How far do you drive with your bike?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
On the subject of clearing up trails ..I was dismayed to find a few weeks back that harvesting had closed the fantastic finale ( Twist & Shout) on the Deadwater Trail ..not least because I had invested a good few man hours personally on maintaining the trail as member of Kielder Trail Reavers in the past ..
The F.C.Ranger responsible for the trails is a shit hot rider and a mate ..and told me that 15 dumpy bags of stone had been lifted in by a forwarder..so the trail would be re-instated and ( hopefully) better than before ..its going to be a bit strange with no tree cover ..but Russell has done some tremendous work over the last few years .
I saw evidence of those bags of stone on my ride this evening ..
20210401_191506.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sounds like your mate might be the same Russell who also built a lot of the trails in Thrunton?
If so first time I ever rode there a few years back me and my mate Moray (who already knew Russell) randomly bumped into him and another guy there and although they were about to finish their ride Russell went out of his way to show us a few trails we may well have missed... really sound guy and great having someone quick to ride the trials blind behind.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I'm not sure if he has been involved over there Gary..but I will ask ..he's definitely ridden over there though..
It does sound like the same bloke as he wouldn't think twice about doing that ..?

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Before the lockdown I used to do a half hour drive to the Peak District but during the lockdown I was able to ride to the outskirts of the Peak District and back on my bike and just look for rides in the range of my battery limits that way I wouldn’t be upsetting the Covid police ?

Last edited:

maxx

Dec 17, 2020
I live in a town near Barcelona in Catalunya. I start pedaling at the door of my house. There are roads and trails in all directions, except to the south because there is the sea.
France is 130km in a straight line and you could cross the border without stepping on asphalt.
I ride 3 times a week, routes of 40 to 60 km and around 1200m ascent. Next week I will do a route of 110km and 3000m ascent. I want to test who runs out first: the battery or me.
From time to time we carry our bikes in the car and go on routes far from home. Also long tours in Spain and France.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I mostly ride at the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire which is about 45mins drive. There are also a few trails less than half an hours drive which is frustrating because they are just that little bit too far for me to cycle to. Directly behind my house is Cleeve Common, accessible by single track from my village so no driving there. It's OK but not in the same league as FOD.

Al

Ricky_1973

Mar 28, 2021
Netherlands
I'm lucky to live just about next to a trail in the woods so I tend to ride (at least a good part of) it just about everyday - slightly depends on the weather, when it is pooring down buckets of water it doesn't make sense to go for a ride but when I can a moment just in between some showers I mostly like to go for a spin. I've mostly worked from home since the last 20 years which gives me the benefit that I can take a tad bit longer lunch and instead of having lunch I munch away a part of the trail for an hour or so.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Without a car, i never drive, that is why i own an Ebike. I ride to the trails and back.
It is usualy 7 miles or less one way.
This is the only way.
Sleeping close to the trails i can ride almost every single day year round.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I don't even own a car these days, so the answer is 0.

Luckily I have the closest nice trails only 5 km from my home, I just ride there. Occasionally I ride to the railway station and haul my bike on a local train for 15-20 km to reach other trails whenever I feel getting bored riding only the local trails.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
1 - 2 Hours to get to some of the best riding areas in the southern hemisphere.
Helped build the local track 20 something years ago and maintained it until around 10 years past. No longer ride there as it just does not fizz me anymore. Subsequent track managers have worked at dumbing down anything technical allowing gumbies to ride the fun stuff and putting jumps all over the track. Time would be much better spent covering up all the roots that have had the soil ripped off them and filling in all the 6" x 6" grooves worn all around the place.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
I think he was just interested in what other people do because obviously he must do the same thing.
Well, no, actually I don't. I take the bike with me on the back of our van on holiday with ancient husband but that's more for shopping and visiting places without having to find a parking spot. My riding is rather bland compared to most of you, gravel and grass, and either around home or touring, return by train or a round trip. You are forgiven for the "he" .

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
So far I've done most of my usual haunts and a few more riding from my front door. The pedal assist changes things enough that a little extra pedaling effort isn't so bad when viewed against the hassle of loading/unloading/driving with the car.

In fairness, I'm pretty sure the tread on my Maxxis Minions isn't happy with me. They seem pretty worn and I haven't even had the bike for two months.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
It means in Australia you drink lots and lots of beer because in Australia we call beer "piss"....... "I'm getting on the piss".. "gee i was pissed".."look how pissed he is".. "what a pissed idiot"...understand?
With a heart arrhythmia I've had to stop drinking for the most part, but I used to get pissed often... ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It means in Australia you drink lots and lots of beer because in Australia we call beer "piss"....... "I'm getting on the piss".. "gee i was pissed".."look how pissed he is".. "what a pissed idiot"...understand?
So does "Piss Off" mean goto the pub and get me a beer ?

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I drive anything from 20mins to 1 hour to get to various trails around my area , Kirkhill, Scolty hill , Drumtochty, Durris, Pitfichie to name a few ?

Normally go a few times a year to Fort William , Laggan , etc normally sleep in my van for far afield journeys but take tents etc when there are a few of us ? couldn't do without my van tbh

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The only good riding near me is 7 miles away so I ride to that. Everything else is a trip in the car. Cleeve Hill (waves at @JoeBlow ) is 18 miles and not overly exciting so I only go when there's no livestock out so I can take my dog. FoD is an hour and where I spend most of my time. Cannock is and hour and a quarter and I do my very best to avoid it if I can. In fact, if I lived by Cannock I'd still drive to Fod...

Cwm Carn is 90 minutes, Afan and BPW 2 hours. Any more than that and I'm looking at making a weekend of it.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I sometimes have a 35 min drive to the "local" trail centre at Whinlatter. the drive is quite far for me I hate driving, but when I'm there I often meet people from the north east that have just popped over for the day?‍♂️
more often I like to ride from home, used to take 30 mins, now with an ebike I can do it in 15mins to the top of the first trail

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The moors, woods & trails are around a six mile uphill ride from my house so plenty to do locally luckily, but also think nothing of driving further afield. Haven’t driven far yet though mainly because of lockdown and due to the fact I currently have a saloon so can only fit one bike in the boot with front wheel & peddles off. I ride with my gf so need two bikes

Have an SUV coming soon and with lockdown being lifted I expect to be driving with two bikes for at least two / three hours to Scottish Borders, Lake District, Peak District etc. I enjoy exploring new areas as well as riding locally

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I sometimes have a 35 min drive to the "local" trail centre at Whinlatter. the drive is quite far for me I hate driving, but when I'm there I often meet people from the north east that have just popped over for the day?‍♂️
more often I like to ride from home, used to take 30 mins, now with an ebike I can do it in 15mins to the top of the first trail

Whinlatter is one of the places we are planning on going as soon as we can book accommodation for the weekend

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
My normal "go-to" trails are about 10 minutes away, and the longest I drive for my "regular" trails is about 35-45 minutes. For my dirt bike, trail options are more limited, so I'll usually have to drive 90-120 minutes. And for MTB vacations, I've driven as far as 12 hours.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Yeah ..its within easy reach 1.5 hours ( if that ) from where I live in Northumberland ..I like Whinlatter as it has quite a "natural" feel to the trails .

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
I know the feeling Trying to change the pedals that were put on by a gorilla. Think I might go for a ride to the bike shop. Will have to buy something though, rather than just turn up with stuff I got at Decathlon. Hmmm. Now what goodies do I need?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles