How often do you replace your chain?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Checked mine after about 6 months, was reading 1.1 stretch/wear; left it for another 6 months - was fine. 2400 miles.

Replaced the chain, cassette and ring last week not because they were failing (they were fine) but id done a man thing and bought replacements during lockdown because I’d conjured up justification in my head ?

This year, will check it monthly ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I check every few months until it gets past 0.6%, then check more frequently. Unless I'm doing an experiment, (doing one now) I would not normally run chain past 0.7%.

I also examine the cassette and ring. Also checking for poor shifting.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
An experiment, eh?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Was changing maybe 1k miles , got sick of it so now just running till it pops and replace chain , cassette and chainring , current chain nearly 1% so hardly check now. Bike done 5k miles and only on 2nd cassette. Change gear sympathetically helps

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Just checked mine at 400 miles and it's still reading 0.25
l've cleaned and degreased it regularly, don't fancy replacing it any more than necessary at £50-80 a time.
Sram 12 speed

Raffe

Mar 2, 2021
Sweden
I’ve been MTBiking for 25years but I’m new to eMTB and I’m really surprised how fast the chain wears on a eMTB. I’ve just changed a chain after just 500km because the chain checker read 0,5.
Could probably used it a bit longer but I rather change the chain more often and save the cassette and chain ring.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
First chain and front sprocket (15t) changed after 1000 miles showing 0.75 wear. No skipping with new chain.

another 1000 miles and did the same but skipping in high gears so I had to change the cassette also.

In future when I replace the second chain I’ll run everything into the ground as it seems my cassette will not accept a 3rd new chain.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
I'm experimenting too but my experiment looks rubbish compared to the one above, I'll do a more interesting one next time.
I fitted the third chain at about 700 miles due to wear but it skipped/jumped so I put the old one back on and am up to 900 miles now. I'm going to run it to death then put the first one back on and see if it still works with the cassette. I know it shouldn't but I'm experimenting!
I've done it by the book and it's expensive...

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l thought the chain was replaced at 0.75

No wonder there's a shortage of chains if people are changing them at 0.5

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would not use a chain-checker as a replacement decision tool. As far as I'm concerned they are a useful tool for swiftly keeping an eye on chain wear. Before making a scrapping decision, I would remove the chain and stretch it out on a flat surface (newspaper on the kitchen worktop, chez moi). Measure 100 links with a steel tape measure and compare the measurement with what a new chain would be , ie 50". For accuracy, don't use the hook end of the tape, instead centre one of the major markings over a rivet, get a helper to do that while you take care of the business end.
50-3/8" divided by 50" is 0.75% wear (stretch, whatever). You should easily be able to estimate down to 1/32" because the markings on an Imperial tape measure will be at intervals of 1/16". That will give you accuracy down to 0.06%, which is more than enough for the job!

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
When l was a kid in the 1970's we NEVER replaced a chain.
The bike would get left out in all weathers.
lf the chain was lucky it would get oiled before it seized solid with rust.

After that it was expected to work normally again until it actually started to squeak from lack of oil.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Other than from crash damage, chains on kids bikes still rarely ever need replacing over the entire life of the bike.
Why? because they generally use cheaper/heavier more durable chains and cassettes AND they generally don't actually get ridden very far, almost never in bad conditions and the drivetrain is pretty much never subjected to high loads.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
All true

Although we did many miles on our bikes back then, there were no computers, no social media and only three TV channels.
Daytime TV was only at weekends and on weekdays kids TV lasted until the news at around 5.45pm.
At other times we were expected to "play out" and much of this was done on bikes. l
did look after my bike though!
l had a Raleigh Chopper and despite in retrospect it being awful to ride, did hundreds of miles on it over the Summer holidays.

As a teenager l cycled to my dads every weekend, a round trip of 40 miles (not on the Chopper!!) But on a home built version with apehangers, a banana seat and three speed hub gears.
But at least full size wheels.

l could do the 20 miles in 90 minutes. Eventually l got a racing bike, a Raleigh "Record" that weighed about 20kg but at least it had six speed derailleur gears and proper road bike tyres.

My time for the ride to my dads plummeted to 75 minutes.

l don't think l could get near that time now, l must give it a go sometime.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My daily commute is 18miles each way. On my roadbike it takes me 50-60minutes in the morning and 60-70mins home in the evening (more climbing).
By the sounds of it we're probably similar ages.

Raleigh Records weighed less than 13kg

You should buy yourself a modern roadbike. They're ace.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
My neighbour has been riding forever (acoustic), rides 2 / 3 times a week and gives his bike a once over ever 2-3 weeks. Every ~2 months, he takes the chain off to give it a deep clean / lube but also runs another chain, so they are both wearing at similar rates. He swears he gets better longevity from his gear. I’m considering getting second chain @385km and counting….

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Yes the Raleigh "Record" was a world apart from my home made bike and it made a big difference to my road riding back then.

lt might have actually been twelve speed thinking back.

l tried road biking about three years ago, bought a fairly good bike and all the gear.

But l wasn't enjoying it, every ride felt like a test of endurance rather than an enjoyable pastime.
l certainly got fitter though.

Also l didn't like actually riding on the road, too many cars, maybe l should have joined a club and ridden with a group.

Vasspi

Jan 13, 2020
Greece
The first KMC chain on my Kenevo Expert changed at 257km and I was riding trails only and fire roads inside the forest ....So soon ☹️
I sold it with 475km after 1 year , so there is no update...I replaced the original KMC chain with Shimano chain dedicated for e-bikes..
My current Levo SL has performed only 536 km and the chain is brand new !
Smaller motor , lower torque, less wear ....that’s how it goes ..

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
My Kona Remote E160 is now on 450 miles and the chain is still showing 0.25 on the Park Tools chain checker.

l've cleaned, de greased and re oiled the chain regularly.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l never did on my old bike, but when l found out the cost of a SRAM chain for my Ebike l
dusted off the the chain degreaser kit that l got two Christmases ago and never used.

Pilotfromdk

Nov 28, 2020
Saeby, Denmark
Last year I bought my first Emtb. Before that I had a MTB in the garage just because that was what everybody else had... :)
I wanted to be on top of the maintenance so I got the "best" chain oile with all the bells and whistles, and PFTP :)
BUT.... I was just chewing trough cassettes and chains. So "upgraded" from Shimano 7100 series to 8200... Same shit, different day...
Yet another 8200 went on. About 500Km in it started jumping gears... again... I ordered another cassette+chain :( Before it arrived I thought:
Well enough is enough! I then ordered a SRAM AXS XX1kit and a 1299 10-52 cassette! What a change, and joy to ride!! :) BUT.... I chewed up that fu... expencive cassette in precise 1077km :( Well... the show must go on! :) I ordered the less expencive 1275 12speed 10-52. that one lasted for 1392Km. Ordered a new 1275 10-52... This time I did a deep clean of the whole drivetrain and changed from "oil" to "water based wax". Just to be safe in "these times" I ordered 2 extra cassettes+chains to get through the summer :) To my big surprise, I have NOT changed anything since !??! I'm now on +1500km and everything works without any problems. Just checked the chain, no wear (y) :giggle: And the best of it all, it have not skipped a gear (yet). Shimano just announced they have a new drivetrain made for Ebikes in the pipeline... But so far I "stick" to SRAM and wax.

Wish all a nice summer :cool:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I switched my ex1 chain at 0.60 wear with 1700 km. In that time i had to switch the smallest sprockets 1 time. Usually my sprockets wear out much faster then my chain does.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l actually use a motorcycle chain grease spray, which is a wax based product, and maybe that's why my chain has not shown any wear.

As in the post above from "Pilotfromdk" who did a lot of drivetrain testing.

Raffe

Mar 2, 2021
Sweden
l actually use a motorcycle chain grease spray, which is a wax based product, and maybe that's why my chain has not shown any wear.

As in the post above from "Pilotfromdk" who did a lot of drivetrain testing.

Hi, What motorcycle chain spray brand did you use?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles