How noisy is too noisy ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH Master
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Done a couple of group rides of late and have had comments from others saying they can hear the Levo motor weiring away. I have noticed it a little louder of late too and I'm fairly deaf. I brought it new with only 150km on it, so don't know how loud it should be new.
So how loud is too loud ?

Rob Hancill

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Ride
Levo Expert
Done a couple of group rides of late and have had comments from others saying they can hear the Levo motor weiring away. I have noticed it a little louder of late too and I'm fairly deaf. I brought it new with only 150km on it, so don't know how loud it should be new.
So how loud is too loud ?
Hmm, shouldn’t be too noisy. In my experience the Brose is pretty quiet. Which is yours, the 2017 (1.2) or 2018 (1.3) motor?

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Yeah it really shouldn't be audible to others. I can barely just notice it on boost on hill climbs, but my friends can't.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
1.2 motors were a bit variable in noise, the mission control settings make a big difference . try knocking the assist level back to say 80% in turbo and see if it quietens down.
1.3 motors are much quieter, l cant hear mine at all except when i push it really hard in turbo and then its just a quiet hum.
if you have any doubts take it back spesh are very good with warranty.

outerlimits

E*POWAH Master
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
It’s a 2018 and it makes a noticeable whir. Others do comment they hear it.
Wondered if it was my imagination...

Jul 25, 2018
US
I noticed that whirling sound in lower gears get unusually louder today too..

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
My PW yamaha is so freakin loud. Good thing that I like that sort of music, but still.

I don't think it's possible for your motor to just get louder like that. Maybe record a video so other Levo owners will notice if something sounds off.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I have found that its very quiet until you are turning the cranks past the assistance level, so if you put it in eco, select an easy gear and crank away at a high cadence, it has a kind of whir, almost a shriek. Just trickling along on the assistance without pedalling past it is very quiet

Jul 28, 2018
Market Deeping
Ride
Levo comp
I have found that its very quiet until you are turning the cranks past the assistance level, so if you put it in eco, select an easy gear and crank away at a high cadence, it has a kind of whir, almost a shriek. Just trickling along on the assistance without pedalling past it is very quiet
This sounds like a problem I had with my Levo. When you get close to the motor speed cut out limit and generally at high cadence there was an audiable shreaking nosie. It was really annoying.
I took it back the dealer (Rutland cycles) who agreed that it was noisy. They “lubricated” it and sent me on my way, and to try it and see if It was any different. It wasn’t, I returned and left it with them. A week later it was returned to me with a new motor install. The difference is like chalk and cheese. Really quiet now

Jul 25, 2018
US
Wow ok so this isn't normal? I was able to duplicate it today. High cadence, lower gears, on eco and whirling sound gets louder. Does anyone else notice this?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Ride
2019 Fathom
My PW yamaha is so freakin loud. Good thing that I like that sort of music, but still.

I don't think it's possible for your motor to just get louder like that. Maybe record a video so other Levo owners will notice if something sounds off.
Maybe get a db meter app on your phone and snapshot the peak history.
I have a PW on my Giant and haven't noticed too much noise, but hey, it can be subjective

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Ride
SW T Levo
I would have it checked out. I can barely hear mine.

Aug 7, 2018
Derbyshire, UK
Ride
Kenevo soon
Wow ok so this isn't normal? I was able to duplicate it today. High cadence, lower gears, on eco and whirling sound gets louder. Does anyone else notice this?
Yep, I'm getting this on my new Kenevo and was wondering if it was something wrong

outerlimits

E*POWAH Master
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Did you ever get it checked out?
No, but it’s still going strong and it’s got another 1500km on it now. I don’t notice it now. It was happening on some low speed hills after riding a bit with low candence.
If you pedal harder and faster than the motor spins you can get s definite motor whir as your legs over power the motor rpm.

Latest threads

Become a Patron!

Trending