How noisy is too noisy ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Done a couple of group rides of late and have had comments from others saying they can hear the Levo motor weiring away. I have noticed it a little louder of late too and I'm fairly deaf. I brought it new with only 150km on it, so don't know how loud it should be new.
So how loud is too loud ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Done a couple of group rides of late and have had comments from others saying they can hear the Levo motor weiring away. I have noticed it a little louder of late too and I'm fairly deaf. I brought it new with only 150km on it, so don't know how loud it should be new.
So how loud is too loud ?
Hmm, shouldn’t be too noisy. In my experience the Brose is pretty quiet. Which is yours, the 2017 (1.2) or 2018 (1.3) motor?

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Yeah it really shouldn't be audible to others. I can barely just notice it on boost on hill climbs, but my friends can't.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
1.2 motors were a bit variable in noise, the mission control settings make a big difference . try knocking the assist level back to say 80% in turbo and see if it quietens down.
1.3 motors are much quieter, l cant hear mine at all except when i push it really hard in turbo and then its just a quiet hum.
if you have any doubts take it back spesh are very good with warranty.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
It’s a 2018 and it makes a noticeable whir. Others do comment they hear it.
Wondered if it was my imagination...

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
My PW yamaha is so freakin loud. Good thing that I like that sort of music, but still.

I don't think it's possible for your motor to just get louder like that. Maybe record a video so other Levo owners will notice if something sounds off.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I have found that its very quiet until you are turning the cranks past the assistance level, so if you put it in eco, select an easy gear and crank away at a high cadence, it has a kind of whir, almost a shriek. Just trickling along on the assistance without pedalling past it is very quiet

Jul 28, 2018
Market Deeping
I have found that its very quiet until you are turning the cranks past the assistance level, so if you put it in eco, select an easy gear and crank away at a high cadence, it has a kind of whir, almost a shriek. Just trickling along on the assistance without pedalling past it is very quiet
This sounds like a problem I had with my Levo. When you get close to the motor speed cut out limit and generally at high cadence there was an audiable shreaking nosie. It was really annoying.
I took it back the dealer (Rutland cycles) who agreed that it was noisy. They “lubricated” it and sent me on my way, and to try it and see if It was any different. It wasn’t, I returned and left it with them. A week later it was returned to me with a new motor install. The difference is like chalk and cheese. Really quiet now

rodriry

Jul 25, 2018
US
Wow ok so this isn't normal? I was able to duplicate it today. High cadence, lower gears, on eco and whirling sound gets louder. Does anyone else notice this?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
My PW yamaha is so freakin loud. Good thing that I like that sort of music, but still.

I don't think it's possible for your motor to just get louder like that. Maybe record a video so other Levo owners will notice if something sounds off.
Maybe get a db meter app on your phone and snapshot the peak history.
I have a PW on my Giant and haven't noticed too much noise, but hey, it can be subjective

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Did you ever get it checked out?
No, but it’s still going strong and it’s got another 1500km on it now. I don’t notice it now. It was happening on some low speed hills after riding a bit with low candence.
If you pedal harder and faster than the motor spins you can get s definite motor whir as your legs over power the motor rpm.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
thats exactly what mines doing

Likewise. A mate has managed to kill his bearings, so as well as the howl when you pedal past the assistance, it has a kinda bearing shriek buzz too. It's a very different and noticible noise compared to a healthy one

madcow

Jan 28, 2019
DE
My Levo 2018 / 1.3 motor is really quiet compared to other.
Only at extrem high cadence I am getting the well known whirling sound.
But I do not come often in this area. So totally fine for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles