or any lack of performance that I could perceive, I just let it go. :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Distance travelled has no real bearing on whether or not a shock/fork requires servicing. Neither does hours of use.
Frequency/type of use, actual usage and conditions do. As does your bike cleaning regime.
Also pay attention to your suspension performance. a shock/fork can require a service/repair just through normal use in way less riding time than manufacturers specified intervals

lmartins

Sep 19, 2018
Portugal
How many of you do the loweres maintenance by themselves. Feeling like my suspension could use some maintenance and wondering if I should venture into doing it myself. No good service center around here, so sending them to Fox means a couple weeks without bike. Just not sure about the hassle of getting the parts, consumables, etc.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How many of you do the loweres maintenance by themselves. Feeling like my suspension could use some maintenance and wondering if I should venture into doing it myself. No good service center around here, so sending them to Fox means a couple weeks without bike. Just not sure about the hassle of getting the parts, consumables, etc.
Get them from TFTuned. Not only will they sell everything you need, but they do servicing and upgrades too. They are also very helpful on the phone.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District

I do my rockshoxs, good clean new oil and butter grease, easy job and keeps them plush.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I didn't do my lowers till about 120hrs. Oil and foam rings were pretty bad. Luckily I have 5wt and 15wt fork oil, and vaseline works fine for rubber parts and seals. Now I've scheduled them for 50hrs and ordered foam rings, crush washers etc. I've never service forks on two of my ancient analogue bikes - I'm going to do them next :oops:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles