Shock servicing intervals & warranty

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
The selector switch for "firm/medium/full" on my jade X coil shock isn't working anymore after a ride yesterday. The shock is stuck on full squish. It's one year old to the day.
I contacted the local importer/builder & he thinks it is up for an annual service "The switch only does that when either the bladder is run too low or the switch is left on when descending or ridden in hard terrain so will need a rebuild either way"
He's a pretty solid guy with a good rep but I can't help but wonder if it should be a warranty issue? I admit it gets a hiding - not really with big jumps but with drops & my pretty shit riding style but 1 year old?
Anyways the servce is $200 NZ & $90 for the full kit if needed. That's 1/3 of the price of the shock.

What are your guys thoughts? DO you guys get your shocks serviced regularly or only whne they go wrong?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I contacted the local importer/builder & he thinks it is up for an annual service "The switch only does that when either the bladder is run too low or the switch is left on when descending or ridden in hard terrain so will need a rebuild either way"

That's a steaming load of goat poop. But what do I know, I'm not a local importer/builder.

The warranty on that shock is two years, and the recommended service is every one-hundred hours. That doesn't mean that the controls will fall apart after 101 hours if you don't service the shock. Can you get the shock warrantied by someone other than the joker you're talking to? With the advice he's giving, I wouldn't trust him to do a repair.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On my manual bikes I got my suspension serviced after one year or 1000 miles, whichever came last. Has never let me down.
My emtbs average a faster speed, so I make it one year or 1200 miles, whichever comes last. Not let me down yet.

Unless I notice a problem before then of course. Never have though.:)

My suspension and dropper stanchions get cleaned and lubed sometime after the last ride but before the next one, without fail.

Later edit: I don't use the bike for commuting, which would not work for those guidelines.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Once a season. I used to run Cane Creek DBAir shocks but it was getting so expensive to service them (there was always something else wrong with it other than the regular 100 Service) so I switched to a coil (Ohlins TTX22M). It still cost me $250. Repair Centers/Distributors are not only in business to make a living but they also offer a guarentee that it is done properly and nothing is missed (they have fancy test equipment). I would hate for my suspension to fail when I need it the most. That being said, if there is a warrentee on the shock, the manufacturer should honor it. I would contact DVO directly but they have that catch all phrase..
"We have a full 2 year warranty on all of our suspension products. This covers any problems that occur from manufacturing not from the user."

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yeah I'm sure it should be covered by warranty. The guy I'm dealing with is the DVO importer. I'm thinking that I've done nothing wrong, it's one year old & it's not working so should be covered by warranty.
By my illogical thinking if I have to pay nearly $300 /year for a service then it's only really good for 2 years because by the time you're up for the 3rd service you'd have paid the amount for a new one. Better to not service it at all & get it fixed when it's broken or replace it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Disclaimer : never dealt with DVO and have no idea who your dist is in NZ.
but a one year old shock still in the possession of the original owner (With purchase receipt) should be covered by warranty. When the distributor assesses/ services warranty claims they can deem damage from the item to be from neglect past its service interval or otherwise damaged by user as neither of those are covered by warranty.
The good news is most distributors are fairly decent and replacement FOC is fairly common.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I talked to an independent suspension guy & I think what he says makes sense.
I've done nearly 2500Kms of reasonably rough riding over the past year & he thinks that a seal may have worn out. It does need a service & if there is something that is not normal wear & tear but is damaged then that would be warranted.
Not being visible makes it harder to assess the problem.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Service intervals are put in place (eg. 50hrs, 100hrs, 200hrs) to have fluids/greases renewed and sealkits replaced.
at 2500km of off road miles you are long passed every recommended service interval
;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles